CHEAT DAY!?

Options
13»

Replies

• martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I think that it is more beneficial to have rewards that are non-food based: a trip to the movies, mani/pedi, new clothes, etc.

Isn't standing on the scale/looking in the mirror reward enough? I don't look at loosing weight/maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet as need for a treat. The treat is being healthy!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    it depends on your mentality, if it's easy for you to get back on track the next day then your fine, I've found lately that instead of one day i'm taking 2 or more so i'm not giving myself cheat days right now, if I want something i'll work for it in the gym.
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeh. I love my cheat days. It does give a break from all the lettuse leaves you've had to endure all bloodly week. I keep my diet pretty strick threw the week it dose allow me to have my treats on the weekend. But when I'm feasting on my delights I make sure I know it's calorie content and I'm swimming training on the weekends.
  • alibug2001
    alibug2001 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last night was a perfect opportunity for me to have a "cheat day". I went to a birthday party -- had no idea what they'd be serving (obviously I knew cake) and the party was at dinner time.

I did have some cake (DS2 & I split a piece that was given and then we ended up tossing half of it still).I also at dinner. Luckily they catered On The Border fajitas so tracking was easier. Now I did use ALL my available calories for the day (including my workout calories) and I probably didn't help lose ... but it sure didn't make me gain... and I didn't feel like I was left out.

I can do this! 2 weeks from yesterday is DS's birthday. I'm making mini-cupcakes so that should be easier for me too!
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes:

"you're not a dog. don't reward yourself with food"

:)
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Personally I've always lost weight taking a day off from logging, though I don't make it a reward or go crazy eating junk all day. For me it just means being able to sit down for a weekly roast dinner with my family without worrying about counting calories. It works for me, but I think it's important to keep an attitude of moderation even if it is a 'cheat day'.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ok so I know there are other posts about this, but I wanted my own :)

I am debating doing a "cheat day" as a reward to sticking with my calories throughout the week. What do you all think? Would it hinder weight loss a ton in the long run? I think I would be more likely to stick to this for the long haul if I knew I had this day to look forward to.

Thoughts please!

I switch to maintenance on the one day a week where I totally rest my limbs.
    My maintenance cals on MFP are still within my TDEE deficit of between 15-20% so gives me some wiggle room to enjoy myself on a weekend on a day when I my additional calories from FitBit will be negligable.

I don't treat it as a cheat day because on my current deficit I eat pretty well... cooked breakfast, light lunch, balanced evening meal, small dessert and maybe a cheeky glass of wine.

I also discovered that my maintenance cals for my target weight will be close to this level - so I feel confident that I will be on the right track, as I really don't need anymore and snacks I have are generally quite healthy.

Also - does your metabolism good to give it a boost from time to time, so long as it is not daily!
    But a treat is fine...
  • jsolomon207
    jsolomon207 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why not plan on adding a few extra minutes to your work out and accumulate the extra calories that you are allowed to eat to your day, but don't eat them that day. Save them for your cheat day. That's a weight watchers thing to do.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes:

"you're not a dog. don't reward yourself with food"

:)

Mine too now! Love it
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I like the comments about finding healthy foods you enjoy and therefore the word cheat is no longer a concept.
    LOL yeah it sounds all great and noble in the short term. But I like Pizza Hut, for example, and "I'm never ever eating Pizza Hut for the rest of my life," is not an acceptable lifestyle. Doing so once in a while isn't going to ruin my health. But it's definitely a matter of knowing yourself and deciding what works best for you. Some people can't handle moderation and need to go all extreme with deprivation, apparently.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My reply is: "It depends."

I have used cheat days successfully in the past, but they are generally more useful when you've been at this a long time and have your healthy habits down, when you're more content with losing slowly, or as a maintenance tool.

If you are just starting out, or you want to lose quickly and steadily, I would skip the cheat days.

Also, from my experience, cheat days are a little excessive for me. I can consume enough calories in one day to totally negate all the progress I've made in a week. I try to stick with a cheat/treat meal, plus one treat snack/dessert over the weekend.

Right now, I've eliminated my cheat/treats because I let myself eat pretty much what I wanted for the month of December, and have some specific fat loss, fitness, and health goals to meet in the next few months.
  • ByronJP
    ByronJP Posts: 67
    Options
    I agree with eating what you want when you want as long as it stays with in reason of calories, fat, carbs, etc... I will eat what i like during the day so i dont have to feel like im depriving my self of something i enjoy. The only cheat days i would consider having is for when i want to drink alcohol.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    A sound nutrition plan wouldn't have a "cheat day". Include all the foods you love into your daily nutrition.
    This
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal.. not a cheat day..This helps me keep it under control!
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am not doing cheat days but cheat meals. It is on either Friday, Sat or Sun. I eat healthy all up until my cheat meal.