Logging Cooked Bacon?

Options
I am adding bacon to my frittata recipe tomorrow but I am not sure how to accurately calculate it. My Maple Leaf Bacon says 220 calories for 2 slices but that is the raw count with all the fat included. I cook mine until brown and crispy so the majority of the fat is drained off. I read somewhere a cooked piece of bacon is 42 calories. Does this seem about right? That is a huge decrease from 110 per slice. I plan on making half a pound since it is a family size dish so I don't want to be off by too much when I calculate the recipe.

Ahhhh bacon :love:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Does the bacon say 220 kcals for 2 slices RAW? Nobody labels bacon that way, that I know of - it's not meant to be eaten raw. Use the count on the package.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Doesnt the package give you calorie for fully cooked?

Oscar Mayer bacon is 70 calories per 2 slices fully cooked.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ....and some of the thin bacon is 40 calories a slice...and it says so on the package.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Looking at it again, it doesn't say raw or cooked actually but I assumed that is the raw count since they are supposed to measure the grease and all when they analyze calories, or so I thought. I am in Canada if that makes a difference. This is just basic thin cut bacon and I can't see it being 110 cals cooked crisp with hardly any fat left. Now I am confused LOL. I won't eat it if it is that bad! I usually buy turkey bacon that is 25cals a slice.

Oh wait, it does say "uncooked" 62g. Thats what I get for posting so late LOL.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Look on their website, maybe it will have more explanation.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Looking at it again, it doesn't say raw or cooked actually but I assumed that is the raw count since they are supposed to measure the grease and all when they analyze calories, or so I thought. I am in Canada if that makes a difference. This is just basic thin cut bacon and I can't see it being 110 cals cooked crisp with hardly any fat left. Now I am confused LOL. I won't eat it if it is that bad! I usually buy turkey bacon that is 25cals a slice.
    Yes, the calories are for raw. It will depend on how well the bacon is cook to determine how much of the fat is left behind. Personally I wouldn't be leaving much if any of that bacon fat behind, it would all be going in that frittata. :happy: Just caution on the high side.
  • KimBeron
    KimBeron Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bacon? Just Say No, I can't put that fat in me, I'm trying to get rid of it.
  • sweetnlow30
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone :wink: I will go with 100cals cooked for two slices just in case but it is probably a bit less since I fry the heck out of it haha.

Good night all
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    In the UK the calories are raw sometimes they give cooked as well: there are both together here 110 cals for two slices cooked it doesn't lose as much fat as you think. Grilled means the same as broiled BTW so should lose more fat than frying. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268287042
  • sweetnlow30
    Options

I haven't eaten pork bacon in almost a year so I think once would be just fine. All things in moderation :smile:
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    this thread is going to break my diet....bacon sounds so good
  • sweetnlow30
    Options
    In the UK the calories are raw sometimes they give cooked as well: there are both together here 110 cals for two slices cooked it doesn't lose as much fat as you think. Grilled means the same as broiled BTW so should lose more fat than frying. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268287042

Ok thanks! I think Canada does a lot of their nutrition labeling similar to the UK.
  • KimBeron
    KimBeron Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If the food doesn't say raw, then it is cooked. It is best to be a little over than to underestimate and then wonder why you are not losing weight. Good luck!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Eating fat does not make you fat.