Carb Cravings after indulging for the Holidays...

Options
so, there were some other issues aside from the holidays, that led to my eating more - well crappy food choices. Now, I know that it's not carbs as such that impact your weight loss (i.e., I don't need to low-carb to lose)..

that being said, I, personally, do far better when I focus on eating more fruits, veggies, and lean meats. What seems to be hard now, is that since i started eating a lot more of those refined carb foods, i find myself craving them more now that I am trying to eat better.

I seem to remember, that just cutting down on the carbs for like 3 days, made a huge difference in reversing the cravings - i.e., to do the low carb thing for a few days to just get my body use to not having all that refined sugar again, then bringing back in fruit and complex carbs, etc.

Is 3 days about right? I can't recall. I'm ready to totally do it for about 3 days maybe 5 if needed, to just get past that 'hump' if you will.

I did great for 2 days, then today just caved and had too much refined stuff - i.e., overdid my calories on these items.

Again, I already know that it's about total calories and weight loss - it's just I want to get control of the cravings, and I seem to remember this can help bring those under control again.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Leesespieces412
    Leesespieces412 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i am going through the same exact thing right now. for the entire week between christmas and new year's day, i ate junk! i was lucky if one veggie made it into my week.

so i started "detox mode" this week. i think i started wednesday. i went right back to my veggies and healthy foods. i had complex carbs like wheat bread and pasta but i didn't have any sugar. the first two days were SO HARD. i really just had to keep myself busy and away from the kitchen and mentally tell myself that i was craving because of last week!! yesterday, the third day, was easier. i did a lot of cardio, i don't know if that makes a difference but i think it helped with my mood lol. today i feel much better. i feel like it's much easier to say no today. so yes, i would say the first three days will be the toughest. just keep at it!!!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! :)

I think, what I may do for the next 3 days, is to stay away from the sugars but not track. i.e., if I am craving, have an extra piece of cheese or lean meat or veggie. Once i get over the hump, I can get back to my normal eating plan. I forgot about the whole detox thing - or whatever you call it :) when you eat a lot of refined sugars, your body starts to crave them, and I KNOW this, but well, forgot.

I may even avoid bananas just because they are higher in sugar - we'll see about the apples - I may have those. once I get my body back on the complex carb wagon, I can have the other stuff in moderation and it won't be an issue ( it wasn't for MONTHS before the holidays - so I know I can do it again.)

Thanks so much! sounds like we are in the same boat - but you're already ahead!

Thanks!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have that and just have to work through it. Thinks like cashews and other nuts help me because they have lots of protein and fat and kill my cravings for refined sugar and carbs and junk food.

I also will have like a tablespoon or two of ice cream to stave off cravings. It seems to make them go away without starting new ones.

I'm going to guess it's the fat/protein combo of both. In any case, it works for me. Especially with lots of tea (tangerine zinger is my favorite).

Good luck!