Weight watchers points?

Options
I was wondering how many weight watchers points are allowed daily. I've looked around, and heard numerous people say different numbers. Also heard it goes by your weight or something. The diet I'm on now has a rule of not knowing how much I weigh, but how I feel instead. So calculating it by my weight is out of the option.

Replies

• auburnblue
    auburnblue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your weight, you cannot not know how many points you are allowed on Weightwatchers. There is a formula that they use that takes into account your gender, age, height and weight.
  • valleemic
    valleemic Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It will most likely be between 26-29 but depends on your weight, gender, etc.
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I currently just renewed with WW. I don't like dealing with calories, somehow 1200 is so damn low. I like dealing with points and WW has lots of tools to help determine the points you get for food and activity. But, as valleemic says, it's between 26-29; once you enter in all your stats, it will set you up accordingly. I also love that WW gives you an extra 49 points to use during your week...this allows me to have my favorite sweets without feeling deprived.
  • dtpurvis
    dtpurvis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As the previous posters have said it depends on your weight. I have been on weightwatchers multiple times ( through their different plans) and lost some weight except on their new plan. I am not sure what they have changed but this last time it did not work for me. After time you realize you can manipulate to points to eat "junk" and still be within your points:frown: I am not that self disciplined! I hope it works for you good luck.
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    I have just cancelled WW last night. I have downloaded the userscript to show WW points plus in MFP food diary, so cool. I was comparing the two and tracked in both for over a week. I like MFP better and in most cases I'd have more MFP calories left than I did WW Points! Interesting...

MFP also has a MUCH better food database and restaurants, so much nicer. I finally made a decision :smile: And, hopefully no more re-joining of WW!
  • Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've done WW for years and always found it successful till they introduced points plus. Not sure what happened when they changed the formula but my body no longer responded to it and I actually gained weight. For me, MFP is much user friendly and realistic. After all, calories are always calories, they never change and you don't need a formula (or new and so called improved formula) to figure it out.
  • kmburne
    kmburne Posts: 21
    Options
    I too am a WW alumni. I couldn't get the hang of the last program and actually started gaining weight. I travel with work which made it hard to stay on track when I couldn't cook or have a schedule for eating or exercise. I have to say I did well with it two programs ago, I managed to drop 40 pounds, but it was a tad difficult this last program.

I definitely like this better.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You need to know your weight to do weight watchers (hence the name) that being said most people aim between 26 and 29 points. I am 227 pounds and I am between 29 and 36 points on points plus..points plus has you losing 1 pound a week and the old system has you losing 2 pounds a week and after ready some recent articles about pointsplus..49 is the max activity points you can earn for the week not free points (this is misinterpeted by many groups) and those earned points can be eaten back. 100 calories burned equals 1 point. But in order to lose 2 pounds a week you have to minus 5 points from the POintsPlus points that they give you. In that case it puts me at 31 points which is the old system..saying that, don't eat below 22 points and above 72 points a day. Also, get a good calculator that does half points as well and fruits and veges individually are 0 points but mixed are 1 to 2 points so make sure you count those unless you are having known 0 point foods or foods with no fat but high fiber such as most veges..I got this information by researching what the over all clinical studies have been on their new system. Plus I have been doing weight watchers for 11 yrs going on 12 now.
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think WW is an awesome program. For me, I liked the idea of points vs calories - just a mental thing. I had luck with both the old and new points plus. I just don't want to pay for it any more and I like MFP better. Also, the community is so much better as well - responsive and full of good information!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think WW is an awesome program. For me, I liked the idea of points vs calories - just a mental thing. I had luck with both the old and new points plus. I just don't want to pay for it any more and I like MFP better. Also, the community is so much better as well - responsive and full of good information!
    I haven't paid for Weight watchers since I completed their first two months, waste of money, I have done it on my own for years, gained and lost over 250 pounds with 3 pregnancies and just had my baby in March and 9 pounds away from my prepragnancy weight and working on getting back down to my ultimate goal..ww is a good guide and less confussing than the amount of information and miss information about calorie counting is out there.
  • srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are several free apps out there that work just like WW - with the points. There are apps that use both the old and the "new" points system. You get to choose. But, either way, you have to use your weight, height, and how active you are in your daily life to calculate your points. As you lose weight, the number of points reduces, as well. So, you also have to continually monitor your weight and log it.

WW worked very well for me at one point. I lost 75 pounds, ate much healthier, and I maintained it for about 2 years. Unfortunately, I had some horrible things happen that helped me to return to really poor habits. It's a good program.
  • Gmansmommie
    Gmansmommie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you about points plus! My husband and I followed the old WW system and did great on it. He kept his weight off..... I gained about 10 I want off once and for all! I love MFP!
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have just cancelled WW last night. I have downloaded the userscript to show WW points plus in MFP food diary, so cool. I was comparing the two and tracked in both for over a week. I like MFP better and in most cases I'd have more MFP calories left than I did WW Points! Interesting...

MFP also has a MUCH better food database and restaurants, so much nicer. I finally made a decision :smile: And, hopefully no more re-joining of WW!

How did you add the ww points
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    Check out the Message Board called How to Track Weight Watchers Points on MFP for the userscript to install in your browser extension to show WW Points (old) or WW Points Plus.
  • sunshineflower1
    Options

How do you get it to show Points Plus?
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just joined WW online but I am not impressed with their search engine for food. MFP is much better.
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many weight watchers points are allowed daily. I've looked around, and heard numerous people say different numbers. Also heard it goes by your weight or something. The diet I'm on now has a rule of not knowing how much I weigh, but how I feel instead. So calculating it by my weight is out of the option.

You can go to the nearest WW meeting place and sigh up, it is free to sign up, only pay $13, chose pay as you go option, you will get all your material there and your daily point allowance, and you can start. With each 5 lbs lost your point allowance drops until your reach 26 points. That is the lowest and you should not go below that.
    You can go once a month for $13 just to sit there and learn more about the program.

Hope this helps.
  • allison_ortiz
    allison_ortiz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW's Online Program since 10/1/2011 :heart: . I still track in both I only started using MFP about 7 mths ago because I was curious about calories...I like both they each have their pros and cons.

I have only used the new system Points Plus...almost all your fruits and veggies are 0 pts so it encourages you to eat more fresh foods.

When I started I was weighing in at 350lbs, 25 yrs old, 5'8" BMI: 55, and I was alloted 55 pts daily, 49 pts extra per week (never used them in 15 months!) plus you get extra pts for any exercise you do.

15 months later....I am now down 168.6lbs weighing in this week at 181.4lbs., 26 yrs old, 5'8", BMI: 27.6 and I am alloted 30 pts daily; however, I eat so healthy/fresh that i never really eat that high in pts...I eat a lot of power foods and low caloric foods...very fresh, low processed foods!

my friend who is 5'0" weighs 167lbs and 34 yrs old gets 29 pts, states even when she was down to the 140lbs range she never dropped below 29 pts per day

I have also done my own research since I work in the medical field, and one of the ladies I work with is a personal trainer and she told me to look up some documentaries which are truly eye opening :noway: about the food industry and the products we use. To name a few: Food, inc., Food Matters, Forks over knives, Fat,sick,& Nearly dead, Hungry for change...These are all available on Netflix (maybe hulu too, but idk i dont use it lol) watching these and working with my healthcare provider on my diet have drastically changed my eating habits and I can honestly say I feel so much better! everyone tells me I radiate health, more than just being skinny...and I pass this info on to patients daily :)

Everyone needs to figure out what works for them, not everything I do will work for all people and vice versa, just because someone else can eat a certain way doesn't mean it would work for me...so I say find something you can stick too daily, use it, and tailor it to your life and needs, commit to a lifestyle change, and not a diet and you will see results whether its using MFP a free program or one you pay for!

15MonthComparison_zps6b1e711c.jpg
  • heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrozenCupcake
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I've decided not to with weight watchers. It sounds like a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's for me. I'm just going to watch my calories and exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!