Protein powders vs Naturally occurring Proteins.

Options
Ok, so yesterday I caved to all of the talk of protein powders and bought some. Today I ate some for one of my meals and to be honest....it brought back all of the memories of why I didn't like it when I've used it before. It almost made me feel...depressed or something. It was weird. Mostly I just felt unfulfilled by the consumption of the calories. I like to cook and consider myself a good and creative cook.

My question is this - if I stick with lean proteins like chicken, fish, and egg whites....are they as good as these sophisticated powders for building muscle? FYI, I'm trying to consume about 250 gms of protein a day for the next few weeks.

Why do people use them?

Sorry if these seems dumb or uninformed, but I would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from people who are lean and muscular.

Replies

• 2013james
    Options
    I feel the same way.

But I use PLAIN whey protein (just whey protein concentrate, not brand named crap) to get enough calories without feeling too full and also when I'm in a big hurry and don't have time to make anything other than a smoothie, or not feeling well and can't be bothered eating.

I'm gradually using less and less of it.

EDIT: just noticed you wanted feedback from people who are lean, so maybe ignore me!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you're able to meet your protein intake needs through whole food sources, you don't need whey protein.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.

But I use PLAIN whey protein (just whey protein concentrate, not brand named crap) to get enough calories without feeling too full and also when I'm in a big hurry and don't have time to make anything other than a smoothie, or not feeling well and can't be bothered eating.

I'm gradually using less and less of it.

EDIT: just noticed you wanted feedback from people who are lean, so maybe ignore me!

No no, all good man! I really appreciate your thoughts on this topic.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As long as you're able to meet your protein intake needs through whole food sources, you don't need whey protein.

Thank you, I really admire the work you've done on your physique. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    definitely stick to clean eating if you can! Whole foods are always better than processed. I just like protein powder for the convenience. Some mornings I'm hungry, but just not ready to look at food and I need to get out the door for the day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My question is this - if I stick with lean proteins like chicken, fish, and egg whites....are they as good as these sophisticated powders for building muscle?
    Yes - keeping in mind that building any significant amount of muscle mass (beyond noob gains) requires a caloric surplus. If you're taking in adequate protein but still in a caloric deficit, adding any meaningful amount of muscle is basically not possible.
    Why do people use them?
    Mainly to supplement protein intake when they're not getting enough from whole foods. In other words, when you still need 50g of protein for the day, but just can't look another chicken breast, egg white or tilapia fillet in the eye. As Sidesteel said, if you're meeting your protein intake needs through whole food sources, protein supplementation is completely unnecessary.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    lol @ "naturally occurring proteins"

i know a guy...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday I caved to all of the talk of protein powders and bought some. Today I ate some for one of my meals and to be honest....it brought back all of the memories of why I didn't like it when I've used it before. It almost made me feel...depressed or something. It was weird. Mostly I just felt unfulfilled by the consumption of the calories. I like to cook and consider myself a good and creative cook.

My question is this - if I stick with lean proteins like chicken, fish, and egg whites....are they as good as these sophisticated powders for building muscle? FYI, I'm trying to consume about 250 gms of protein a day for the next few weeks.

Why do people use them?

Sorry if these seems dumb or uninformed, but I would appreciate knowledgeable feedback from people who are lean and muscular.

They're not sophisticated, they're convenient. I use them because I'm a poor student. Sometimes I'm stuck at university and don't have time to go home and cook before an assignment is due and can't afford buying something expensive on campus. It's really easy to keep a little container of powder on me, and it doesn't go bad like a chicken breast would. Not to mention I'm always looking for ways to sneak more protein into my diet, because my nails have been significantly longer since I've increased my intake. It's also important to increase calcium in your diet the more protein you eat, so whey also seemed like a great idea there.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is the way to go... Way better source for everything..

You can use protein powder in a pinch, but it's not as good for you.
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I you enjoy cooking then you won't like them. They aren't creative... However, they are convenient for post workouts. I love adding berries, oats or flax, even olive oil with milk. Great for getting on with the day quickly.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Really not supposed to be a meal replacement. You only need them to supplement your protein needs if you have a hard time getting them from your regular food.

There is not really anything special about protein powder. The supplement companies add a bunch of crap to them and try to make you think the are magical.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    When I use protein powder it's because I'm not meeting the requirements I think I should be and I love blending frozen blueberries with it. It's not necessary even for weight lifters, not if you love to cook and you are meeting your goals.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Whenever I think of protein powders it reminds me of Cartman and Weight Gain 4000. BEEFCAKE ><!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Whenever I think of protein powders it reminds me of Cartman and Weight Gain 4000. BEEFCAKE ><!

Beef cake, BEEF CAKE!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I use the powder to get protein more as a convenience mainly and as a lower calorie option to increase total protein without other macros getting into the mix
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    They aren't to replace the protein from your food. They are to supplement your diet when you are struggling to get enough protein beyond your regular food consumption.
  • Mellisa9882
    Options
    I only use them because I don't get enough protein. Recently started insanity and I need it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is the way to go... Way better source for everything..

You can use protein powder in a pinch, but it's not as good for you.

I dont know....maybe....probably

but I will go with the powder rather than going without the extra grams of protein when I need it
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I use powder solely to up my protein and/or calories when I need it. Otherwise, I'd much rather get my protein from fish, meat or dairy.
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Be Like Popeye! Spinach All The way!!!! Lol JK! I also wondered this too!