Why aren't YOU watching biggest loser?!

Options

Replies

• Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Simple - I DON'T have a TV! I've got better things to do with my life than sit and watch programmes that seem to go out of their way to humiliate people.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't have time for people who are only doing it for the money and the fame, if they REALLY wanted to change their lives then it wouldn't/ shouldn't take a TV show to do it - a TV show which fails as soon as the season ends.

I'd rather be outside doing some exercise than sitting on a sofa watching this contrived TV show.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    also, the show doesn't necessarily teach any of the contestants how to live away from that phony ranch they are on. almost all of them gain back weight after leaving the show. some of them gain back alot of weight.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Biggest-Loser-Winner-Erik-Chopin-Gains-Weight-Back-Stars-Confessions-Reality-Show-Loser-6977573

this guy lost 214 lbs, won his season, left the show, and promptly gained 175 lbs back within 3 years.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    It got dropped over here in the UK by ITV this year, says it all really!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I watch it. Yea, it is a game show and yea, a lot of us will never spend more than an hour or two planning and cooking our meals and concentrating on exercise a day, but heck, it does show that people go home and come back for the finale and meet or exceed their weight loss goal.

I think the first show this year emphasized commitment and breaking through your mental doubts to get on the road to better healthy living. Yea, it's extreme. I hope we see more about the woman who walked off. I hope she finds the personal empowerment she needs.

I am also interested in how the kids do and how they help other kids...

But I totally get why people don't like the show.
  • Jenni272
    Options
    I watched it once or twice and was just waiting for a heart to explode or something. It was almost unreal. I believe in motivation, not a death sentence.
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Last night was the first time I ever watched this show. I agree, the money seems like the motivation. One guy broke his kids eye socket and fractured his skull when in a car accident his seat belt broke due to his weight and he hit his 3 or 4 year old with his 300 something pound frame. He promised his kid to lose weight 2 years ago and is still in the 300's and his seatbelt looked like a purse strap on last nights episode. I yelled at the t.v.....YOU SHOULD BE WAY THINNER BY NOW!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    It's too ridiculous and it makes me want to eat. There's something about watching people exercise that makes me want to hork down some chips.
  • sveltekitty
    Options
    BL makes me sick. I cannot stand the bullying from the trainers. There are ways to motivate people that do not involve humiliation and abuse. It's sensationalist and it perpetuates negative stereotypes about fat people.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Last night was the first time I ever watched this show. I agree, the money seems like the motivation. One guy broke his kids eye socket and fractured his skull when in a car accident his seat belt broke due to his weight and he hit his 3 or 4 year old with his 300 something pound frame. He promised his kid to lose weight 2 years ago and is still in the 300's and his seatbelt looked like a purse strap on last nights episode. I yelled at the t.v.....YOU SHOULD BE WAY THINNER BY NOW!

THIS and they showed the kid still sitting behind him in the car!
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Watching the Biggest Loser would be awesome right now considering I'm a Team Leader in the BL Challenge we are doing here on MFP...... but I don't have cable - I wish I could have cable JUST for that show - Normally however, I go to the gym and work out on the treadmill, stationary bike, and elliptical while watching it as the machines have tv's in them. BUT alas, my gym is closed sundays after 6pm and saturdays at 6pm but open 24 hours between monday and friday....

The show motivates me when I'm at the gym! WOOT WOOT!

Why couldn't BL be on on monday at 9pm... WAH

Just for the record, I don't like Jillian, never have, never will. Bob is alright though. I like him. He has more compassion. BUT I wonder when will they get a trainer who actually used to BE FAT.... they would know best how it feels...
  • lolo641
    lolo641 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the show , gives me some insperation. Love watching the transformation in all the people.
  • peles_fire
    Options
    Because I'm at the gym?
  • lolo641
    lolo641 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said ..Perfect.....
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am...love Julian, Bob and Dovett. The show motivates me to keep moving, to keep sticking to it.
    I watch it too....all for the same reasons as you :happy:
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Watching the Biggest Loser would be awesome right now considering I'm a Team Leader in the BL Challenge we are doing here on MFP...... but I don't have cable - I wish I could have cable JUST for that show - Normally however, I go to the gym and work out on the treadmill, stationary bike, and elliptical while watching it as the machines have tv's in them. BUT alas, my gym is closed sundays after 6pm and saturdays at 6pm but open 24 hours between monday and friday....

The show motivates me when I'm at the gym! WOOT WOOT!

Why couldn't BL be on on monday at 9pm... WAH

Just for the record, I don't like Jillian, never have, never will. Bob is alright though. I like him. He has more compassion. BUT I wonder when will they get a trainer who actually used to BE FAT.... they would know best how it feels...

I believe Jilliam was fat as a child. She has mentioned it a few times...the ridicule she went through at the hand of others. I used to like the show a couple of years ago, but didn't really enjoy watching all the people vomiting, etc. last night. The people are getting fatter, and the situations seem dangerous to me.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching it for probably the last 3 seasons because it just got too stupid to me. My interest is reborn because of Jillian returning, throwing some kids into the mix and knowing that Bob has become big into CrossFit, as I myself started CrossFit last month, so I'm interested to see what he incorporates from it.

I know some people don't like the "bullying" methods from some of the trainers, as I've browsed through some of the comments on here, but sometimes it's what a lot of obese people need.....a real "cut the crap" and get it done push. I used to be 387 and have lost 150lbs so far and had a trainer as well - no not as dramatic as TV of course, but it was that same type of attitude and she would call me on the excuses and "woe is me" stuff.

Anyway, I have last night TIVO'd and am looking forward to watching it tonight :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    TV is boring.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love the show, I know it is a glorified reality show however it drastically changes peoples lives
    on and off the show. There is a lot of staged drama for ratings, there is also top rated medical personal there
    at all times! Anything that gets people motivated and moving is worth it.
    The way they are working with and handling the kids is a major plus as well.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I lvoe jillian and bob. its most of the contestents on the show that are hard to watch. Just watching them say things like " I promised my son. children, wife and all others on planet/ what have you that i would lose weight for 10 years now, and now that i won the lottery and im finally on this show im going to do it!!" i hear that about 15 times and i dont much like it. Its like.. wow. wow. i mean you never really know the whole story and im glad these people are getting help, they need it. i just cant belive how much they think they cant change their lives without this show.