Scared to death...

Options
13»

Replies

• jallen47
    Options
    first step is putting it out there, that is what I did by joining here and putting it on my facebook page. First on my list is no more Cherry Dr Peppers from Sonic, when I always would have at least 2 large per day. Such empty calories. Water is going to become my best friend and I have to figure out how to put my picture on here. I had my dad take my picture today, the first day of the rest of my life. :happy:

Oh Cherry Dr. Peppers from Sonic were my favorite too. And I'd always get the Route 44 size when it was Happy Hour. I don't miss those at all :/ Wow, never thought those words would ever come out of my mouth...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To send a friend request- click on a person's name or picture and that will take you to their profile. Click on 'add as friend'. Include a short note telling them where you saw them, then send.

At the top of your page beside your user name, there is a little picture of an envelope (inbox for messages) and a little person pic. That is where you will find your friend requests. If there is a number beside the picture, you have a friend request. Click the number and you can see them, and either accept or dismiss.

Welcome newcomers!
  • iam_soHARLEM
    iam_soHARLEM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    no need to be scared.. just start slow.. start going to the gym and walking 10 min a day and each week add 5 minutes..and when u reach a point where u think u can increase your speed do so.. at every gym they have a team that can help you learn how to use the equipment ... also go to your doctor and talk to him about getting you on a weight loss plan they can tailor it to your needs.. !! good luck
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I started by just logging calories to begin with. It's an eye opener to see how much you're consuming.

Then I started walking. And when I was stronger, I built up to more.

these 2 tips, plus 1 more will get you started.

- log everything honestly and accurately
    - start walking, the longer the walk the better. walk as often as you can.
    - stop drinking your calories. wean yourself off of everything else and try to get back to just drinking water.

work on these things for a week or two until they start to become easier to do and then you can take the next steps.

you want these changes to become habits. they will. i've been there and they did for me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are a loner can help - losing weight and getting fit is an individual endeavor. Yes, you can come in here for support and encouragement but you go to the gym or hit the pavement alone. And yes, you can get a workout partner, but you aren't going to quit when they quit are you?

If you're ready, then there are plenty of us here willing to link up. YOU just have to make sure to keep at it.
  • ileen327
    Options
    :happy: We can do it together!!! I know I am a bit of a loner and not a joiner either!!! This is a great site! I feel so much more positive in just 2 days tracking my food on here! so easy! hey, I am 60 years old and over 260pds and I am excited to think I can be 5 or 6 pds lighter in a month! Now worries! I am here to and scared. Make me a friend, please, we need to help each other.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Take it easy with mini goals. Go day to day...even meal to meal! Small changes add up, just stick with it!!!!
  • valderca
    valderca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a "loner" but this is so awesome to participate in, you just keep track of what you eat and it subtracts from the calories you are allotted and when you are at zero you stop eating or excercise to earn more calories; if you go over and cant exercise then you just start over the next day,,, no judgement,, the only thing I would encourage is to be honest with yourself when tracking,,good luck and you can add me as a friend !!! lets be loners together
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I clicked the link to MFP that a friend sent me, I wasn't in the right mindset to start losing weight at all. Sure, I wánted to start and I wánted to lose weight, but just couldn't get started. Just out of curiosity I made an account here and thought 'oh well, let's see what I ate today' and started logging the food I ate that day, thinking I didn't eat thát much.
    Turned out more than I thought... So next day I logged my food again, to see if a 'regular day' would look better... But it didn't.
    So the third day, I made a few better choises and look... I ended up below my calory-goal... Eating 'normal', not dieting, but just a few better alternatives for foods I was eating. Plain yoghurt in stead of the fruity ones for instance...
    And just like that I was doing the right things, just because I wanted to have good looking diaries. Logging also helped not to give in to cravings, just because I didn't want people to see I was weak (I have my diary-settings to 'viewable for friends').
    Now, about 8 weeks later I've already reached my first 'mini-goal' of losing my first 10 kg and I'm still doing well and losing weight, All because I just started logging my food... nothing else. I don't work out extra (I do own dogs and a horse that make me move my butt) or go to the gym.

My point... Just start... don't think about 'dieting' but just start logging what you normally eat, be honest to yourself about it.and you'll see that you will start making better choises once you see where your calorie-intake comes from. If I can do this, anyone can.
    You took the first step and that was the hardest one, you can do this!
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step. The fact that you even made a post here is a huge milestone. Please feel free to add me.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't gotten it yet, to switch to metric...

Go to settings at the VERY top right hand side, click it
    Then click on Update diet/fitness profile
    Right next to where you enter your current weight it should say "switch to metric".
    Click that.

Sending you a friend request!

:)
  • haley98110
    haley98110 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to tell myself this on the regular

"It will hurt, it will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower.
    You will need to make healthy decisions. It will require sacrifice.
    You will need to push your body to the max. There will be temptation.
    But I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's worth it!!"

Trust me I've given up more times than I care to admit, I've wanted to be healthy just as much
    as I've wanted to eat fast food and drink soda. I've cried, I've felt sorry for myself, I've blamed family and friends
    for my weight or lack of weight loss. I've cheated myself...
    but the only thing that matters is that you get up and try again.

And here you are, trying. It may be your first time, it may be your 100th, but you are here reaching out.
    I promise you will find so many people here willing to help and be supportive.
  • mommymovingmountains
    Options
    You did it! You posted and I know that you will find lots of support here.
  • caffy10
    Options
    Just joined! I'm scared and excited! I'm ready for tomorrow but with going back to work after 2 weeks off scares me. I'm a stress eater.
    Does this site have a F/Q pages for hints?
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I just scared myself with a couple of fitness commitments I'm making to improve my health.

I've decided I want to start training with weights and use the New Rules of Lifting for Women program... AND use a Couch-to-5K running training program so that I can work my way up to comfortably being able to run a mile if I should ever have to.

I can walk til the cows come home but have crap endurance for running.

I just got done reading the New Rules book, and am definitely going to need someone to show me how to do this so I don't hurt myself!

Also, its scary to start on a new venture... because what if I fail? What if I don't make it?

All those voices in your head that say you can't or that you shouldn't even try... well, they're just misinformed about how AWESOME you are.
  • jallen47
    Options
    Also, its scary to start on a new venture... because what if I fail? What if I don't make it?

All those voices in your head that say you can't or that you shouldn't even try... well, they're just misinformed about how AWESOME you are.

So VERY true. You got this ladies!!! Your body is capable of amazing things :) If you need a bit of motivation at times, which we ALL do, feel free to message me at anytime!