CHEAT DAY!?

Options
Ok so I know there are other posts about this, but I wanted my own :)

I am debating doing a "cheat day" as a reward to sticking with my calories throughout the week. What do you all think? Would it hinder weight loss a ton in the long run? I think I would be more likely to stick to this for the long haul if I knew I had this day to look forward to.

Thoughts please!

Replies

• Theamers0528
    Options
    I'd say as long as you don't go crazy and eat 2000 calories of junk food or fast food and you maintain or don't go too far over on calories then there's no reason you can't treat yourself. Only thing that matters is calories in vs calories out. If you keep a weekly deficit you will lose weight even if all you ate was twinkies(not recommended at all lol)
  • Madalynne
    Madalynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know that if I allowed myself cheat days, that I would have a really hard time getting back on the wagon the next day.

I think that it is more beneficial to have rewards that are non-food based: a trip to the movies, mani/pedi, new clothes, etc.

This way, food stops being the controlling factor in my life.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    would love to know! i just started doing this my self! still didn't weigh in to see results tho :D
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of a 'cheat day' sets you up for a dieting mentality. It also encourages bingeing and using food as a reward. In addition, people who eat more on weekends and holidays, and scheduled 'cheat days' also tend not to keep weight off long term. That is, for most of us, the goal.

Instead of a 'cheat day', why don't you try reaching your calorie goals by the week instead of the day? Make it every day and if you have some extra at the end of the week, you can feel comfortable eating a bit more that day, knowing you've met your week's goal. That isn't a cheat. That's meeting your goals.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    Yea why not. Only thing is I wouldnt go every week. I tried that once and I went crazy eating all day long! :laugh:

Nothing really bad just alot of eating, but I think sometimes it helps to shock your system. But I could be wrong I am no expert in this. :laugh:

Although I do agree with the above post. It does give you that "diet" mentality and that not really the idea here.
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on you. When I have cheat days they turn into cheat weeks. But if you have the discipline to only do it one day a week that is great. I know people who use cheat days and they love them and feel it makes it possible to stay on track better.
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day myself! I think as long as you don't overdo it, then you should be fine. As for me, on my cheat day I still exercise and count calories, I just pick one thing to eat that I don't normally eat on other days, like either a piece of cake, a candy bar, or even just a big bowl of buttery popcorn.
    If I didn't have a cheat day, I don't think I would survive.
  • icandoanything2012
    icandoanything2012 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it might be better to plan for a cheat meal rather than a cheat day but it depends on how "bad" your're going to be. Overall it's ok to be 90% good and 10% bad. If you're going to do an entire day, maybe make it one day out of 10 so that you know you're being good 90% of the time.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    A sound nutrition plan wouldn't have a "cheat day". Include all the foods you love into your daily nutrition.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Cheat meal or 1 cheat menu item might be a better idea. I know I can do a lot of damage in one day!

Plus rewarding yourself for being good with high fat/high cal food might be upsetting to your sub conscious. Being good (eating right and exercising) is the reward in itself.

But it you want a bowl of Hagaen Daz (spelling) and you know you stop at one serving, then go for it!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Ok so I know there are other posts about this, but I wanted my own :)

I am debating doing a "cheat day" as a reward to sticking with my calories throughout the week. What do you all think? Would it hinder weight loss a ton in the long run? I think I would be more likely to stick to this for the long haul if I knew I had this day to look forward to.

Thoughts please!

Whatever helps to stick to your plan.

But if it's planned, don't call it a cheat day.

There are people here who do just that, they have a spike day and lose really well.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For me absolutely no... cheat day = crappy eating plus for me it only gives power to classifying foods as either being good or bad.

For me - I give the lead to my body to select what it wants to eat. Some days my body wants a few pieces of dove chocolate ... I eat it and log it. No worries. Some days my body wants a beer... or a glass of wine... no worries. Some days I'm not hungry. For me this is a more normal way to eat than having a cheat day.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think as long as its all logged and you dont go over for the week its acceptable....just have what you want in moderation and be active..yeah?
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Never again. At least not unhealthy cheats. I ate a heinous amount of junk food. My diary's summary, if I continued eating like that, I'd gain a lb a week. NOT interested. There are several clean eating treats that I will try in the future as opposed to indulging in chocolate and snacks.
  • toonces80
    toonces80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheat days can truly undo a whole week worth of work.

Rewarding yourself for doing "good" with food, WITH food is a bad idea, IMO.

Why not just have a day where you save your calories, exercise and eat some calories or eat lightly all day and then have a higher caloric meal?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    A sound nutrition plan wouldn't have a "cheat day". Include all the foods you love into your daily nutrition.

^This. I used to think cheat days were ok but they just don't work for me. I'd rather just fit all the foods I love into my daily goals and remain consistent.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day. I don't have a hard time startng back the next day. Over Thanksgiving and Christmas I had more cheat days than usual but I still lost weight. I eat whatever I want on my cheat day but I still don't stuff myself til I feel over full like I used to. I love food and would feel very deprived if I could never have my favorites. I would never stick with this if I couldn't have a little chocolate or coconut pie every now and then.
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    I think the idea of a 'cheat day' sets you up for a dieting mentality. It also encourages bingeing and using food as a reward. In addition, people who eat more on weekends and holidays, and scheduled 'cheat days' also tend not to keep weight off long term. That is, for most of us, the goal.

Instead of a 'cheat day', why don't you try reaching your calorie goals by the week instead of the day? Make it every day and if you have some extra at the end of the week, you can feel comfortable eating a bit more that day, knowing you've met your week's goal. That isn't a cheat. That's meeting your goals.

This is so true, fantastic idea.... I think I might just do this
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why not choose one meal one day a week and have what you have really been craving.
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    I eat a little snack for me almost every day. I just portion it so that it is in my calorie budget. Yesterday I had 2 oatmeal cookies (not the healthy applesauce ones either) The day before I had 2 glasses of wine. My husband says it doesn't even feel like we are 'dieting' but I work out and I'm losing weight. I don't feel deprived at all.