Good for you and yummy!

Options
I don't know if any of you know the magic of sweet potatoes but they are amazing. I am in love with these right now. I bake them up and get the flesh out. I mash them up with tons of cinnamon and eat them like that. No butter or sugar, just cinnamon.
Now some of you are probably thinking "Ewww, I have to have butter and sugar to eat that." Well, let me tell you, don't knock it until you've tried it. The cinnamon brings out the natural sweet flavor of the potato. I always feel like I've had a huge batch of sweet potato casserole when I eat it and feel bad until I realize I just ate a sweet potato. It tricks me almost every time!
I have a huge sweet tooth so this is a God send for me. These are a healthy CLEAN starch you can enjoy at any time. Also, cinnamon is a wonderful ingredient with so many healthy consequences.
If you haven't tried it, go get a sweet potato and eat it with dinner. Soooooo good!

Replies

• mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm with you, I ADORE sweet potatoes! I have never thought to have butter or sugar on them though! But nor have I tried them with cinnamon. I usually have them with cottage cheese or something similar, maybe some low cal mayo. I'll try the cinnamon.
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You'll be so glad you did! It's like a dessert......
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree. I used to think I could only eat them with butter and brown sugar, but now I can eat them just plain after baking. Delicious!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! I just made them a couple of nights ago. I cut 3 of them into wedges, add 2 Tbsp of canola oil, about 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper, and about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayanne pepper, mix well to coat. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Soooo good!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Meh. I was excited about sweet potatoes until the other day when I tried to make my own fries. I baked them for 40 minutes and they never hardened. They were mushy and I could barely choke them down - and only because I knew it was good for me. Any ideas as to how long I should be baking them or should I use less olive oil? I baked at 350.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Try it with nutmeg too. Tastes so good combined with both spices! Ooh and throw a bit or Redi Whip lite on it for a extra treat. :)
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I don't know if any of you know the magic of sweet potatoes but they are amazing. I am in love with these right now. I bake them up and get the flesh out. I mash them up with tons of cinnamon and eat them like that. No butter or sugar, just cinnamon.
    Now some of you are probably thinking "Ewww, I have to have butter and sugar to eat that." Well, let me tell you, don't knock it until you've tried it. The cinnamon brings out the natural sweet flavor of the potato. I always feel like I've had a huge batch of sweet potato casserole when I eat it and feel bad until I realize I just ate a sweet potato. It tricks me almost every time!
    I have a huge sweet tooth so this is a God send for me. These are a healthy CLEAN starch you can enjoy at any time. Also, cinnamon is a wonderful ingredient with so many healthy consequences.
    If you haven't tried it, go get a sweet potato and eat it with dinner. Soooooo good!

Nice to find another sweet potato lover out there!

I eat them straight out of the oven, skin and all, or I boil them and eat them plain. Personally, I think they are great without anything on them!!! I eat so many of these that my girlfriend sometimes calls me "camotito" which comes from the peruvian word for sweet potato - comote. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    Meh. I was excited about sweet potatoes until the other day when I tried to make my own fries. I baked them for 40 minutes and they never hardened. They were mushy and I could barely choke them down - and only because I knew it was good for me. Any ideas as to how long I should be baking them or should I use less olive oil? I baked at 350.

I would like to know this as well!!! every time I try they are not to good.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options

I would like to know this as well!!! every time I try they are not to good.

Try baking at 400 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    If you want good sweet potatoe fries you should use a higher heat for about 30 minutes. I've cut them up into chip form and placed them with Olive oil, cinnamon and a little salt on aluminum foil on the grill...works great!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes they are a lifesaver sometimes when you want something sweet!!!

In the past, especially if I'm pms-ing, I put a marshmallow on top to really taste like a treat (only adds 25 calories). :))
  • Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And Stang49 makes some great sweet potato fries!!! :-) The hubby and I made them last week and they are on the menu for this week too!
  • loze85
    loze85 Posts: 6
    Options
    I've even seen some vegan cake recipes that use them! I love them to keep things different from your standard baked spud :)