Different scale readings?

Options
Hi All!

Just a quick one, I usually use my scales at home to weigh me, they are cheapo old ones, that get moved around, and I weigh myself in the study, which has a laminate floor (flexible?)

So, I weight myself on this and it shows me at 14st 8lb, I go to the gym, weigh myself on there floor standing scales. Quite heavy duty ones and look like they don't get moved, just to have a reference to work from on my journey, and there I am 14st bang on!!!

Thats a whole 8lb difference..... Ive tried moving my scales to the kitchen tiled floor and they still say the same.

So which do I believe? Im not too hung up on numbers (yeah right!) but I would like to accurately record myself.

Thanks

Replies

• MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing at the same time at the gym as you do at home? If you weigh first thing in the morning on bare flooring you will get the most accurate reading.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just choose one or the other to use so that you are consistent with your numbers. I say the ones at the gym are probably the correct ones if yours are moved around much.
  • DonC2013
    Options
    try to use the same gym scale as close to the same time as you can and stick to once a week-maybe once every two weeks.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    can you get a friend to try your scales? they'll shout if they weigh heavy. i chose my gym scales as they matched my wii fit scale, but not my cheap scale (which weighs a few lbs heavy). just make sure to stick to the one you pick :P
  • DesertDriver
    Options
    It's been said already, but try to use the same scales for consistency - stops all the confusion & stress :-)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Many gym scales need recalibrating a lot, people jumping on and off constantly and not treating them right.
  • grodi01
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to have the same problem until I bought this scale from Target: Eat Smart Precision Digital. I can get on it 5x in a row and have it weight the same EXACT weight over and over. It was not expensive. I know it was under $30. I had researched scales on the internet and found this one. I LOVE IT!

Good luck!
  • crlb
    crlb Posts: 4
    Options
    I bought a Weight Watchers scale. It was not expensive and I love love love it. Your weight will fluxuate during the day....water, etc. When it starts to get wacky I know it is time to change the battery.
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! ;)