1200 calorie a day whoas...

Options
Hello Everyone!! I love this website!! I just got started this week but I am already finding it difficult to stay right at my 1200 calories! I am sure eventually my stomach will shrink due to eating less, but does anyone have any suggestions on getting the most out of my meals? Thank you!

Replies

• bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Foods with lots of fiber!
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 cals for a long time now (over 3 months now) and it has got progressively easy....the trick is to feel really full is to eat lots of veg as it is low in cals....I obviously have days when i have some pizza or something but as a result it means I tend to be hungrier on those days....also, remember that if you are really hungry do some exercise because then you can eat more and perhaps curb your appetite.

x
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    lots of veggies!
  • CaseyLynn216
    CaseyLynn216 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started too, but I have found that drinking water and eating fruit makes me less hungry and excercising balances everything out :)
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key!!!! It is said that we are supposed to have 30-60 min per day of physical exercise - doesn't always have to be weight training - so it is important to add walking into your day (when you wouldn't normally do it). I must get into that "fill up on veggies" thing...as some days when I haven't earned many extra calories I am hungry. I also see I don't eat my carbs or protein either....so I must find lower cal options for these categories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Substitution is the key!!! Like sandwiches? Use double fiber wheat bread for 50 calories and stuff it with low calorie turkey and veggies...you can make a delicious sandwich for 250 calories. Veggies are super low in calories...a lot of fruits are too. Drink cream in your coffee? Switch to fat free half and half. Things that you normally eat can be subsituted to be healthier and thus, less calories consumed.
  • tmmj831
    tmmj831 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've found that running 8-10 miles a day adds 1500-2000 extra calories I can eat. However, I don't always get the time to do that. So, I would agree with everyone else and recommend eating lots of veggies. My favorites are cauliflower and broccoli sautéed in extra virgin olive oil, slightly browned (to bring out the natural sugars), and dusted with seasoned salt. Yum! Yum! :smile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Protein! It will help preserve lean muscle mass and it really "holds" you better than carbs do.
  • nich211
    nich211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips! I will definitely incorporate your ideas to help keep me fuller longer! :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not as low on the calorie scale as you, but I definitely have had to get used to eating less. What's helped me is eating little things more frequently. I'll toss some fresh berries (low cal, high fiber, and yummy!) or a pear in between breakfast and lunch to help me out or some carrots in the afternoon while sitting in traffic. This way I also keep my blood sugar more level (fiber, less refined sugars, more protein, etc), which can help prevent the false hungers from blood sugar drops that occur between meals.

Of course there is always the water trick, too. But I've found that eventually my tummy realizes the game I'm playing and demands solid food, not water.

Good luck!
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with the working out, I have never worked out so much in my life and while being in better shape is nice, part of the motivation is because I am still hungry after my allotted calories and I eat tons of veggies! I don't know what I would do without my exercise calories...