When did people start to notice loss?

Options
StefieLou
StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
Good Morning all from Upstate NY!

I just wondered . . . how many pounds did you have to loose before you started to get comments/compliments from people at work, friends or family??

I am down 6 pounds so far, but don't think I look much different yet. I am guessing at some point, my face/cheeks will start to look thinner, and that might bring on come comments.
It's always so affirming when people start to notice!!

Replies

• exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is a touchy subject. People may notice well before they will say anything because weight loss/gain is not something we often talk about.

I know for me, when I lost about 20 lbs, people began to comment.
  • mwalker73
    Options
    It was about 20 lbs that people began to say anything.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It depends on how overweight you started off, how you carry your weight, etc. I lost 30 pounds total and no one mentioned anything until I got to the 10-15 pound loss range. Then coworkers who knew nothing of my intent to lose weight started commenting.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I second that people not saying doesn't mean they haven't noticed. I don't like to mention people's weight because you could unintentionally make someone feel like crap when you meant to compliment them.

Also, if you see people often it's hard to notice because its gradual.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    look at my difference topic. i lost 300 grams, not even a freaking kilo but there is a difference to be seen,

i guess it just depends, also because there is water weight, mucle weight etc.... i dont trust the scale as i trust before-progress pics.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    It depends on how overweight you started off, how you carry your weight, etc.

This. I lost 60 and only some people noticed (most didn't). At 70lbs down, those same people who didn't notice 60lbs gone all of a sudden were concerned that I was sick because I had lost "so much so fast.". As for me, well, I still don't notice it-but that's a whole different topic.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started at 252 and quite a few people started to notice after about 16lb :)
  • emilynw10
    Options
    About 2 weeks into the 30 Day Shred people started commenting. My father-in-law insisted that I must've lost about 7 kg (I hadn't lost any weight). No one knew I was doing it. I'm about 6 weeks into modifying my diet and exercising regularly and a lot of people have commented (even people who see me every day). The scale still hasn't budged (but my tape measure is my best friend).
  • amysue1971
    amysue1971 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58 lbs and very few people have commented. I started at 241 and am currently 183.
  • mingopink
    Options
    Experts say weight loss is noticeable when you lose 10% of your weight,
  • mingopink
    Options
    Wow! that is great! How could they NOT notice??? That is a significant loss! Congratulations!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A stone...then when the two stone was gone, they really started to comment...now the last stone just needs to shift...
  • changingforthegood
    Options
    my initial weight loss, it was about 15lbs before you could see a change, but now my face has thinned a great deal on only 10lbs
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I got to about 30lbs when people I hadn't told started saying something. Around 40 is when everyone noticed. It depends on how much you have to lose of course.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find people see it before I even do. I have had a lot of people make comments to me about loosing soo much weight even though it might have only been 10 pounds. I think it is all about where you carry it vs how much you lose.
  • amysue1971
    Options
    Wow! that is great! How could they NOT notice??? That is a significant loss! Congratulations!

Not sure, lol... I see a big difference. :) And thank you!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Most people didn't realize it until one, I posted a pic on Facebook (i now do it for every 5lbs and can't tell ya how many people comment now) or two, walking into places after not being in them for almost a year and watching the heads turn.

Most people don't say anything because they don't want to seem like they are being insulting (yes I have had people tell me that).

Also amazing job on the weight loss amysue!!!!!!!!!!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    The 10% mark is correct as the bigger you are the more weight you will need to loose before it's really noticable. I can also say personally that roughly 10% weight loss is also the point where people started to notice I'd lost some pounds.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    When did YOU start to notice!?
  • amysue1971
    Options
    ty Navy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!