Sugar is the culprit?

Options
2»

Replies

• charovnitza
    Options
    If you've only lost 6 pounds in all that time, may I suggest that you try another way of eating? If you are truly following your diet, and and recording what you eat, then something is wrong. Look for another diet! I (like many others here) have tried a myriad of diets, and finally found one that works for me. Don't dispair, just look for something else that will work for YOU. You can do it!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I avoid Wheat Thins solely for mental reasons, as an example.

:laugh: mmmm Wheat Thins!! I can seriously devour a whole box in like 2 days.:blushing:

Wheat thins and brie... lordy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you've only lost 6 pounds in all that time, may I suggest that you try another way of eating? If you are truly following your diet, and and recording what you eat, then something is wrong. Look for another diet! I (like many others here) have tried a myriad of diets, and finally found one that works for me. Don't dispair, just look for something else that will work for YOU. You can do it!
    no diet is going to work if the poster is eating above their daily caloric goal. If they aren't measuring their foods accurately, recording and logging, and making sure that they're under their goals.. it won't matter what specific diet they follow.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    no diet is going to work if the poster is eating above their daily caloric goal. If they aren't measuring their foods accurately, recording and logging, and making sure that they're under their goals.. it won't matter what specific diet they follow.
    I was eating and logging correctly for those six months (like I said, fell off the wagon for about 3-4 weeks college is nuts, but even then I didn't really see an increase in weight).
    I am trying to up my strength training in the gym and boost my metabolism, so we shall see. I am going to wait another month then if nothing is working go back for another thyroid test.
    All the women in my family have hypothyrodism, and my thyroid showed it was running a bit slow, but not enough to be treated.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would ask for a blood sugar test. I am not diabetic or even pre diabetic, but i have slightly low blood sugar. Yes the type of sugar maes a huge difference. I wish people would not say that it doesnt. Whole grain carbs, brown rice, potatos, procees more slowly then white sugar, and even more slowly when eaten with protein. Have your levels.checked.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fructose can lead to weight gain. Glucose is "just another carb." A popular study on Fructose gave high fructose corn syrup a bad rap, when it's about 50% fructose/ 50% glucose, similar to table sugar. Things like Agave nectar though are over 90% fructose and terrible for weight loss. Despite it having a low - gi profile, but there is evidence gi rating doesn't even matter.

This article here talks about it and cites a Yale study that proved all sugars are NOT equal. Came out 5 days ago..

http://www.blisstree.com/2013/01/01/food/fructose/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a huge culprit. You should try to eat clean. This means the more whole the food the better, watch out for hidden sugars in processed food. Fruit for my body type is almost a no no. Low sugar fruits are dark berries and grapefruit. Thats it. Only have half an apple if you're going to have one, and have protein with it to slow the sugar down.

I found all this out about me by reading Michael Thurmonds 6 week weigh loss book. Once you figure out YOUR body type, you can figure out what foods are keeping you from losing.
    You do realize that eating carbs means you're eating sugar? That's what all carbs break down to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbs are carbs. If your total carbs are in check, then sugar won't make a difference. Calorie deficit leads to weight loss. The only exception is a serious medical illness, like diabetes. In a healthy person, it won't make a difference.
    Ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. CALORIE DEFICIT. That's how you lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Fructose can lead to weight gain. Glucose is "just another carb." A popular study on Fructose gave high fructose corn syrup a bad rap, when it's about 50% fructose/ 50% glucose, similar to table sugar. Things like Agave nectar though are over 90% fructose and terrible for weight loss. Despite it having a low - gi profile, but there is evidence gi rating doesn't even matter.

This article here talks about it and cites a Yale study that proved all sugars are NOT equal. Came out 5 days ago..

http://www.blisstree.com/2013/01/01/food/fructose/

Table sugar is sucrose: granted there is a molecule of glucose bonded to a molecule of fructose but that is not exactly the same thing as separate because the glucose is not 'free'. GI rating does not matter to whom? Dieters or the diabetics it was 'invented' for? It is a tool for understanding how carbs behave in the body and how we can manipulate the way meals are processed, not the one true solution as some commercial diet books would have you believe. Like many pieces of nutrition/ dietetics research it has been bastardised.
  • epoyntz
    epoyntz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the other problem with sugar is even if you cut out the obvious sources like chocolate - there is ALOT of processed food that has it in it - especially foods that are claiming to be "Fat Free" generally have loads of sugar in them to make them taste ok.

keep your vegetable intake higher than fruit - like no more than 2 fruit a day - and avoid processed foods as they nearly all have sugar added - and start checking labels as well - most food labels will say "Carbohydrates x.x - of which x.x is Sugar" - its pretty shocking sometimes when you see how many grams of sugar are in things.

1 teaspoon of sugar can be around 4 grams - so use that to put in perspective if you would like the idea of putting several teaspoons of sugar in your mouth one after the other.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Sugar is a huge culprit. You should try to eat clean. This means the more whole the food the better, watch out for hidden sugars in processed food. Fruit for my body type is almost a no no. Low sugar fruits are dark berries and grapefruit. Thats it. Only have half an apple if you're going to have one, and have protein with it to slow the sugar down.

I found all this out about me by reading Michael Thurmonds 6 week weigh loss book. Once you figure out YOUR body type, you can figure out what foods are keeping you from losing.
    You do realize that eating carbs means you're eating sugar? That's what all carbs break down to.

IDEA Fitness member

No. REALLY?!?!? Geez. I was talking about the rate at which certain carbs/sugars are processed by the body. Simple or refined sugars process fast, in the mouth on the hips. Eating complex carbs with protein slows the processing, giving you a chance to work it off. With all your education and training you should know that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

No. REALLY?!?!? Geez. I was talking about the rate at which certain carbs/sugars are processed by the body. Simple or refined sugars process fast, in the mouth on the hips. Eating complex carbs with protein slows the processing, giving you a chance to work it off. With all your education and training you should know that.
    You ALMOST have it correct. Whether it's simple or complex carbs, it's CALORIE SURPLUS that causes weight gain on the hips. If your intake exceeds your daily allowance with complex carbs, you gain weight. If your intake is below your daily allowance with simple carbs you lose weight. Your body burns carbs regardless if they are simple or complex. Eating protein really doesn't help with processing carbs, it affects the rate of digestion. Yes, I do know my ****.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • successgal1
    Options
    Nope I don't think you do.