having trouble losing lbs. on vegetarian diet

Options
2»

Replies

• kathymurphy
    Options
    i also have people look at you like you are crazy, think of the people getting cancer from eating all the treated animals out there. haven't seen the movie about food but plan on seeing it on netflix soon.
    most people now know I don't eat meat ( or very little) and i just have more vegetables. we will be healthier in the long run. there are also many websites on being a vegetarian. good luck on your new journey.
    :flowerforyou:
    kathymurphy
  • Angelface28
    Angelface28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!! lol I swear some people act like it's all a bunch of lies when numerous scientific studies show that vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer. All those hormones and antibiotics they inject into those poor animals are not good for you, bottom line.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are vegetarian/vegan - what is your favorite recipe?
    I'm relatively new to eating (mostly) vegan/vegetarian and I'm currently starting to get bored with beans, beans and more beans.
    I've worked a bit with tofu and despise the texture (which is why there is a block in my freezer - trying to toughen it up a bit for my stir fry tonight). I occasionally will eat the Chick'n nuggets - but they are expensive and really high in sodium.

I should also add that I'm avoiding HFCS, sugar, agave nectar and honey. Makes things get really complicated when grocery shopping.

And with regards to this topic/question, so that I don't utterly hijack this message - when I switched to this more animal-friendly lifestyle (which is not perfect still and probably never will) - I had about 2 weeks of no really significant weight change but have since started losing steadily.
  • Angelface28
    Angelface28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook overall is the "Skinny Witch (it wont let me post the b word) in the Kitch" cookbook. Not only is it low calorie, and vegan (sometimes I cheat and use real cheese ect.) but every recipe in this book is delicious! Seriously to die for. I know some of the recipes call for agave nectar but I've often left it out with no big change.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have read the Skinny *itch book and honestly, I don't know how anyone can eat meat after that...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to eating (mostly) vegan/vegetarian and I'm currently starting to get bored with beans, beans and more beans.
    I've worked a bit with tofu and despise the texture (which is why there is a block in my freezer - trying to toughen it up a bit for my stir fry tonight). I occasionally will eat the Chick'n nuggets - but they are expensive and really high in sodium.

I should also add that I'm avoiding HFCS, sugar, agave nectar and honey. Makes things get really complicated when grocery shopping.

And with regards to this topic/question, so that I don't utterly hijack this message - when I switched to this more animal-friendly lifestyle (which is not perfect still and probably never will) - I had about 2 weeks of no really significant weight change but have since started losing steadily.

If you don't mind my asking...why are you avoiding the agave? I understand the white sugar and HFCS and the honey (if you're vegan)...but agave should be okay. Have you tried sucanat? It's a great alternative but you have to like a strong molasses taste.

*edit: should note... try vegweb.com for some great recipes both vegetarian and vegan (it's one of my fave sites).
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options

If you don't mind my asking...why are you avoiding the agave? I understand the white sugar and HFCS and the honey (if you're vegan)...but agave should be okay. Have you tried sucanat? It's a great alternative but you have to like a strong molasses taste.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024892_fructose_food_health.html
    That link to the article is why I'm avoiding agave nectar. I'll avoid too much complaining (and believe me there was complaining in my house since I'd just bought a brand new bottle of agave nectar) and simply recommend that you read it, since the article is far more articulate than I am. What is sucanat?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

http://www.naturalnews.com/024892_fructose_food_health.html
    That link to the article is why I'm avoiding agave nectar. I'll avoid too much complaining (and believe me there was complaining in my house since I'd just bought a brand new bottle of agave nectar) and simply recommend that you read it, since the article is far more articulate than I am. What is sucanat?

I'll take a look at the artical in a bit. Here's a link about the brand of sucanat I use (there are a few out there-some are not real sucanat but more like the turbanido sugar-which is sugar with coloring and some of the molasses added back).
    http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/Wholesome_Sweeteners/Fair_Trade_Certified_Organic_Sucanat.html
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    I've been vegan for 7 years now and when I first started I was away at school so I had little other options then veggies so I lost a good deal of weight now that I'm on my own and can afford to buy food I found myself gaining weight I gained about 50lbs in a year and have stayed there for about 3 years now. I would def say carbs are my down fall and I'm just learning to watch what I eat now. My average day consists of:

Breakfast
    Quaker high fiber oat meal
    or
    A protein shake

Lunch
    steamed veggies usually brocolli, caulliflower, &/or spinach

Dinner
    Varies usually veggies and some form of protein (gardein.com, vegieworld.com, tofu, tempeh, etc)

Dessert/snack
    fruit smoothie

Then I normally spend an hour or so at the gym
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    Also make sure you are eating enough protein! I've found that on the days I don't eat enough protein I am very sluggish in the evening when I go to the gym...
  • charjeanne
    charjeanne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 2 years now and wasn't very smart when I started and ate way too much bread, cheese and pasta. When I started searching for the right way to eat vegetarian I found different body types lose weight differently. Do a search on the web for "body type apple pear" Because according to what type you are will determine what type of diet you should do and how you lose weight. I am apple shaped and have lost 22 lbs on a low carb diet and I love it. I couldn't lose weight on a low fat diet.

Apple-Shaped women gain weight around their middle. They should eat Fiber-Filled Foods. They slow digestion of sugars, lower insulin and cholesterol levels and lower risk of heart disease and diabetes.

Pear-Women gain around their hips, butt and thighs -Eat low-fat foods. Pear-zone fat cells are FAT magnets and will continue to store fat the more you consume, making your problem areas even worse.