Anyone Else Given Up On Weighing Themselves?

Options
Seriously I hear people at work talk about losing 1-3lbs every week without fail... Where as I could exercise for MONTHS and the scale wouldn't move at all. I know i'm losing inches cause of going down in clothes sizes, but that number on the scale has hovered around the same number for so long, i'm thinking of binning the scales! Are there any other people here with the same problem? An older lady at my gym who I got talking has been the only other person I know with similar problems lol... That conversation was magical it was as if for a moment I found my soul mate. But if I would like to hear other people's story if possible

Replies

• bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    the scale is a ***** to me i want to get rid of it but idk how im like addicted to it. I feel u though
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the back of the closet - I follow my measurements - works much better for me!
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get rid of my scale. I have seen my weight balloon because I don't get on scale for months and think I am doing fine. I admit I check my weight daily. I used to check as much as I could a day. Now I do it just once in the morning. It keeps me grounded. There are times I wish it would go down more. But I have had to accept my progress has slowed. So I dont focus on how much I am loosing per week now. I focus on the big picture of how far I have come and now the scale is just a resource as a reminder. By checking everyday it helped me managed how I ate over the holidays and I didnt gain any weight. Ive seen alot of people on here that did not check their weight over the holidays and put on alot of the weight they lost. I reccommend just using the scale as a resource and not a tool that you judge your self worth. Hope that helps
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of my weight and my measurements. After all it's the inches that matter more because that is the visible size; if that's what you are going for. It really depends on what I am doing as far as working out and strength training because it isn't ever the same. If I know I worked harder with strength training then I wouldn't expect too much of a weight loss. But I do have to admit that I weigh myself daily, and it keeps me on track. Best wishes.
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This month I set up an exercise schedule for myself and I'm not going to weigh myself until February comes along. I'm giving myself a goal that doesn't involve my weight and I'm going to concentrate on that success. Exercising is something that I have control over, whereas the number on the scale is affected by so many different factors.
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i have been weighing myself everyday and it keeps me in check although my weight can fluctuate daily. I'll have a great day and the weight will be up a lb or two. It all depends on how much water I'm retaining or if i've pooped that day. When I started MFP I only weighted myself once a week, always on the same day (thurs) and first thing in the morning. I think I'll go back to that
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of working towards one goal that doesn't involve a scale for a month, but I have an addiction I think. I have tried going without the scale before, and I went off track.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I track weight, waistline, and hip once a week. I may get on the scale more often than once a week, but I generally log it once a week.

I'm just as happy when my waist and hip measurements change as when my weight does. I figure my body is rearranging, :smile: and that is progress, too.

Also, if I'm excercising regularly, my heart is healthier and people can't see that.