How to reduce body fat/time line/tips....

Options
Good Morning,

I have been working out for about 19 months now, I have been very consistent for about the past 7 months. I am female, 48 years old, 5' 6" and weigh 140 pounds. I have not lost any weight although I have lost inches (not sure how much as my book with my before measurements was stolen at the gym). I weight train three day a week, I do cardio six days a week. When I started, my body fat was around 29%. It is now 26%. I was focused on weight but now am focusing on gaining muscle and reducing body fat. I have been working on my diet, I have cut out alcohol, sugar, gluten, and diary and go high protein and low carb but not too low so I still have the energy I need for my workouts. What else can I do to reduce body fat and what can I expect in terms of loss? My goal is around 18%.
Thanks,
M
P.S. Sorry if this is repetitive. I have been reading so much conflicting information and am just trying to sort through it all. Not looking for an easy fix, I am in this for the long term as in forever, but would like to get some insight as to what to expect and what others have experianced.

Replies

• buchbrun64
    Options
    And do I have it wrong...will building muscle allow me to also bring down my body fat at the same time? I am not talking about weight, just the body fat percentage. I was under the impression that, with more muscle, my body fat would in fact be lower. Still learning so hoping I can get the help I need here.
    Thanks!
    M
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You can still gain muscle and have high body fat. Body fat is reduced by consistent calorie deficit. Now if you're on calorie deficit, it's very unlikely you're building muscle (especially if you've been at it awhile). If you're eating too little, that can hamper with losing body fat. If you're not losing body fat, then you need to reassess your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have been working out for awhile, am near my "goal weight", but am also focusing on lowering body fat at this point, while keeping/building lean muscle. We have similar workout habits/routines as well. My scale hasn't budged in six months, but I'm losing inches and lowering my body fat percentage following the plan in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info and links to tools there that might be helpful for you. Good luck!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Interested in answers for myself ;-)
    And good luck to you!
  • ajoyfulyoga
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track if you are losing body fat and your clothes feel like they are getting looser . (a fairly reliable way to tell if your plan is working is if your clothes still fit) I follow a similar diet.
  • ajoyfulyoga
    Options
    It's tough to say though without seeing your actual food intake. If you want to add me I could have a look and tell you what I think. I have a similar diet and have dropped from 23% body fat to about 17% but I did drop a few lbs in the process.
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    You can still gain muscle and have high body fat. Body fat is reduced by consistent calorie deficit. Now if you're on calorie deficit, it's very unlikely you're building muscle (especially if you've been at it awhile). If you're eating too little, that can hamper with losing body fat. If you're not losing body fat, then you need to reassess your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you! I have just upped my calories as, reading though things, I thought that might be an issue. I am working on making it high protein and do use shakes and bars. I am the single mom of six children, four of whom are under 7, so I want to add more "real food" but do resort to bars and shakes as well when I am in a hurry. I appreciate your advice!!!! : )
    M
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    It's tough to say though without seeing your actual food intake. If you want to add me I could have a look and tell you what I think. I have a similar diet and have dropped from 23% body fat to about 17% but I did drop a few lbs in the process.

Thank you! I sent a request and made my diary public. : )
    M
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    Like you, I have been working out for awhile, am near my "goal weight", but am also focusing on lowering body fat at this point, while keeping/building lean muscle. We have similar workout habits/routines as well. My scale hasn't budged in six months, but I'm losing inches and lowering my body fat percentage following the plan in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info and links to tools there that might be helpful for you. Good luck!

Thank you! I will take a look and see what I still need to work on/tweek. This is pretty much the most I have weighed, I used to weigh around 120 BUT I am more focuse now and gaining muscle....lowering body fat....being healthy. So, I am trying not to get hung up on the scale - sometimes easier said then done! : )