Portion Control

Options
Is anyone just eating what they want but using portion control? I've had to start doing that, due to lack of $, and was just wondering if anyone had any luck with it.

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I started last March, I measured EVERYTHING and did GREAT...that and I started to exercise. When I started eyeballing portions, the pounds started coming back...and bringing friends.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. I can't give up my favorite foods, I just portion everything.
  • Lynn304
    Options
    I have been doing Portion control, like this and counting calories as well.
    ◦ A golf ball is the size of a serving of nuts (including peanut butter) or cheese.
    ◦ A deck of playing cards is equivalent to 3 ounces of any meat.
    ◦ Use a die to estimate a proper serving of oils and fats.
    ◦ For fruit and veggie servings, use a tennis ball.
    ◦ One serving of cooked grains or potatoes is about the size of a computer mouse.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5lbs doing the what I want but portion. I log it first to see what I can have. Tonight, for example, is pizza night. It used to be pizza, wings, dipping sauce, chips, garlic bread with cheese night until I burst night but now: 2 pieces of thin crust pepperoni pizza, one garlic bread and a coke zero night. For the first night of tracking (apart from the expected Christmas tomfoolery) I will be using up most of my calories - I have been eating between 1200 and 1300 most days - but I have up to 1780 to meet my goal but I am trying to go lower than that.

I had four quality streets (candies today) at 44 calories each...you can do all of this but have to reign in your worst impulses and build your better ones. That is what I have found thus far with MFP: you start to look at things and realize just how much some of the nonsense is costing you in terms of weight and health - like granola bars - used to think they were healthy but when they are like 160 calories for a snack you sort of start to think: 'hmmm not at the gym today and not running a marathon...maybe not!'

As for lack of money - if you buy things for your recipes, based on a meal plan for each week you might find that helps your budget. Also, if you make a larger sized item you can freeze (like chilli) you might save a bit again on that. Some communities have those fruit and vegetable boxes you can order that are a good deal - or find someone who would like to split larger quantities of fruit and veg and meats at costco and the like with you so that you get the deals that family sized things give but don't have to bear the weight of buying it all on your own.

Good luck!
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    Funny story: my husband tried to make me lunch today.
    It.
    Did.
    Not.
    End.
    Well.
    He was making cheese melts (with like 10" of cheese - which I love and lust after) and I got really grumpy and told him 'you know I can't eat that!!' <especially when I will be having a 200 cal a slice pizza tonight (gargh...Godzilla like stomping ensued). He then poured me 2 cups worth of 2% milk. Head on table because dairy and sausages are the things I could probably eat myself to death on and have little to no control on...Jesus wept.
    It took me about 30 minutes to get myself back to a reasonable state...now that I resisted and stuck to my plan I have enough calories left over for a very nice 8 oz glass of red wine...in the tub or watching a film - mummy time will be very nice indeed!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Portion control works very well and allows you to eat what you want within reason. Invest $10 - $20 in a kitchen scale that converts to both ozs. and grams and weigh everything you eat.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Funny story: my husband tried to make me lunch today.
    It.
    Did.
    Not.
    End.
    Well.
    He was making cheese melts (with like 10" of cheese - which I love and lust after) and I got really grumpy and told him 'you know I can't eat that!!' <especially when I will be having a 200 cal a slice pizza tonight (gargh...Godzilla like stomping ensued). He then poured me 2 cups worth of 2% milk. Head on table because dairy and sausages are the things I could probably eat myself to death on and have little to no control on...Jesus wept.
    It took me about 30 minutes to get myself back to a reasonable state...now that I resisted and stuck to my plan I have enough calories left over for a very nice 8 oz glass of red wine...in the tub or watching a film - mummy time will be very nice indeed!

Heh I have had similar situations; my boyfriend loves to cook for me but he forgets that he can lose weight at 2100 calories a day and I only get 1400 -.-

Also, the other day he went to the store and asked if I wanted anything and I said
    "something sugarfree from the candy section" and he came back and said
    "They didn't have anything sugarfree so here's a kit kat bar and 2 reeses cups, I know you like those."

LOL they have good intentions but it's frustrating.

To the original poster, it works if you stay within your calorie goal. There is no need to completely switch to healthy foods you don't like all the time, but if you add a few healthy snacks you can have larger portions of them for the same calories and it might help you stay full longer =]. I just watched portions of my normal foods for the first month on here and lost 8 pounds.
  • UKMarjie
    Options

Heh I have had similar situations; my boyfriend loves to cook for me but he forgets that he can lose weight at 2100 calories a day and I only get 1400 -.-

Also, the other day he went to the store and asked if I wanted anything and I said
    "They didn't have anything sugarfree so here's a kit kat bar and 2 reeses cups, I know you like those."

That made me laugh. He cuts out something like cola and loses 10 in a week. LOL
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I am able to stick to this so-called diet (I don't like to call it a diet; seems too temporary) is because I eat absolutely anything I want. I just watch my calories, so I would not even say it is portion control. It is calorie control.

Mostly, I eat healthy-ish food. But, I always fit in something that would make a clean eater cringe. In fact, w/in the first couple of months, there were two ocassions where I had a delicious Cold Stone Creamery cookies and coffee ice cream shake for Lunch/Dinner. I wanted it. I had it. The only other thing I ate was cereal for breakfast. Two meals on those days, and really high in fat and calories, but stayed w/in my calorie limit. In terms of weight loss, I could do this every day. In terms of good health, I cannot do this every day. So, I do it once in a long while.

Anyway, the point is, calorie control keeps me losing weight. :)
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Too funny!! Although that does sound like my husband. They mean well, but it does get frustrating at times. Mine will ask me if I want anything to drink from the store, and I'll tell him to just get me some bottled water, to which he replies "what kind of candy do you want?" "None, thank you."
    When he comes out of the store he will have candy for the kids, and will tell me he went ahead and got me some anyway in case I changed my mind. As far as my bottled water...he can't find the one I like, so he got me a Sprite instead!
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I've been doing portion control, or what my sister n law says that me not liking my food touching is my portion control. I've been trying to stay away from sweets and junk food, and I seem to be doing pretty good with that. Saying "no" to junk food does not seem to be a problem. Of course I give myself one day a week where I can have 1 sweet or junk food.
  • Kari0510
    Kari0510 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh or measure everything out. I'm to the point now where I can usually eyeball the right amount. I invested in a digital kitchen scale at about $20. Best thing ever!! Works really good. Another thing I noticed that helps is using one of my 2years old's spoons. It takes me longer to eat because the spoon is so small so I'm not cramming large spoonfuls into my mouth and eating too fast to wear I don't feel satisfied. I also only put small amounts of food on my forks at a time as well. I've come to realize the faster I eat the less satisfied I am. The slower I eat the much more satisfied I am. So the smaller portions go along way when you take smaller bites.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Portion control, like this and counting calories as well.
    ◦ A golf ball is the size of a serving of nuts (including peanut butter) or cheese.
    ◦ A deck of playing cards is equivalent to 3 ounces of any meat.
    ◦ Use a die to estimate a proper serving of oils and fats.
    ◦ For fruit and veggie servings, use a tennis ball.
    ◦ One serving of cooked grains or potatoes is about the size of a computer mouse.

That is a great way to look at it. I am going to keep a copy of your list. Thanks!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I am able to stick to this so-called diet (I don't like to call it a diet; seems too temporary) is because I eat absolutely anything I want. I just watch my calories, so I would not even say it is portion control. It is calorie control.

Mostly, I eat healthy-ish food. But, I always fit in something that would make a clean eater cringe. In fact, w/in the first couple of months, there were two ocassions where I had a delicious Cold Stone Creamery cookies and coffee ice cream shake for Lunch/Dinner. I wanted it. I had it. The only other thing I ate was cereal for breakfast. Two meals on those days, and really high in fat and calories, but stayed w/in my calorie limit. In terms of weight loss, I could do this every day. In terms of good health, I cannot do this every day. So, I do it once in a long while.

Anyway, the point is, calorie control keeps me losing weight. :)

This is exactly right. The only thing I have done is to limit my calorie intake and have lost 43 lbs. To me it is simple, calories in vs. calories burned. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight. There are other reasons to eat healthy and execisze, but as far as just losing weight, it's that simple.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yes...I pretty much eat what I want...but measure and weigh almost everything. I stick to a 1700 per day and it's helped me get off my insulin for my diabetes.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Portion control works very well and allows you to eat what you want within reason. Invest $10 - $20 in a kitchen scale that converts to both ozs. and grams and weigh everything you eat.

^^ This!! I had a Bacon Egg and cheese sandwich tonight with 6 FULL slices of bacon... and an In and Out burger Thurs... It is just a matter of what fits into your cals!!!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I count my portions and do well with that. I do not spend more money because I am on a diet. In fact, I probably spend less. I buy vegetables, fruit and salad that are on sale. Some of the favorite cheap items I always buy are carrots, celery, bananas, apples, oranges, spring mix salad, iceburg lettuce and bagged lettuce. Peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers are frequently a decent price. In the summer melon is cheap.
  • sariannach
    Options
    I've lost 29 lbs doing just that. I have rheumatoid arthritis that hurts a heck of a lot more in winter, but if I overdo it in the summer that can mess me over too. My previous two diets involved running for exercise and within two weeks I would always hurt my knee AND get my metabolism up enough that I was hungrier than normal...which led to overeating as I sat on my butt trying not to hurt my knee more. This time, I'm focusing on managing my calories and not worrying about exercise; I wear my Fitbit and track food religiously, and it works well for me. I didn't worry too much about losing weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and plateaued for that period (stay below TDEE and win!), but it's time to focus again.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of both. I try to eat as healthy as I can, not to mention most of my favorite foods are healthy (berries, nuts, spinach, greek yogurt), but there are some foods that I find hard to resist (takis omg) and I know that I will get derailed if I don't allow myself to have them. So, instead of being like "no no no you can't" and then binging when I can't resist anymore, I have it in moderation. I think it's key to the lifestyle instead of just being a temporary diet. But, I want to be healthy, too, so I try my best to eat the foods that I know are good for me. "Eat to live, don't live to eat"
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Don't be fooled by bogus 'servings'.
    It's the biggest con trick of the food industry.
    They're made up by marketing departments.
    A male body builder and a little old lady can't have the same 'serving'.

It doesn't matter how big a serving you have.
    Just use a digital scale for calorie dense foods, log everything, and stay within your daily allowance.