Do you eat your exercise calorie?

Options
I am not sure if I should be eating those calories? Would I lose quicker if I didn't? What do other people do?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    MFP builds into our daily goals a steady calorie deficit, so YES I always eat them back.
    We're all supposed to if we are using this site as directed.
    I like this, because I can exercise more to eat more, or if I goof, then I can exercise more to offset the mistake.
    I like that.
    You do what you want.
    Good Luck!
  • DonC2013
    Options
    I'm new to all this, so I am not sure but I suspect you are supposed too....the reason being that if you do not you can end up burning muscle instead of fat which will hurt you in the long run.....I'll be going under that assumption for a while to see how it goes. If someone else is out there that can help me out with this, i sure would appreciate some advise.
  • kimmytjoy
    kimmytjoy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do. Sometimes I exercise more just because there is something I want to eat and I couldn't have it unless I exercise. Other times I won't use them and they help me get past a plateau.
  • Heatherurban75
    Heatherurban75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MFP builds into out daily goals a steady calorie deficit, so YES I always eat them back.
    We're all supposed to if we are using this site as directed.
    I like this, because I can exercise more to eat more or if I goof, then I can exercise more to offset the mistake.
    I like that.
    You do what you want.
    Good Luck!

What he said
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, most of the time. Mainly because I don't wanna leave myself hungry, hate that. But if I don't I usually feel kinda tired as well and have no motivation to work out, just sit... out of energy. No wonder, cos it's like over 1k caloirie deficit for me in total because I ate 500 cals under my maintenance already and plus 500, or more, form exercises.

If you don't feel tired or don't have so much deficit I guess it's fine. But personally, I think 1k calorie deficit is little overboard anyways...
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat them, if I'm not then I don't. It's all down to personal preference and what works for you :smile:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you understand why MFP advises that you eat your calories back then you can choose not to. Simply not doing so because you think you'll lose weight faster is going to have you starting a thread "Why has my weight loss stalled? :(:(:(". This thread will have lots of people rightfully abusing you for eating 1 calorie a day.

I would aim for a reasonable daily target that is 10% less than your TDEE or do what MFP tells you to.

Caveat: I don't believe the estimated calories burnt are correct.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If I do not eat those calories back, I can really feel it in the next morning's workout. I feel weak and tire easily. So yeah, I adjust my intake based on my activity levels.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back about half, which keeps me on track with my weight loss goals pretty well.
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honestly I find I lose more when I eat the exercise calories so my answer is yes. Although I do think it varies from person to person. You just have to experiment with it and see what numbers work for you to continue losing (or to maintain if that's your goal)
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    Sometimes I'll eat them all back, sometimes none and sometimes some. Just depends how I feel on the day.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes... I eat them back... most of them anyway. Also, I don't rely on this site's estimation on what I burn... I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me EXACTLY what I am burning personally. This site is designed to give you a 1000 calorie deficit without exercise, so anything you burn beyond that takes you even lower which is not a healthy deficit. Do what you think is right for you... but, when I work out, I eat more and I still lose.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    The biggest concern wih NOT eating them back...don't go below 1200 NET a day. It defeats the purpose as then you begin to put your body into starvation mode. It is not healthy. Plus that is when you feel weak and lathargic!

Hope this helps!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I would try it. if after a few weeks you are not losing or are gaining, then stop. A long long time ago I tried eating back my exercise calories and the results were disastrous due to serious metabolic issues that I have, but everyone is different so I think you should definitely try eating them back and see what happens.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just to explain for anyone who doesnt know. Apologies to those who do.

First you have your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is the amount to calories you need to eat and breathe, even sit and watch tv. Your body burns cals just to operate. I assume MFP uses one of the calculations to calculate this for you based on your stats. If you sat still all day and done nothing, that is this number. Lets say it was 1500 cals for someone.

Now, that person wants to lose weight so do to do, one way or another they need to be in a calories deficit. So lets say they eat 1300 cals per day. Now they are -200 per day and they will slowly see that weight drop off.

But, now you go to the gym and burn a further 500 cals perhaps so you add that to your total and now you need 2000 cals to operate. Then maybe you go walking one day and so on.

If you eat 1300 cals every day then days you went to the gym you might be 700 cals under and so on.

So, should you or not?

Personal preference. If you are trying to add muscle, you need to feed that growth so you dont want to drop too many cals and you are likely drinking or eating things like BCAA.

If its purely weight loss you might not want to.

Personally I use it. When I have trained I refuel (cleanly) and that uses some of that. I know I can eat 1750 without training and around 2250 with. Typically though 2000 is enough so I likely use "some" of it.

The most important thing (in my opinion) is you find your own way of doing it that suits. You need something you can stick to. You dont want to feel over hungry every day as you are not eating enough. You danger of burning out and stopping. Equally you dont want to overeat and not see results. Find what is best for you.
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of you gave me something to think about.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You have to try a few different things to see what works.

If I eat over 1500-ish, no matter how much/little exercise I do, I maintain or gain.

Funnily enough, my measurements are smaller now eating 1200-1500 and not working out a whole lot (walk my dog and occasionally use my kettlebell when I remember/can be bothered) than when I was running 3-6 times a week and eating those calories back.

Different strokes for different folks...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 40 years old. I lost my weight eating a total of about 1700-2000+ calories... about 1350-1700 plus exercise calories. I'm currently maintaining on 2300, and which already includes my exercise so I don't add extra.

When I tried just eating low cal, weight loss was painfully slow. I felt like a failure, because by the math, I should have been losing 2 pounds a week, but in reality, I was losing a half pound every other week. What I know now is that I had too large of a calorie deficit and was making things entirely too hard. And when I stopped eating that way, the weight came right back on.

Eating exercise calories was like discovering the holy grail for me. It made weight loss effortless. I was losing at the predicted rate, which I since learned was one pound, then a half pound a week... I didn't have enough to lose to aim for 2 pounds a week. I've been at my goal for over a year and a half... maintenance is a piece of cake. And I can eat cake, too. :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you are using this site as prescribed and have properly set yourself up in MFP you should be eating exercise calories back. If you're properly set up, the deficit is built into the plan...you don't have to do exercise to lose weight in other words...the deficit is already there. Exercise will create an even bigger deficit, which might sound nice, but this can actually be very bad depending on what kind of deficit you have built in. Too big a deficit and you will be eating below your BMR; you need to always net to at least your BMR which is the bare bones calories your body needs for internal organ function...getting your *kitten* out of bed, etc.

If you are at 1,200 calories you should most definitely be eating those exercise calories back. For many, 1,200 calories is below BMR and personally I think MFP should have a warning in this RE as eating that little for an extended period of time can wreak havoc on the body.