WW vs. MFP

Options
I was about to re-join WW and then I stumbled on MFP! I played around and was pleasantly pleased. Due to my hectic schedule, I think I would prefer an online program. Would love to hear from others with experience from both plans... Thank you!

Replies

• bellacharlie
    Options
    I too was about to rejoin WW. Several years back I did manage to attend the meetings but I was working full time and I had difficulty attending the meetings. I sometimes felt the meetings were more about selling their new products than having a support group. I have only been on this site for a few weeks but it seems very easy to journal what I am eating. I am looking for friends to give and get support.
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did WW online and did well, but then fell away from tracking and well....you know what happens then...
    I wanted/needed to get back on it, but money was an issue and then a friend told me about this (the school nurse suggested it) and so I figured I would try it..and I really, really like it...I'm tracking again and I've found the people on here to be wonderfully supportive of everyone...
  • nikongirl29
    nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past (and I did lose, but gained it all back and more) - MFP is better for me because it's straight up what you eat - I don't know how weight watches is now, but it used to be based on a points system so I really overdid it - like I wouldn't eat all day so I could have a reece cup - I don't feel like I got as much nutrition out of that as I do out of MFP and with MFP it really makes me be aware of everything I'm putting in my mouth - so I have to plan out my meals and make smart choices! I did like the meetings with WW though, but again, MFP = free :)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've done both and been success. I like MFP b/c its free. I couldn't afford to pay for WW anymore. MFP has made me pay more attention to what I eat. I know you can do it. Both programs take work and dedication.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago, it was before their new pure points. I like the simplicity of MFP. Calories in, calories out. No converting your food to points. Makes it really easy. But the structure of WW is something that MFP doesn't have. Make a pro's and cons of each. You can always use one or the other as a back up if the one you choose isn't working for you.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Agreed on all. They are out to make money. I had to unsubscribe from their emails because I felt like I was being stalked to start their new program. Really sick of the "new" programs they announce. Stick with one thing and just stay true to it. In my mind this is watching nutrients via this site. You have all the support you need and it's free. Why not?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Really sick of the "new" programs they announce.

I look at it THIS way. If their programs work, why do they have to keep having NEW ones?
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Also a former WW member. (Lost 28lbs, made it to goal, became a lifetime member, kept it off for 6 years before putting on a few and losing my free meeting status.)

WW still does points and they actually do suggest how you should distribute your points. Example, protein: 6 points , carbs: 14 points, etc.

To me, the biggest differences between the 2 are the cost and the weigh in.
    -With MFP you do not have to weigh in weekly. Or you can weigh every fews days, whatever works for you.
    -And obviously MFP is free. When I was in WW I found that paying for weight loss made me stick to it better. I didn't want to waste money on TOP of not losing.

I'm only on day 5 of MFP but I like it a lot. I can get DAILY support instead of just 1 hour a week. Community is key for me. (To be fair, WW does have an online version. It might be included with membership.)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Right. They do push you to buy products as well. And they are so expensive.
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find MFP to be less confusing. I liked the WW recipes and emails. I like not paying for MFP. It's one of the reasons I won't pay for Jillian Michaels App. I get the same stuff here for free. Also, no product pushing. It's actually not allowed here. That makes me happy. :smile:
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Although I have never joined WW, one of my co-workers uses it. Her main complaint is lack of accountability in between meetings. I love MFP, because as long as I have the internet handy (pretty much always with my smart phone) I can log my foods. THis helps when I am out and about and need to make healthy choices. :)
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did ww points plus in 2011 and lost 70 lbs, doing it online only. I came to mfp as needed a change and loved the idea it was free.
    WW website did have a lot of problems when posting, which annoyed me.

I do like mfp better as can track sugar or sodium, or etc., have an open diary all of which ww does not have, and can choose friends.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I joined WW a few years ago and lost around 10lbs (was there about 2.5 months) before slowly drifting away. I just didn't like having to keep to their schedule and attend meetings, just wasn't my 'thing' I guess. I joined MFP in June 2012 and have lost 68lbs so far, so it's pretty obvious MFP suits me better.

I like the freedom of being on this lifestyle in my own time and figuring things out as I go along, without having to buy into certain products or having to be at a certain location for a meeting each week, I'd much rather spend that evening in the gym! I found there was no support in between meetings, whereas on MFP I get support, guidance and advice daily from my friends and on the forums.

It's really all about finding out what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mfp is free which is a huge factor in why I use it and not WW. Also feel that the emphasis here is fitness and not just weight loss, or perhaps that is because I have been careful who I add as friends and what I read/pay attention to? I started C25K because of this site, and am glad I did as now I am much fitter than before.
  • voliver77
    voliver77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have done both and definitely prefer Mfp. For a start, it's free. I love being able to make friends and get support and ideas.. Going to ww meetings now with 2 young children just isn't practical for me anymore. I know there is ww online, but I don't want to pay for that when Mfp is free! I did lose a lot with ww but over the years I gained it all back, whereas I feel like Mfp is more sustainable.
  • nanniejulie
    Options
    hello there I have tried WW and did quite well to start with but it's expensive and a pain working out the points. All foods have calories printed for you so i find MFP simpler to use so thats what i'm sticking with but I suppose its whatever suits your life style and circumstances. good luck with whatever you decide to do.:smile:
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago and found I always hit a plateau, but never could really figure out why. -- and then I'd basically give up. I feel like MFP has better tools to help you understand why you aren't losing weight (eating too much sodium, etc.). Plus, if you have a question about anything you can always post to your MFP friends or create a topic on the message board to get suggestions, info, etc. So, for me, MFP definitely is the best choice for me.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I was about to re-join WW and then I stumbled on MFP! I played around and was pleasantly pleased. Due to my hectic schedule, I think I would prefer an online program. Would love to hear from others with experience from both plans... Thank you!
    I LOVE Weight Watchers!! I lost 35 pounds in 3 months after I had my middle son on their nursing mom's plan.

I hate that they change it every year, though. Seems like I was always having to relearn a program change.

I like MFP because they are consistent and it is FREE :) And I get tons of support. So...will be staying here!
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used WW a little over two years ago and lost weight fast but gained it all back.

I like MFP much better for these reasons:

1. It's FREE
    2. I think the food database is much bigger
    3. The community here is awesome
    4. For me, it's encouraged me to work out more. I did not work out doing WW. When I first started, seeing all of MFP friends working out, it really pushed me.
    5. WW says zero points for fruits and veggies, but there are a lot of calories in some fruits and veggies so I think it's doing a disservice to people who are counting them as nothing.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    WW $$$ MFP free, easy choice for me lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!