Body weight workouts

Options
Can you build muscles by doing body weight only? I want to give my body a break from weights because I've taken a beating...I know in order to grow muscles, you need to challenge them, but i noticed that push-up's and triceps dips make my muscle burn more than dumbbell's (though I do need to buy heavier ones). But until then, would body weight be effective? I also need to take it easy on my back but I want to make sure i'm still working it.

Replies

• maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    well, when u become comfortable doing all the exercises with your body weight switch to weight, u mentioned dips, but lets say u weight 100 lb. im sure u do not lift 100 lb in both hands when u do dumbells for your triceps xD
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    well, when u become comfortable doing all the exercises with your body weight switch to weight, u mentioned dips, but lets say u weight 100 lb. im sure u do not lift 100 lb in both hands when u do dumbells for your triceps xD

I weigh less than 100Lbs.. I'm underweight and trying to rebuild lost muscle. Which is why I'm underweight. = /

But no, I do not even lift my own body weight in free weights. haha
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, providing you keep adding intensity as the exercise you are doing becomes easy enough to do say three sets of fifteen; then make the exercise more difficult and so on. People will no doubt tell you there is a limit to the strength you can build but they are usually not looking beyond push-ups.

The best way to build back muscles and biceps strength at the same time has to be chin-ups and pull-ups. Use resistance bands on the pull-up bar and do negative reps if you cannot manage a proper pull-up yet.

two books I recommend and am working through at the moment:

You are your own Gym, and

Convict Conditioning

Will give you correct form, progressive exercise routines and ways of intensifying bodyweight routines for maximum strength and gains within a bodyweight program.

OK, you won't see bodybuilding or Olympian strength or muscular gains but not everyone wants that. What you will acheive will be a fine physique and remarkable strength compared to the un-trained physique.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to lift weights but I do think bodyweight exercise deserves its place in strength training as a real alternative. All best.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There is another benefit of lifting without additional weights...form! All it takes is one poorly executed lift and you will know! Practice your form...once your form is strong you can start looking at adding weight.

There is another benefit...no gym fees! LOL
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Can you build muscles by doing body weight only?

Yes.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, because I'm interested in this subject too. I've switched from heavy lifting to bodyweight exercises. It feels very different. I do feel sore after the upper body exercises, so I think they must be doing SOMETHING to my muscles! I don't feel much after the lower body exercises. Bodyweight squats feel absolutely nothing like doing squats with a heavy bar.

I find the increments more difficult with bodyweight exercises. I used to use fractional plates the gym, but it's difficult to make the tiny adjustments with bodyweight.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    OK, you won't see bodybuilding or Olympian strength or muscular gains but not everyone wants that.

Ummm, yes you can.

Muscle gain happens because of your diet, not the exercise you do. You have to strength train, yes, to build muscle, but this exercise doesn't work better than that one. Resistance is resistance.

Men's Olympic Gymnasts, guys that are quite muscular, build their muscles almost exclusively through bodyweight exercises.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and body weight training and I have seen fantastic results. :) Its a very good alternative to "lifting heavy"
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am using Bodyweight stuff and like it. I add dumbbells to some things, like to lunges and squats russian twists . It here is an app for the book "Ypu are your own gym", by Mark Lauren. The app is about $3-4 and you can get by with the app for the book, I think. I bought the book, before I knew about the app.

I am happy with doing body weights.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    OK, you won't see bodybuilding or Olympian strength or muscular gains but not everyone wants that.

Ummm, yes you can.

Muscle gain happens because of your diet, not the exercise you do. You have to strength train, yes, to build muscle, but this exercise doesn't work better than that one. Resistance is resistance.

Men's Olympic Gymnasts, guys that are quite muscular, build their muscles almost exclusively through bodyweight exercises.

I stand corrected, thanks Walddo. I think I was thinking in terms of mere mortals such as myself or anyone else who has limited time to commit to a bodyweight regime; whereas Olympic Gymnasts commit much of their waking life to bodyweight training and their specific disciplines.

Even so, I am seeing excellent gains in my own strength through bodyweight exercising and am enjoying the process of fiding ways of keeping up the resistance and would encourage anyone to have a go and not dismiss bodyewight training just because their are no weights involved.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take any more time than any other sort of workout either.

Gymnasts if anything are low, not high, on their muscular potential. Just like a competition Olympic lifter (except heavyweight), to reach a world class level one needs to specifically avoid hypertrophy as much as possible. Excess weight is the enemy of performance. In general strength exercises will not be taken to reps/times that favor muscle growth over strength adaptation.

The body can only handle so much time working in the 1RM, 3RM, 5RM, 8RM areas. As you get stronger your ability to do a ton of volume of easier stuff will increase, but your capacity to work higher volumes of higher intensities does not change much. If anything it goes down, not up.
  • kmmuellr
    Options
    Never Gymless by Ross Enamait.
    http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

Great variations on body weight exercises.

K
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    thank you, everyone! :happy: