Drinking Water

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    liquid is liquid. If your pee is light yellow, you are doing just fine hydrating yourself.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    We all know drinking enough water is a big part of successful weight loss

Myth, unless you are filling yourself up with water to stave off hunger. Water doesn't "flush" out fat or any of the other wonderful things people attribute to it. Your body needs fluid to stay hydrated but drinking 100 ounces of water a day is excessive, puts a strain on your kidneys and can flush essential minerals out of your body.

How much water you need really depends on how much you weigh, your activity level, and your environment.
    I'm sure during summer band I consume quite over 100 ounces of water and I figure at 270+ pounds, and 100+ degrees it was quite needed.
  • Andreinne
    Options
    Yeah....not sure how helpful this is gonna be...but....I have as much trouble as the next person even remembering to drink water, you know? So what I do, since the recommended is 8 glasses a day of 8 ounces, and I just happen to have 8 ounce glasses at home, I just go into the kitchen and force myself to drink water.
    In the morning, as soon as I get up, I go into the kitchen and chug down 2 glasses of water, then before lunchtime, I force myself to drink two more glasses, then in the afternoon the same thing, and at night, before dinner time, i do the same thing, another two.
    I find that if I put it "on schedule" so to speak, it's easier. (I know...it's ridiculous, it's water, for cheesus sake, hahaha)

I've actually find that it's been getting easier to drink water lately, like I'm thirstier or something.... or maybe I'm just recognizing that I'm thirsty, now that I've been forcing myself to drink water "on schedule".

I've been peeing like crazy, though, so make sure to have a bathroom nearby if you're gonna chug down water on schedule, like I've been doing.
  • Gmansmommie
    Gmansmommie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Once you begin drinking water, you begin to have a thirst for water. I am just a bit leary about the added flavorings (that's just me personally) because of the added chemicals, dyes and so forth. I saw an article to add a cinnamon stick and sliced apple. Natural way to flavor your water and it is supposed to boast your metabolism.
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use the machine that carbonates tap water. It tastes better and is more refreshing. I always have it in my frig. Love it.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Once you begin drinking water, you begin to have a thirst for water. I am just a bit leary about the added flavorings (that's just me personally) because of the added chemicals, dyes and so forth. I saw an article to add a cinnamon stick and sliced apple. Natural way to flavor your water and it is supposed to boast your metabolism.
    I am willing to try that one. Sounds delicious! Thanks.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Quit being a baby, man up, and drink your water. I can't stand grown adults who complain that they hate water. PFTTTTTT
    Get over yourself.

I for one have NEVER liked the taste of water. So glad you do. I am assuming you NEVER miss your water allotment each day. I mean, you must LOVE the taste of water to be so dismissive of the MANY people who do not.

Whatever.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Best Incentive ever - My Urologist told me that if you drink plenty of water, your chance of Kidney stones decreases.

Don't drink enough, you become dehydrated and stones form.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have a machine called "Soda Stream" and it makes my tap water sparkly. I don't add anything except the bubbles and can drink it non stop. It's great and zero cals.
  • LK0321
    LK0321 Posts: 25
    Options
    Drinking water is the hardest thing for me. I don't get thirsty easy and I prefer to drink anything else 1st. I don't drink a lot of soda, but I will drink milk, silk or juice first. I can not drink tap water either, just can't do it. I bought one of the big brita filters that has the spigot on it for the fridge. I have a little white board I keep on the fridge and mark off every 8 oz. I don't shoot for a specific number, just try to get it in. I keep a small 4oz glass next to fridge and try to drink one every time I go in the kitchen. I will drink a lot when I workout. I found some recipes that are for fruit infused water http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water.

Here is an interesting article on the water debate http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    people are just being lazy. just drink the water.

You say lazy, I say informed. From Mayo Clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

It is not completely clear where the 8 glasses a day came from, but there is no evidence to support the requirement.

Heinz Valtin did an extensive review of this recommendation, which was published in the American Journal of Physiology (http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.long). He concluded that there is lack of any evidence supporting the eight glasses a day. “I have found no scientific proof that we must “drink at least eight glasses of water a day,” nor proof, it must be admitted, that drinking less does absolutely no harm. However, the published data available to date strongly suggest that, with the exception of some diseases and special circumstances, such as strenuous physical activity, long airplane flights, and climate, we probably are currently drinking enough and possibly even more than enough.”

In fact, in extreme circumstance, drinking excessive amounts of water can actually be dangerous, resulting in hyponatraemia (water intoxication).

So how much water, or other fluids, should you drink a day? That depends on your personal circumstances including how active you are, climate, how much fluid you get from your diet and your general health. The following is a quote from the Mayo Clinic: “Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.”
  • rycey
    rycey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/news/20100822/secret-weapon-in-weight-loss-water

This is what i do, I drink 1 pint of water (which is equivalent to 9 cups standard water that you get in an office establishement) before main meals - it has made a big difference to my diet.

The way I see it is this: try it for 2 weeks, if it has no effect you don't have to do it again.

But by having a pint of water before meals keeps you hydrated, reduces kidney stones, and good for the bladder. I have found it an essential weight loss tool and I urge others to try it.

I hope this helps!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of getting yourself into the habit. I've always drunk a lot of water at work so just do it automatically. I still got fat through over eating though so I don't think it's a magic cure to weight gain. I find that drinking herbal tea (particularly lemon and ginger) can help to curb cravings.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If your pee is light yellow, you are doing just fine hydrating yourself.

^ This.

Also: if you find yourself forcing yourself to drink then your body probably doesn't need it.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Like I said, you need fluids, not necessarily water. Lots of people never touch a glass of straight water and they are not dead. Water only aids weight loss because you can sometimes fool yourself out of being hungry by guzzling water.

It has been proven that a lot of people don't know the difference between the body's signals for being thirsty and being hungry. Hence, some people shovel food into their mouths when all they really need is a drink.

The best way of telling whether you are hungry or thirsty is to drink a decent sized glass of water (750ml etc.) If you are still 'hungry' after this, then you need food, if not, you were just thirsty!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    A month ago I lost consciousness and was taken to ER by ambulance due to dehydration.
    I have kidney stones.
    I was a fool who didn't drink enough water - ever. I never seemed to feel thirsty.
    Now I drink 3litres/day. Now I actually feel thirsty.
    Drink the damn water!!:drinker:
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 litre bottle. I drink 1 and half a day usually. It's not even a task, I don't have to think about how much im drinking. I've actually drank 15 litres in 1 day before which was abit over kill. I suggest you get one.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    liquid is liquid. If your pee is light yellow, you are doing just fine hydrating yourself.

Our bathrooms at work have a little colour chart so you can see how your hydration is!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 litre bottle. I drink 1 and half a day usually. It's not even a task, I don't have to think about how much im drinking. I've actually drank 15 litres in 1 day before which was abit over kill. I suggest you get one.

I drink on average between 6 and 8 litres a day!
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as too much water?
    I'm trying to give up caffeine so cutting out tea and cola, and drinking water instead and I'm drinking sooo much water. It's nice but I'm getting awful headaches which I assume is from going cold turkey on the caffeine, but could it be from too much water too?

I do find the more I drink water instead of cola the more I want water, though I get the occasional craving for the fizz I just try to avoid it at all costs and go for water instead.