Exercising at home! Need help please! (at my ideal weight)

Options
Hi all!

I've recently got to my ideal weight (I was UNDERWEIGHT) and was wanting to get more fitter and more defined looking (abs, etc) I heard that lifting weights helps you show the muscle but also eating right, (I am pretty cueless tbh)

I'm female 28yo, UK,, 5ft1 and 7 stone 5lbs and a very petite frame!

I've not exercised much (just at home dvds) and never lifted weights before. (only have x2 2kg dumbbells)

I just have no idea where to start as I'll be doing it from home! (no gym near and I've got a young child!)

Any advice on foods to eat, exercises to do, home equipment to buy, size of weights etc would be very much appreciated to get me started! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• drdior
    drdior Posts: 2
    Options
    I do pilates in a studio, but bought a TRX for travel. The TRX system hangs off a door, tree or overhead hook and requires you to use your body weight rather than dumbbells. It also allows you to do several pilates moves that will help you with core toning.

There area tonne of videos on youtube with people doing all sorts of exercises on the TRX to give you some idea of whether this is something that could work for you.
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm going to do it again and promote my favourite website and trainer ever, Cassey Ho at blogilates.com. She has over a hundred free pilates, HIIT and cardio videos on youtube. Most are bodyweight but some use dumbbells or even heavy textbooks. Just trying to spread the pop pilates love because it has helped me so much.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Find something you'll stick to. This program is EXACTLY what you're asking for, but may or may not be something you enjoy:

She lays out diet and acceptable food lists, and workouts for the next 3 months. Every before and after pic is amazing, and it's for a beginner's level.

Hope it helps!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

Oh missed the at home bit. You can purchase weights and an exercise ball and go through the exercises and find modifications. ALL of them have mods for dumbbells
  • missxkx
    missxkx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

Any suggestions on healthy dinners/lunches
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Get 'New Rules Of Weightlifting For Women' Excellent book, covers everything, diet plans and all
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is an idea, use a deck of cards. Each suite represents an exercise such as a push-up, lunge, burpee, squat, crunch, an wheel etc. you go through the deck of cArds. Getting a 8 of clubs means you do 8 push-up. Doing all 52 cards back to back will make you stronger and be a high intensity workout. Look up Karl Gotch or simply deck if cards routine.