Frustrated - Need ideas for late night hunger

Options
So I just started MFP yesterday and I was over my calories by 111 on the first day. I'm frustrated already. Does anyone have any suggestions for late night snacks that don't pack on a ton of calories? I know most people say don't even eat after 8:00 p.m. but that's just not realistic for me. Can't believe I'm asking for help on day 2 but I guess I never realized how quickly the calories add up when you actually write them down.

Replies

• bbeland01
    Options
    Fruit always helps. I usually cut up some bananas and put them in the freezer for about an hour, or watermelon, since it has natural sugars and not a lot of calories it fills you up.
    If you stay away from carbs then you will be fine.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Break up your meals so you're eating (3) 300-calorie meals and (2-3) 100-200 calorie snacks. If you budget it out you should be able to fit it all in. It doesn't matter when you eat, or what you eat, it all comes down to calories in, calories out. You want to eat something with protein in it though, because it will help keep you fuller and your body will expend more energy breaking it down. Plus protein helps keep your muscles from breaking down at night. A great nightime snack - cottage cheese.
  • paulo79
    paulo79 Posts: 25
    Options
    Sex lol that will take your mind off the hunger
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Break up your meals so you're eating (3) 300-calorie meals and (2-3) 100-200 calorie snacks. If you budget it out you should be able to fit it all in. It doesn't matter when you eat, or what you eat, it all comes down to calories in, calories out. You want to eat something with protein in it though, because it will help keep you fuller and your body will expend more energy breaking it down. Plus protein helps keep your muscles from breaking down at night. A great nightime snack - cottage cheese.

Ditto! I was going to say everything kdiamond said.
    3 small meals and 2-3 snacks is the key!
    Cottage Cheese is a staple in my house!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sex lol that will take your mind off the hunger

HA HA My husband says the same thing! My mind is back on food afterward! So, it doesn't work for long term!
  • samhibdon
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this also but I can not sleep if I am hungry. I try to save enough caleries for a snack of 1 slice of toast with 1 tbs of peanut butter on it. Eat it very slowly and enjoy the crunch of the toast. Then drink a glass of water. I am then full enough to go to sleep. After awhile you will get use to not eating as much and won't need the snack.

Good luck!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get some 100 cal bags of popcorn. Perfect portion and popcorn fills you up for a bit. :)
  • wencor1
    wencor1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Also remember add some good quality fats and proteins to your last meal which may help sustain you longer through the night. Good fat satiates your body. It's not always about the calories, but about the type of food that makes up your calories. If you feed your body nutrient dense food, it will not be hungry. If a salad sends your body into a tailspin craving for food an hour after you are done, you may need to feed it differently. Since this is your first day, your body most definitely will be sending you signals because it is used to eating late at night. Don't beat yourself up. Prepare for the next day and see if you get a different reaction. Tracking what you eat with MFP is a eye opener itself as it makes us accountable for what we put in our mouths. Most do not pay attention. Good luck!!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    A cup of honey nut cheerios is only about 145 cal. and fat free milk 1/2 cup 45 cals........hope it helps.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    Get some 100 cal bags of popcorn. Perfect portion and popcorn fills you up for a bit. :)

That's exactly what I was going to say! There is a TON of popcorn in a 100 calorie pack... My fiance and I usually split one and both eat our fill. I try not to snack after dinner, but when I absolutely have to, that's what I do.
  • michellenadasi
    Options
    Depends if youre in the mood for a salty or a sweet snack. I usually have the Edy's all fruit bars with no sugar. They are about 25 calories. If you're in the mood for something salty, the popcorn idea is good. Hope this helps..
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lately I've gone for string cheese and banana for my nite time snack
    good luck!!!
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    First DON'T beat yourself up over 100 calories. If you're on the 2 lbs. a week plan that 2 pounds means you are cutting 7000 calories from what your body uses in a day. 100 calories is not something to stress over.

Water and tea help, and believe it or not, sometimes you can get through by remembering how proud you'll be in the morning. Smile at the hunger and consciously choose to take another path.

Kevin
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    when i'm starving and i want something savoury I had a piece of nimble wholemeal bread toasted (48 calories) with half a light laughing cow cheese triangle (about 10 cals) and a piece of wafer thin, honey roast ham (9 cals) (this makes 67 cals, < 1 gram of fat). Also, i find that hot drinks fill me up like a low calorie hot chocolate (options?). it's so hard at first though, I think if you are hungry, just eat because otherwise you might lose your will-power completely and give up- it doesn't matter if you go over your calorie count- even by doing this, you are probably still under the amount of calories you ate pre-diet. If you find you're more in the mood for something sweet, have a piece of fruit or some dates (just a few- high sugar but loads of fibre). Alternatively, you could just do what I do- try and fight the hunger for as long as possible (watch a dvd or something) and then if you still feel hungry, just go to bed earlier that day :-D xxx
  • aedfit
    aedfit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First DON'T beat yourself up over 100 calories. If you're on the 2 lbs. a week plan that 2 pounds means you are cutting 7000 calories from what your body uses in a day. 100 calories is not something to stress over.

Water and tea help, and believe it or not, sometimes you can get through by remembering how proud you'll be in the morning. Smile at the hunger and consciously choose to take another path.

Kevin

Thanks all for the good ideas. I hadn't even thought about cottage cheese, which I actually like but always considered it to be a lunchtime food. I like the popcorn idea too with the portion controlled bags.

Kevin, love the idea of smiling at the hunger and choosing another path. I'm always up for a challenge so I guess it's a lot of mind over matter. Although easier said than done, right?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry or do you have the evening munchies. I find that bewteen 8 and 9 PM I want something to eat. If I have a cup of herbal tea...that feeling goes away