MAC uses female bodybuilder in commercial makeup ad

Options
13»

Replies

• lisforlaurenn
    lisforlaurenn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    She is gorgeous! I love that MAC pushes the boundaries of what is typically considered beautiful. They are an innovative and amazing company.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've loved MAC every since they had Ru Paul as a spokesperson. Great makeup. The drama in their ads is accentuate the amount of pigmentation of their colors. Lots of people like me like a heavy pigmented color. Because you dont have to use as much to show color.

She looks beautiful BTW. I would love to have those arms.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like her off season pic.. she isnt too vascular or striated. she has beautiful skin tone..she on the flip side she doesnt look skinny fat or deflated.... nice hour glass shape. and look..she doesnt have a six pack and yet she has a flat stomach and curves :)

the pic in the Ad is nice...creative.. and well done... thanks for sharing it :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they corseted her midsection to bring more attention to her upper body too.

This is what makes me not like this as much as I want to. I think emphasizing her arm muscles is super interesting, but the exaggerated waist and dropped waistline/big volume at the bottom of the dress makes her proportions so weird to me. It's almost distracting, like she almost looks as unreal and unattainable as the other end of the spectrum of models. That's just purely from the ad design/styling point of view. I think it's an amazing thing to embrace all kinds of beauty.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they corseted her midsection to bring more attention to her upper body too.

This is what makes me not like this as much as I want to. I think emphasizing her arm muscles is super interesting, but the exaggerated waist and dropped waistline/big volume at the bottom of the dress makes her proportions so weird to me. It's almost distracting, like she almost looks as unreal and unattainable as the other end of the spectrum of models. That's just purely from the ad design/styling point of view. I think it's an amazing thing to embrace all kinds of beauty.

I think the corseting or photoshopping on her waist was done as artistic move. The whole photograph overemphasizes her musculature. I can definitely see your point though about it being too much and unnatural looking as well. Good point you've made here.
  • TheRealAutumnShiranui
    Options
    Me and my little sister were JUST talking about that!!!! I said she looked Gorgeous, and my little sister said "Really? I think she is kind of scary looking"
    Needless to say we had a long talk about body acceptance lol
    I dunno about that dress though, on ANYONE. I wouldn't wear it for sure :P But if she likes it then more power to her!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

I think the corseting or photoshopping on her waist was done as artistic move. The whole photograph overemphasizes her musculature. I can definitely see your point though about it being too much and unnatural looking as well. Good point you've made here.

It's obvious to me, too, that it was an artistic license sort of choice. But also like you said I think it's too much. It draws my eye to how tiny her waist is in comparison, which isn't the real intent. Not everyone will see that as a distraction, though, so overall it's still a kick *kitten* idea.
  • TyL17
    TyL17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    She does not look like a man..

Who doesn't accept strong fit women?

It's actually relative, the more muscle mass you have the less others appear to have. When I started off at 138 lbs I thought dudes around 200 were massive. Now that I'm around 170 (lean) a 200lb person doesn't appear as overly muscular as they did before.. I don't feel like i'm much larger but someone 138 now to me would appear very skinny.. even though thats where I was 2 years ago.

If you want to see strong. fit. women, watch the crossfit games.. those women are amazing!
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    AWESOME
  • MidnightRadio
    MidnightRadio Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like that MAC showcases different type of beauty, but I will never buy another of their products until they stop testing on animals. I only recently learned that MAC changed their animal testing policy and am shopping around for new makeup brands. It think MAC should be ashamed of itself since they used to market themselves as a cruelty-free company.