my kid is my running partner ... is this ok??

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

I've run my share of 5km and 10km races and there are almost always kids involved. The below from Runner's World discusses kids as young as 11 running a marathon though one doctor quoted does think that the younger ones should be doing 5-10Ks rather than marathons. Don't be so alarmist, no one here is suggesting their kids go do Badwater.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/ask-kid-experts
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

kids have been running for centurys
    we have all done trac in school
    in our schools in canada they do a fitness test which includes
    how many laps of the trac can you do in 12 min :)
    kids need to be active child obisity is out of hand more kids should be doing this
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

I've run my share of 5km and 10km races and there are almost always kids involved. The below from Runner's World discusses kids as young as 11 running a marathon though one doctor quoted does think that the younger ones should be doing 5-10Ks rather than marathons. Don't be so alarmist, no one here is suggesting their kids go do Badwater.

ok...just be careful

kids will out run adults when adults know its time to slow down
  • aicenhour81
    Options
    I think it's wonderful! My son would run with me during my warm up laps and then would have him bike along side (or ahead when he was "winning" lol). Regardless, he will never forget this time with you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

ok...just be careful

Fair enough. And you don't want to be "that guy" telling your kid to suck it up when he's beet red and limping!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ask a professional

seriously

You think only a professional can figure out whether or not kids should run? lmao

Seriously, before there were TVs and video games, running is what kids did, and they did it a LOT faster, harder, and more often than *ANY* grown-up.
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it. Better to have an active kid than one sitting on a video game all day!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    ask a professional

seriously

You think only a professional can figure out whether or not kids should run? lmao

Seriously, before there were TVs and video games, running is what kids did, and they did it a LOT faster, harder, and more often than *ANY* grown-up.

uhh...... we were talking about racing and training for racing in adult races along side adults,,,not just running around like kids

nice way to leap at me before you looked

OUCH
  • megweg1
    megweg1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ran with my dad as a kid. It was great. He's still very fit at 86. I have a lot of work to do!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

ok...just be careful

Hardly. Kids don't have the ego that lands adults with overuse injuries. When they are uncomfortable they walk. Sometimes they walk because they don't "feel like" running. I've coached Girls On The Run and my own kid. It's RARE to find a child who will run beyond their abilities unless they have a parent who is REALLY cracking the whip. Humans evolved BECAUSE we are such efficient runners and could run down prey that tired after a few miles. It's only recently in our evolution that we view a 5k as some massive feat. It's not. A mere 5k wouldn't have even kept a person fed a few hundred years ago. A 5k takes ~30 minutes for a relatively slow adult or kid. Hardly an epic strain on the Human body.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

ok...just be careful

Hardly. Kids don't have the ego that lands adults with overuse injuries. When they are uncomfortable they walk. Sometimes they walk because they don't "feel like" running. I've coached Girls On The Run and my own kid. It's RARE to find a child who will run beyond their abilities unless they have a parent who is REALLY cracking the whip. Humans evolved BECAUSE we are such efficient runners and could run down prey that tired after a few miles. It's only recently in our evolution that we view a 5k as some massive feat. It's not. A mere 5k wouldn't have even kept a person fed a few hundred years ago. A 5k takes ~30 minutes for a relatively slow adult or kid. Hardly an epic strain on the Human body.

you seem to be missing my point.........I AM talking about "a parent who is REALLY cracking the whip" (your words) as in a race or training for a race. I am not saying the OP would do this but he asked if it was ok for his 9 yr old to train with him. I never said dont do it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    ask a professional

seriously

uhh...... we were talking about racing and training for racing in adult races along side adults,,,not just running around like kids

nice way to leap at me before you looked

OUCH

He's talking about the Couch to 5k! And I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember when kids ran for 3 miles and never "trained" for it. We could outrun any adult out there. :laugh: :wink:

Kids are natural runners. Kids that *aren't* running are the ones to worry about, not kids that run with their parents. Kids are *supposed* to run. And actually kids know their limits much better than adults. Adults are more likely to push themselves too hard. Kids just like to have fun.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Absolutely fine!

and your qualifications?

ok...just be careful

you seem to be missing my point.........I AM talking about "a parent who is REALLY cracking the whip" (your words) as in a race or training for a race. I am not saying the OP would do this but he asked if it was ok for his 9 yr old to train with him. I never said dont do it.

Then you are the one doing the "leaping," as you put it. The OP is talking about C25k. It's best to read the OP before commenting.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It's only recently in our evolution that we view a 5k as some massive feat. It's not. A mere 5k wouldn't have even kept a person fed a few hundred years ago. A 5k takes ~30 minutes for a relatively slow adult or kid. Hardly an epic strain on the Human body.

So true! It's easy-peasy, hardly the Boston Marathon.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My oldest ran his first 5k with me when he was 10. He did fine and if he wanted to walk some of it we did. Personally I think it's great your child wants to run with you. There is nothing wrong with it!