Quick question about no longer getting sore...

Options
Ok I was just reading some other post on here about low weights/high reps and someone had commented that Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred uses low weights but they still get sore after the work out (or something to that effect). It got me thinking, though... I just started 30DS and I'm day 5, the first couple of days I was definitely sore, but the last couple of days, the soreness has subsided to nearly nothing, and I'm just wondering, if I'm not getting sore, am I still getting a proper work out? Sorry for my "newbness" on the subject but this is my first time strictly following an actual workout regimen. Each level of 30DS is supposed to be 10 days each so I just wanna make sure that my endurance and strength is increasing and not that my body is starting to be like "Ok, I'm not getting anything out of this anymore." Thanks in advanced! ^__^

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Ok I was just reading some other post on here about low weights/high reps and someone had commented that Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred uses low weights but they still get sore after the work out (or something to that effect). It got me thinking, though... I just started 30DS and I'm day 5, the first couple of days I was definitely sore, but the last couple of days, the soreness has subsided to nearly nothing, and I'm just wondering, if I'm not getting sore, am I still getting a proper work out? Sorry for my "newbness" on the subject but this is my first time strictly following an actual workout regimen. Each level of 30DS is supposed to be 10 days each so I just wanna make sure that my endurance and strength is increasing and not that my body is starting to be like "Ok, I'm not getting anything out of this anymore." Thanks in advanced! ^__^
    Soreness (DOMS) is usually a sign that muscle has suffered microtears from exercise that it's not accustomed to. When soreness disappears, that's an indication that the body is getting adapted to the work. Now that's not to say that the workout is totally ineffective, it just means that the muscle is conditioned to take on that particular workout.
    But occasionally you do want to get sore because that will let you know that you're doing something to progress to a higher level. Normally that will happen by: increasing resistance, increasing reps, or increasing intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks Niner!
  • kemdawson
    Options
    I used to get sore more noticeably, but now that I've been drinking a protein shake after my workouts, and I'm working out harder, it's not near as much. Just wondering if others have noticed that too??
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Protein has been shown to be used by the body to get rid of lactic acid buildup that happens during anaerobic exercise. This acid is generally contributed to causing soreness, although there are some studies that debate this. Regardless, it is widely known that lactic acid, if it contributes, is only to the soreness immediately following heavy exercise and not to the delayed soreness that occurs hours or days after exercise.

Once your body is used to a particular exercise, increasing the intensity by less than 10% will all but eliminate the soreness. In this way you can still progress in your difficulty without paying a heavy price :)

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/what-causes-muscle-soreness-after-exercising-note-its-not-lactic-acid/