Can you eat anything you want?

Options
I have lost 16 lbs since I started dieting in mid November and my husband is considering reducing his calories as well. The only problem is that he and I eat very differently. I'm by nature a very plain and picky eater who enjoys eating the same things repeatedly. He is a junk food junkie who hates veggies or anything healthy. It's amazing to me that he is only overweight by maybe 5 to 10 lbs. Now, my question is, can you eat ANYTHING you want as long as you stay under your calorie limit?He works during the day and doesn't usually eat anything until 4pm when he has an early dinner. So can he just save his 1,800 cals to eat a big dinner and still lose weight? He is a big McDonalds junkie, so a couple double cheeseburgers is still under his calorie limit so if he ate junk like that every night would he still lose weight just due to being under his limit? I'm hoping he will make healthier choices as he sees changes, but at least he is starting somewhere and it's my job to be supportive of him and not lecture him. In theory, will his plan work for him?

Replies

• dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    yes, he will lose weight. no, he will not be healthy.
  • Motivated_Mom_4
    Options
    I'm hoping he will slowly make healthy changes as he starts to pay attention to the calories in foods he is eating now that he will actually have a calorie limit for himself. Since he decided on his own to lose a few pounds without me lecturing or nagging him, I'm hoping he will slowly start adding in more healthy foods as well. Small steps I suppose.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely. Especially if you keep healthy things in the house, cook healthy meals, etc..
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If he sticks to his calorie goal, yes.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    His metabolism is higher than yours. I know how you feel. I cant eat anything I want, even if its within my calorie limit. I have to cut out almost all red meat and all dairy. My best friend on the other hand can eat pizza and pasta all the time and stay skinny. Definitely makes me jealous sometimes!

You could try putting cheese/sauce on vegetables. Nothing like cheese and broccoli right? Stir fry is another good dish thats still packed with veggies.
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    Anyone can loose weight if they are burnng more calories than they are eating. It will come down to whether he is eating nutrient dense calories, or empty calories. The more natural the foods (non processed, non refined) the more nutrient rich they are. Also, some foods are more thermic than others which make a difference in the end.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. However; there are some things to keep in mind. If he doesn't eat all day long and then eats one big meal, he's going to mess up his metabolism. Even if it's something like a handful of almonds within an hour of waking up and another small snack in the middle of the day, it'd be better than not eating at all all day long. We keep a stock of snack bars that are high fiber and protein for me and my husband to grab if we really do not feel like eating but know we should.

As far as the eat anything you want idea, some people really can with no problem. Others can't. I have a good sized no no list because the items on it cause me to feel hungry even when I shouldn't be.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In theory, will his plan work for him?
    Some people say this will work. Because calories in < calories out = weight loss. It doesn't work for me. I can eat a large bag of chips and still be hungry. I eat a cup of broccoli or grapes and I'm full for hours. So healthy foods make me feel full. Junk food leaves me hungry.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If it fit your calorie target and macros go for it. Eating healthier is not necessary for weight loss only a calorie deficit. Eventually the healthier choices will start to be incorporated. If you don't have junk at home and do some cooking with portion control and good nutrition he will get on step.

losing weight does not have to mean losing variety and flavor.
  • Motivated_Mom_4
    Options
    I will see if I can get him to eat and home with the kids and I maybe even once a week to start with. He normally has his dinner right after work before coming home with his cousin who is a single guy that doesn't cook who eats the same way my husband does. They usually commute together so while he and his cousin are out grabbing burgers and eating out, I'm at home with the kiddos having our own dinner. He normally comes in, has dessert with us and then washes up the dishes lol. The idea of putting cheese over broccoli may be a good way to introduce veggies to him. I just want to be as careful with my words and actions and be respectful to him as possible in the process. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    other people seem to be able to but I have to watch my fats & carbs. I am pre-diabetic. Good luck. I work with a bunch of folks who are thin and eat whatever they want all the time!
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Here is someone who did it:

http://www.myspace.com/leanmonkey/blog/176090863

I think the biggest problem with eating "junk" is portion/appetite control.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, yes. To be healthy, no.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want so long as it fits my daily fiber, macro and calorie goal.
    And if I eat too much, more exercise can offset the situation.
    Diet food is too yucky for me to eat exclusively.
    I need good, clean foods :flowerforyou: mixed with some very naughty dirty foods.:devil:
    Your husband and I would probably get along just fine...
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat cyanide you won't ever do it again… But you can eat it.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sure, make sure to stay under calories and other things such as fat, carbs, or whatever else you may track. I like a big dinner too so I bank some of my calories. I will eat a small breakfast, small lunch, snacks, and have my big dinner. If I ever feel hungry inbetween those times, I eat. Also, on NYE, I had a 16oz steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, roughly 1/4 of an onion blossom, 3 potato skins with cheese and bacon, and bacon wrapped smokies. NYD, I had half of cheese bread from Papa Johns which is basically like a cheese pizza plus two huge slices of pizza. I still lost 1.8lbs this week. Win. I don't do that all the time though, but I gave myself a break for the holidays.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping he will slowly make healthy changes as he starts to pay attention to the calories in foods he is eating now that he will actually have a calorie limit for himself. Since he decided on his own to lose a few pounds without me lecturing or nagging him, I'm hoping he will slowly start adding in more healthy foods as well. Small steps I suppose.

If there's any secret, this is it - take small steps and slowly improve it with time. And yes, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss so that alone is a good step.

And BTW - very well done on taking this approach with your husband! It will work, just give it time.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Fast food and processed food calories are used differently by the body than natural whole food calories. Even though his macros are on target for his goal, the lack of fiber and the high sugar and sodium content of fast food will turn to fat more quickly than if you had made a cheeseburger at home on a whole wheat bun with a side of potatoes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fast food and processed food calories are used differently by the body than natural whole food calories. Even though his macros are on target for his goal, the lack of fiber and the high sugar and sodium content of fast food will turn to fat more quickly than if you had made a cheeseburger at home on a whole wheat bun with a side of potatoes.
    This clinical study says otherwise:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

From the summary:
    ...In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.