Does anyone do High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)?

Options
hello all MFP'ers! :)

I currently run about 3 or 4 times a week. I run at a good speed for 30 to 45 minutes. I've read lots about HIIT for burning off the fat (I want to keep my muscle in tact!).

Does anyone do HIIT? How long have you been doing it? How often do you do it per week? What are your thoughts on HIIT?

Replies

• Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I fairly new to MFP and I keep seeing "bump". What does that mean?
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bring up my post
  • samlankford
    Options
    There are two HIIT dvd's in with my Les Mills Combat system... A LOT of fun and they really do make you sweat like a pig!! I would give HIIT workouts a try....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I do hiit on the treadmill when I remember to. My trainer keeps telling me how important it is, and in my small group training we do it. They use words like anaerobic exercise and active recovery, I don't know what it means, I just do what they tell me to do. I think I'm burning fat and preserving muscle, based on how I look and feel and also the body fat scale. I strength train 5 days a week to keep my muscle.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

The poster just wants to bookmark the thread so it appears in "My Topics" but has nothing useful to contribute. I don't know why they can't just bookmark it as you would any other web page. Perhaps they're all browsing using Lynx... but even Lynx has a bookmark function.

And what "bump" does is actually "bump" the thread to the top of the Recent Posts/My Topics list. Since that's not the real reason they do it, they might as well type "Moo".
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options

You type in the word “bump” so the post will apear under My Topics. You have saved it to read or use later.
    It’s great when you see something but don’t have the time at that moment to read the post, etc.:smile:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I only do HIIT whether it's on a bicycle or with weights or a kettlebell.
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thanks for the bump replies
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the treadmill and have for the last 3 or 4 months. I use a program called Visual Impact Cardio, it's set up so you adjust it according to your own physical fitness levels. I like it and it keeps my treadmill workouts interesting and challenging.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually Zumba and Belly Dance, but I found a couple of Tabata style workouts on Pinterest that I tried and found more on Youtube that are also labeled HIIT. I still do all my dancing, but my husband and I started doing the HIIT stuff for 10-20 minutes 3 times a week for the past couple of weeks. This morning I put on workout pants that I haven't worn in a while and my husband and I both noticed a definite difference in the tone of my booty! It has noticibly helped my husband start to regain some of the muscle he lost from running. Needless to say I am hooked!
  • skjerve12
    skjerve12 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is part of the Les Mills Combat workout. I do HIIT twice a week, and it is incredible.
  • ventrol
    Options
    I started doing HIIT about four weeks ago with the elliptical machine. The routine I use is 2 minutes at a slow walk with a lower crossramp/resistance setting followed by a minute of an all out burst with a high crossramp/resistance setting. I do this for an hour three days a week. Since I've started, I've seen huge gains in my endurance on steady-state cardio days as well as seeing a large difference in muscle tone throughout my legs. It's an awesome workout, and never becomes easy.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I just recently started doing some HIIT & Tabata style workout videos. they are kickin' my butt!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity which is a HIIT program. If you eat enough you will lose more body fat vs. lean muscle mass. For example in the first month of Insanity I lost 6% body fat and no lbs per the scale.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I find after doing HIIT I can't stand to be on a treadmill without it. Regular running is so boring without it. I love it. I go by my heart rate- get up to target with regular running, then start intervals, going to the top of my range, then slow to get back down- as soon as I'm at the lower end, I kick it back up and hit the high range again and so on.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I do a tabata form of HIIT, and I do it 2-4 times a week for about 10 minutes at a time. That's it. I combine it with some strength training done is HIIT form for a total workout of about 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes I burn right around 200 calories (some days a little more).

I love me some HIIT.

I also do running, walking, and like to hit the 30 minute circuit at the gym.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Did the TurboFire programme which introduced me to HIIT and am now doing Insanity which is max-interval training and have really enjoyed both!! My body shape has changed loads (actually have two photos up - one from before TF and one from after completion) and my bf% has dropped loads (although I was high bf% to start with). Not so great on the Ibs lost but definitely worth it if you want to be dropping fat :bigsmile:
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump !!!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I do it 3 times per week - LOVE IT!
    It's my training off tennis season.