Kids cereal suggestions?

Options
I am trying to find a healthy cold cereal for my kids that they would approve of. It HAS TO BE NUT FREE since my youngest is deathly allergic to nuts in any form, including legumes like peanuts.

They will not do plain cheerios :/ At one point they would tolerate Kashi's Heart to Heart (which I LOVE!!), but now they don't like it.

Thanks for the input :) Just need something quick and easy for mornings I don't have time to cook oatmeal or eggs!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just look for 100% whole grains and less than 8g of sugar per serving. That is the South Beach guideline for cereals.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My son loves chocolate frosted flakes - most cereals are ok if eaten at the recommended serving size. Not sure about nut content...
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I am just getting tired of buying something and it going stale up in the cabinet because they don't like it :/ Didn't know what other kids were enjoying!! Honestly, right now, I do have some not so good stuff up there just because it is easy. But I want it to be healthier!! Trix and Cocoa Puffs are from tha' devil!! (Ironically, that is what we have up there ;))
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about fixing ahead but I make these for my family and they love them. Easy to bake and store/freeze

http://greenlitebites.com/2009/03/07/banana-oatmeal-cups-with-chocolate-chips/
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My kids like weetabix and shreddies. I give them weetabix with warm milk, no sugar.

You can microwave porridge you know. In England you can buy sachets of it and just add milk and chuck it in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Here's some my little sister likes,, sugar is probably just a tad high, but nothing TOO outrageous!

Frosted mini wheets (or un-frosted, but the frosted is more kid friendly)
    Kashi go lean crunch! berry crumble (I LOVE this as well!)
    Natures path mesa sunrise flakes
    Post honey bunches of oats with peaches, raspberries, or bananas

I am pretty sure none of these have nuts in them, sorry if they do, no one in my family has a problem with nuts, so I don't usually check! good luck!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Rice Krispies is a great one. My kids love the sound it makes when you pour milk over it, and they enjoy eating it, too! Kix and Life cereals are great, too.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    do baked oatmeal and skip the cereal completely. super easy, refrigerate, heat up in the morning. You can 'flavor' with fruits of your choice, chocolate chips, whatever really.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I can't do plain Cheerios either so I dress it up with Splenda. It gives me the sweetness I'm craving and is still healthy overall.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My favorites were Froot Loops, Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch, Pops, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and oddly enough, Raisin Bran.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try porridge oats with a bit of cocoa/chocolate whey protein or sliced bananas or berries. Absolute heaven.
  • brittDbritt
    Options
    I buy chex it is nut free and comes in all different flavors and has whole grains
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Will they do the multigrain cheerios? They are a little bit sweet and my kids really like those even though they don't do the plain cheerios. They also like Life cereal a lot.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    My Mom used to mix regular cheerios and honey nut cheerios half and half. We never knew the difference. I also grew up eating corn flakes, we were allowed some sugar for those, and Kix. Frosted mini wheats are a good choice too, pretty good nutritional content but kiddos (and myself) never know it because its frosted! I also adore Life cereal.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with fruit. In the warmer months you can make it into popsicles. What little kid woldn't love a popsicle for breakfast? Oatmeal (if you have a crockpot you can put the oatmeal in before you got to bed and it will be ready in the morning). You can certainly do eggs, just make up a veggie frittata the night before and warm up the slices in the morning. Last night's leftovers. Think outside the box, you don't have to have cereal.

:smile:
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My kids like rice crispies with just little sugar sprinkled in. I like it too with a banana instead of the sugar. My kids call it the talking cereal. lol
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I"m partial to Lucky Charms, or Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My kids used to eat junky cereals (as did I) until I simply stopped buying them! Don't give them too many options and they'll learn to love new things. Mine eat cheerios, muesli (raw, not toasted), rice krispies (plain, no added sugar), cornflakes, weetbix, weetbix minis, Plus, special K, sultana bran, quick oats and regular porridge etc. Now and then I'll treat them with crunchy nut cornflakes etc or they can have wholemeal toast and light spread. I can't comment on which of these are nut free as I've never checked. One tip - my kids like to mix it up, they hardly ever have a bowl of just the one type of cereal. Maybe that will help yours?
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Mine eat Envirokids "Koala Crunch" which is pretty much organic chocolate rice krispies. Not the best thing, but there are very very few gluten and corn free cereals in existance. Its those or GF rice krispies. I tried chex, but they don't like them.

Before they were gluten free they would eat apple cinnamon cheerios, plain cheerios, reg. rice crispies and mini wheats.
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    My kids really like Kix! And they love honey bunches of oats too... they may have an allergy warning because since they have other types which have almonds.... you know the "may contain traces of....."

On another note, idk if your kids dig boiled eggs.... mine love boiled egg whites and butter or cheese grits! You can boil eggs ahead of time. You can keep them refrigerated in the shell for up to 1 week. The grits have tons of iron, which little kids are sometimes deficient on.

Also, the Rachel Ray oatmeal is pretty good, the little one enjoys that!