The Scales Are Not My Friend

Options
So. I put in my weight according to what I thought I remembered the scales reading. I then tried them again this evening, and am seriously considering building a bonfire just for the scales..... Now I have to correct it, and I'm further back from my goals than I thought. Sad. Face.

Replies

• kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself in the morning, get up, start your routine and then jump on the scale. Also, for me, I would stay away from the scale for a while because it wouldn't change, but I could tell my clothes were starting to fit differently.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    The only time you should weigh yourself is in the morning...

...after you pee :)
  • tycoluk
    Options
    Yeah, you're probably right about staying away from them - until they produce a nice surprise!
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself anytime you want, just be consistent and do it the same every day. Comparing your morning weight to the evening weight - you'll only get depressed.

And I consider the scale my best friend, the only one who is brutally honest with me.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    if you've been working out a lot and can gain muscle well (like I personally gain muscle really easily without like taking protein and stuff) and so your weight number might go up but you could have lost fat, or not gained any. So if your clothes fit different and/or you feel better then i wouldn't worry too much about the scale, especially if you're not too far off from a healthy weight
  • tycoluk
    Options
    Thanks guys - much appreciated advice! I may even not burn the scales. Particularly good, seeing as they aren't actually mine!
  • CoachDuhamNC
    Options
    If you don't know what the scale is going to say before you get on it, you should not step on it until you do.This tells me that you're not sure of your plan for success. Also follow the advice about only weighing in the morning, you can fluctuate 3 to 5 pounds a day. This will help you from being frustrated.

CoachDuhamNC
  • tycoluk
    Options
    Thanks. :smile: Think once I get a real habit of going to the gym and eating right, it'll fall into place, as long as I don't get frustrated, so from the comments so far, it sounds like I'd definitely benefit from a) not weighing myself right now, and b) weighing myself only in the mornings when I do start doing it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,115 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what the scale is going to say before you get on it, you should not step on it until you do.This tells me that you're not sure of your plan for success. Also follow the advice about only weighing in the morning, you can fluctuate 3 to 5 pounds a day. This will help you from being frustrated.

CoachDuhamNC

OMG I would love to be able to tell the future!!

How do you do that?

(sorry, OP, I want to know!!)
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I avoid weighing myself. Maybe I'll do it once every week or two. Ask yourself--does weighing yourself HELP you at all? If not, then avoid it, and just keep eating healthy and exercising.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The scales are not your friend, they are also not your enemy. They are a simple measuring device, incapable of kindness or malice.

It doesn't matter what time of day you weigh yourself, as long as you try to be consistent, or are just aware of the fluctuation caused by daily life. Obviously, a night shift worker may actually weigh their highest in the mornings.

Ideally, weigh once a fortnight.

On a personal note, I'm moving mine to Sunday morning in the hope it will help me behave on the weekends, when I'm most tempted to have days off.