Juicing fruits and veggies question

Options
I like the idea of juicing raw vegs plus some fruit to get in plenty of healthy veggies in my diet. I just have a question for those that juice. After your juice the vegs and/or fruit there is the leftover pulp in the machine. Isn't this part of the goodness you are not drinking, like the fiber? Am I wrong in thinking this way? Please explain.

Does any1 here just puree everything and consume a veg/fruit drink like a smoothie?

Replies

• craftybirdy
    Options
    You're correct, with most juicers you are losing the fiber in the pulp. If you like pulp, you can add it back in to the drink. I usually just make sure I'm getting enough fiber from other foods I eat throughout the day and not worry about the juice. If you are on a juice fast, then you may need a supplement to meet your fiber needs.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    thank you for replying.

i don't intend on doing a juice fast. I am just wanting a way to easily include more raw veggies into my diet. I googled this after posting and concluded I should just do veggie/fruit (green) smoothies and if it is too thick just add some water. I also wouldn't have to buy an additional appliance.
    Thanks again for posting. I hope you have a good morning :)
    You're correct, with most juicers you are losing the fiber in the pulp. If you like pulp, you can add it back in to the drink. I usually just make sure I'm getting enough fiber from other foods I eat throughout the day and not worry about the juice. If you are on a juice fast, then you may need a supplement to meet your fiber needs.
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    I bought a Nutribullet about a week ago. I LOVE IT! I cannot say enough great things about it. Unlike a juicer it blends up anything (even nuts and seeds) into a great smoothie. I add a handful of mixed greens to every smoothie too and I can't even taste that they are in there. You don't lose the fiber like you would with a juicer either. It was only $99 at Target. My kids beg me for smoothies every day now and I always add kale, chard and spinach to their strawberry banana smoothie and they can't even tell! This is the best kitchen gadget that I have ever owned, and they didn't even pay me to say that. lol
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some people take the leftover vegetable pulp and cook with it; I've heard of incorporating it into soups, sauces and gravys.

I've put apple pulp in sweet things too.

http://www.thekitchn.com/7-ways-to-use-juicer-pulp-131801
    Here's one link and a google search can lead to many other ways to use the pulp.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have always heard drink your vegetables and eat your fruit.
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of juicing raw vegs plus some fruit to get in plenty of healthy veggies in my diet. I just have a question for those that juice. After your juice the vegs and/or fruit there is the leftover pulp in the machine. Isn't this part of the goodness you are not drinking, like the fiber? Am I wrong in thinking this way? Please explain.

Does any1 here just puree everything and consume a veg/fruit drink like a smoothie?

I juice the vegetables and then smoothie the fruit. for example my breakfast juice- i juice the carrots, spinach, ginger, lime, cucumber and celery. then i but it in a blender with 2 apples and 1/4 avocado so i'm still getting juice and pulp. Sometimes putting the pulp back makes it taste horrible!!!
    if you are on a juice fast and need fibre, maybe sub one or two meals for salads and high fibre veggie soups
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

They both have their benefits both juicing and smoothies. The leftover pulp is the fiber and that I throw it in my vermicomposting worm farm or just dump it in my front yard to fertilize my lawn. I juice because the benefit of juicing is that your body doesn't have to work in breaking it down so it absorbs the nutrients instantly and you get the benefits right away.You wouldn't be able to handle the amount of nutrition that you get from juice if you were to just blend a smoothie or a shake because your body will get full right away with all the fiber. The way I get my fiber and still get the full nutrients from a juice made with lots of fruits and veggies I mix a tablespoon of psyllium into my juice and drink it right away before the psyllium expands. Either way fruits and vegetables are very healthy for you no matter how you consume them. But if you want a headstart I would recommend you juice it up.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can use the pulp for baked goods like muffins (especially an apple-carrot combo). If you can't use the pulp for anything right away you can store it in the fridge for a short amount of time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend juicing as you lose the fiber which is beneficial from a healthy body function perspective and is satiating, If you want help getting fruits and veggies in I would go the route of using a blender. There are loads of recipes out there and on here. An easy way is to throw some spinach for example in a fruit smoothie - you cannot taste it but I have to warn you it makes the smoothie a pretty awful color. You can also throw some flax in to get some fats or protein powder to supplement your protein if needed.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    Some people take the leftover vegetable pulp and cook with it; I've heard of incorporating it into soups, sauces and gravys.

I've put apple pulp in sweet things too.

http://www.thekitchn.com/7-ways-to-use-juicer-pulp-131801
    Here's one link and a google search can lead to many other ways to use the pulp.

Making a veggie soup is a great idea I've never thought of that! I'm gonna have to try that. I've also learned that you can culture your fruits and veggies for optimum nutritional benefits and I'm pretty sure it can be done with the pulp. I'm always looking for ways to not waste the pulp so I'm glad this subject was brought up.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just get smoothie maker/blender rather than a juicer. Then you keep everything, but it's pureed.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutribullet and use it every day to make a breakfast "nutriblast". I don't know if you've ever seen the infomercial for it but it is an amazing machine---much better than a juicer. It extracts the nutrients and everything you put in the cup, including skin, is broken down and liquified to drink. There is nothing wasted, no pulp to throw away. My mornings start with spinach or kale, baby carrots, berries, apples or other fruit I have on hand, hemp protein powder, chia seeds, almonds, and water to "blast". I've been "blasting" for over six months now and I couldn't bear to start my day without it.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    I know this will sound controversial to some of you but what the nutribullet infomercials tell you that it's healthier than juicing because of the fiber they are lying to you. Blenders and nutribullets etc.. blow so much air through your shakes that a lot of the nutrients become oxidized and lose a lot of their value. To get the most nutritional value out of your fruits and veggies is to either eat them or squeeze them and if you don't want to eat them the best option is a masticating juicer like the Omega J8004. Don't take my word for it just check the reviews and what the experts have to say on Amazon.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Anyone have thought on V8 fusion 100% juice. Besides more sodium than using raw fruit to make your own what are the biggest drawbacks?
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    I used to use a juicer but have found I enjoy smoothies even more. Also the blender is much easier to clean than the juicer.
    My favourite smoothie - 1/2 cup of water, 4 large kale leaves, 1/2 cup of carrots and 1 medium apple (cored). Delicious!