To perm or not to perm HELP!!!!

Options
suenewberry81
suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
Hi need help, I've wanted to perm my hair fr so long, I've been growing it to perm it, it's now at my shoulders and at an ok length to perm, should I do it or not????? Please help

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    No.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I wouldn't. Completely unnecessary damage to your hair. I'd try rollers if I were you
  • kstorch5
    kstorch5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I permed mine recently... Kills your hair, it was expensive and it looked terrible. I've had difficult hair my whole life though, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Don't! Right now it seems tempting but it really ****s up your hair and roots. I permed it long time ago and my curls haven't been the same ever since and not to mention it's just damaged overall. I grew it out so it's not that bad but I had to cut it off.
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First have your stylist curl your hair as if you had a perm to see if you like it. Or go to the wig shop and try on different looks. One con of perming is that you'd have to flat iron whenever you want to do a straight do. That's extra damage to the hair you've grown out.

And make sure you have a good stylist. Some perms should go back to the year they've come from.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hi need help, I've wanted to perm my hair fr so long, I've been growing it to perm it, it's now at my shoulders and at an ok length to perm, should I do it or not????? Please help

Absolutely NOT.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    nope....don't do it.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The one thing. Hate when I have long hair is I just tie it back I then look like I did when. Was at school 16 yrs ago :-( so I thought if I perm it it will look different, after reading your comments I'm not ally thinking about not going through with it :-(
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Nope, damages your hair, and when it starts growing out you have flat top, unless you go get another...and another...and another...which of course continue the damage.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Honestly, I have heard (and seen!) too many horror stories with that. I don't think many people perm anymore...but you know, I would invest in some good quality wigs. I know that sounds super silly, but I bought a wig on Amazon (I have very short hair!) to change up my look and enjoy longer hair again. It's been pretty fun! I would try it before doing something permanent. Take care !
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It looks great, but it WILL damage your hair, there isn't really any way around it. It also really limits your colour changes for a long time.

If it were me, I would get a bodywave/root lift, which is like a softer version of a perm. If my hair was long enough and strong enough I would get one.

You could always just get sleep in rollers for a few weeks and see how you like curly hair.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Do something like this (rag curls) when you want to go curly. Easy and lasts really well!
    http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/diy-curls-how-to-rag-roll-your-hair-.html
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nononoooo! People still get perms? The last perm I had was in 1987...I know so many people who would love to straighten their hair that I didn't realize anyone was till getting a perm. :tongue:
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You're chemically restructuring your hair into something it wasn't mean to to look like. Most perms end up needing tons of product to look ok, and the result is overly crunchy curls that look messy, not pretty. If you like curly hair, I would suggest going to Youtube to look at hair styling tutorials for loose pretty curls. Or get a nice cut for your grown out hair, so that it can look styled with minimum effort. Good Luck!
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    NO! Perms are horrible! very 80s and very damaging to your hair!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a picture on my computer of me when I had a perm. It would convince you that perms are never the answer.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    velcro rollers work pretty good, even in my hair which is very think and corse. Hot rollers work even better :)
  • sweetie_pi88
    sweetie_pi88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I say if you want to do it, do it. I recently permed my hair so I could continue to grow it out but cut down on the time spent fixing it in the morning. My hair is so much more manageable now and I'm not spending 20+ minutes per day damaging it with a straightening iron. I say if it's something you want to do, go for it.
  • pinky_pie
    pinky_pie Posts: 127
    Options
    My natural curls fell out due to hormones, and I had contemplated getting a spiral perm but decided against it. My hair is damaged enough, and I can invest the money in a nice, long, curly wig if I want :) In the meantime, I rag my hair for curls and I can sleep with my hair like that without it being uncomfortable with rollers.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    please don't! get a curl set or some curly extensions. Something temporary and not as damaging. :)