Advice on a good shoe brand needed

Options
2»

Replies

• wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks running shoes and I'm guessing they make specific for a walker too.

You should go to a running or athletic store and ask for a shoe fitting - they will record you walking and suggest the perfect shoe for your gait and desired activity.

Seconded.

What works for me as an overpronator may not be appropriate for you if you have a neutral foot, so you should really get fitted. If you don't want or can't get to a running store, check out the short videos here, which will explain some methods (like the wet-foot test) to determine your pronation needs at home.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/footwear.html

I also love brooks.

Thirded on the Brooks, and another add for getting a proper fitting for your specific gait and needs.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As has been stated this is a VERY individual thing. I went to a running store and was fitting and they ended up being some of the worst shoes I've ever owned...FOR ME! I researched my "issues".....overpronation, overweight, walking, etc. I kept coming up with Brooks Ariel. They were pretty pricey so I was hesitant. I looked at New Balance and liked them, almost bought them. Gave in and tried the Brooks Ariel and OMG! If it's possible for a shoe to change your life...it did! I no longer have ANY pain when walking, I can walk much longer, my feet feel AWESOME, the rest of my body aligns better so no more pain in my hips and no more plantar fasciitis pain. All I did was google "walking shoes for overweight, overpronation". Read a billion user reviews and tried them on. While pricey, after having them I honestly would pay TWICE the price...they're that worth it to me! Good luck and I hope you have as much luck with your decision as I had!
  • Eliza956
    Options
    I agree with those who say to go get fitted at a running store. Do some research online to find stores in your area who are well known. The place I go to gives me a few styles to try on and they let me run a bit in them to see how each of them feel. I am not set on a brand personally and often switch depending on what feels best as styles do often change.

Good luck!
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This was really helpful as I have wide, flat feet and needed some ideas on comfortable shoes. I"m gonna check out the Asics. I've had Sauconys and currently have some New Balances that i'm wearing that are not too bad. Thanks everyone!:smile:
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I run in Nike lunarglide 4 and Saucony Triumph 9. They are "super cushy" and are great for walking around also - like wearing slippers. Not cheap but really deliver for me.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I adored my Propet shoes... can't find them locally anymore, though.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike. all day today, yesterday,tomorrow and everyday.
  • SaintBock
    Options
    Love my Merrell shoes. Bought them specifically because I used to do walks of about an hour or two each day, and wanted something comfortable for that.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd say either go to a running store to be fitted by a professional, or go to a sporting goods store with many different kinds of sneakers and tuck in to try on a ton of different pairs until you find one that you like.

Personally, I like either Brooks or Saucony. Every pair of Asics that I've owned has fallen apart after a month or so of wearing them. I have wide toes but narrow heels and a pretty high arch, plus awful knees. But everyone's foot/body/taste is different.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    kelly rippa shoes!! yes she makes shoes and they are light as a feather like wearing pillows. so great.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks also!
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    love my sauconys
  • mkatetay
    Options
    Its not about what "brand" of shoe.. Its about what tip of feet you have.. Do you have a high arch or no arch... If you have a high arch you need cushioned shoes if you have no arch you should buy none cushioned shoes... Don't worry about brand..
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Rykä are the only shoes I buy any more because I have a very narrow heel and they're the only shoes that don't give me blisters. But like everyone else said, go to an athletic shoe store and get fitted.