Endometriosis and Weight Gain

Options
Hi all,

Struggling with endometriosis (have not begun any treatment yet) and I haven't been to the gym since the summer. It's not only the abdominal pain (worsened by exercise - even bringing home laundry or climbing subway stairs are a challenge), but the extreme fatigue that keeps me from attempting work outs.

So far I've tried to walk more in the morning and evening, going to farther-away subway stops - just trying to fit in any little exercise that i can. But it's so frustrating to have gained weight since this condition arose. I was doing so well over the summer, working out several times per week and losing 5+ lbs. The lack of exercise + eating comfort food in light of pain has really done me damage.

Any tips would be welcome. How do fellow sufferers deal with the inability to exercise on bad days, and the increasing desire to turn to comfort food in moments of pain?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• pennylaner
    Options
    Bump - any ladies with endo on the forum?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    bump for you!
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I actually have an appointment in two hours to talk with my doctor about the possibility of my having endometriosis. Luckily I don't get pain from working out, but I do get tired a lot. I'm nervous to find out exactly what's going on with my body. The pain can be excruciating at times!
  • pennylaner
    Options
    Thanks bearkisses!

Best of luck, Aphelion. Fingers crossed for both of us that we find solutions, and that maybe we can learn strategies for keeping the weight off (and the pain away!).
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have had endo for years! I started getting treament when I was younger with birth control, it helped with my pain. Something I have always stood by and helped me through many really rough times was a heating pad, a hot water bottle and lots of chocolate.

I am now on my third year of Depo Provera (wouldn't suggest this route if you look to have kids in the future as it will mess your body up) and I am only now having my symptoms return but it's really random when the pain occurs rather than being constant which is better than constant. And I still use that tried and true heating pad, hot water bottle and chocolate to help me through it.

Good luck! Finding a strategy with Endo is not the most fun but has it's own rewards :)
  • Sandinkler
    Sandinkler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with endo about 7 or 8 years ago. I've managed the pain well, for the most part. Now I'm married and trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get pregnant. Dr says to not give up hope, so I'm hoping that getting my weight under control and changing my eating habits might be what finally works.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed in October. It was nice to know why I was in so much pain but the treatment that was suggested didn't seem right for me at the time.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I lost 60lbs, then gained 20 back after a surgery to remove a cyst (that's when they found the endometriosis) - I've had a really hard time trying to get back on track. Can't seem to get that consistency back that I had before the surgery.

Best of luck to you & thanks again ~
    Teri
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had a severe case back in 2005-06, had surgery, and felt much better after.

It is back now on my remaining ovary and getting worse and worse each month - fewer 'recovery days', more 'handfuls-of-Advil' days.

Thank you for posting - It reminds me to schedule a doctor's appointment for this (I must have grown used to the chronic pain).

I find sitting for long periods of time (um, like working at a computer 10 hours a day) aggravates it so my time stretching and walking actually helps.

I hope you feel better.
  • teresaislosingitsmith
    Options
    I do have Endometriosis...diagnosed 25 years ago. Surgery and meds followed by fertility treatments resulting in one miscarriage and two wonderful sons (22 and 18). I didn't really have a problem with weight gain until more recently (hypothyroidism). I do know what you mean about the pain and exercise though. Don't really have any words of wisdom, but you might want to check out the Endometriosis Association http://www.endometriosisassn.org/
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    walk in small amounts mulitble times a day and do your best to focus on your diet. weight loss isn't all about exercise. it is of course great for your over all health, and you should definately exercise. but i would focus on pain managment and diet for now so you can get your weight loss started.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have endometriosis. I am about to turn 40, and I've known I had it since I was about 20. Thankfully I was able to have two beautiful boys, but not without having it removed by laproscope twice....all types of bc pills and patches... lupron shots (Don't do those!!!)...and eventually had a complete hysterectomy at 32. Even after the hysterectomy, I had issues and ended up having a 5 hour surgery to remove it from my bladder...ureter...etc. Once that all got healed up, I was much better. From time to time, I feel a little tinge, but I am 99% percent better and I would help anyone to feel better because I have been lower than low with the pain.

People who haven't suffered this type of pain have NO IDEA what it's like. The heating pad is your friend! I bought a nifty little thing that was filled with popcorn that you could heat up...it was fantastic due to the weight it provided that you can't get from the heating pad. It was about 30.00 and worth 1,000!!!!

Weight gain is a very real part of this disease because of the pain. If you constantly hurt, you can't exercise. And, I found myself in bed crying rather than doing active things.

I'm sorry you are suffering!!! If you need a good Dr. and can go to TN or NY, message me and I will give you a name. Honestly, I would have walked (well....if I could have) a thousand miles to get relief! I had doctors to tell me I was just depressed...that I was "cured", etc. Do NOT let a Dr. tell you how you feel or convince you that it's in your head.
  • joannecando
    Options
    I sure wish I had good answers for you, but I don't. All I have is my experience. I fought endo for many years, through pain and infertility and multiple surgeries. After my second child, I decided that between the PCOS and Endo, I had had enough and had all the girly bits removed. Thankfully, the pain is gone. Not so thankfully, between the meds and the hormones, I have steadily gained a LOT of weight.

Just so I don't sound too negative, there are some bright spots. If you can fight through the initial pain, and realize that breakthrough pain usually isn't your ovaries exploding, exercise helps a lot. On those really bad days, if you can't manage targeted exercise, light cardio could help. Yoga is great. Be really careful with pain meds though. Every time they have prescribed them for me, I have ended up gaining a lot of weight. I don't understand the chemistry of it (though I am sure somebody here does), but that is what happens. Try evening primrose oil and the trusty old heating pad. Those Thermacare things that you can stick to your abdomen while you are on the go are lifesavers too.

I wish you the very best!
  • pennylaner
    Options
    Wow - thank you ladies so much. I think one of the biggest struggles of endo is feeling alone and that others can't understand what you're going through, so I appreciate so much hearing from you. I'll respond individually to your posts but I just wanted to say THANKS!

I know I mostly need to give my own self a kick in the butt and start eating better, because that in turn will probably make my body feel better. It's just been hard when my heating pad and food are my only comforts right now, haha.
  • pennylaner
    Options
    I had a severe case back in 2005-06, had surgery, and felt much better after.

It is back now on my remaining ovary and getting worse and worse each month - fewer 'recovery days', more 'handfuls-of-Advil' days.

Thank you for posting - It reminds me to schedule a doctor's appointment for this (I must have grown used to the chronic pain).

I find sitting for long periods of time (um, like working at a computer 10 hours a day) aggravates it so my time stretching and walking actually helps.

I hope you feel better.

I feel you, the normal days mix with the pain days so often it's hard to know how severe my condition is. Either that, or I'm getting too used to the chronic pain. :-/

Sitting also bothers me too - at work, and especially on the commute home. At the end of the day I'm always so excited to lie down with my heating pad, lol.
  • pennylaner
    Options
    Hi,
    I have endometriosis. I am about to turn 40, and I've known I had it since I was about 20. Thankfully I was able to have two beautiful boys, but not without having it removed by laproscope twice....all types of bc pills and patches... lupron shots (Don't do those!!!)...and eventually had a complete hysterectomy at 32. Even after the hysterectomy, I had issues and ended up having a 5 hour surgery to remove it from my bladder...ureter...etc. Once that all got healed up, I was much better. From time to time, I feel a little tinge, but I am 99% percent better and I would help anyone to feel better because I have been lower than low with the pain.

People who haven't suffered this type of pain have NO IDEA what it's like. The heating pad is your friend! I bought a nifty little thing that was filled with popcorn that you could heat up...it was fantastic due to the weight it provided that you can't get from the heating pad. It was about 30.00 and worth 1,000!!!!

Weight gain is a very real part of this disease because of the pain. If you constantly hurt, you can't exercise. And, I found myself in bed crying rather than doing active things.

I'm sorry you are suffering!!! If you need a good Dr. and can go to TN or NY, message me and I will give you a name. Honestly, I would have walked (well....if I could have) a thousand miles to get relief! I had doctors to tell me I was just depressed...that I was "cured", etc. Do NOT let a Dr. tell you how you feel or convince you that it's in your head.

I have an electric heating pad but the one you suggested sound amazing! Do you know what it's called?

Again, thanks for your kind words. It means so much to hear from someone who understands! I'll message you about docs!
  • pennylaner
    Options
    I sure wish I had good answers for you, but I don't. All I have is my experience. I fought endo for many years, through pain and infertility and multiple surgeries. After my second child, I decided that between the PCOS and Endo, I had had enough and had all the girly bits removed. Thankfully, the pain is gone. Not so thankfully, between the meds and the hormones, I have steadily gained a LOT of weight.

Just so I don't sound too negative, there are some bright spots. If you can fight through the initial pain, and realize that breakthrough pain usually isn't your ovaries exploding, exercise helps a lot. On those really bad days, if you can't manage targeted exercise, light cardio could help. Yoga is great. Be really careful with pain meds though. Every time they have prescribed them for me, I have ended up gaining a lot of weight. I don't understand the chemistry of it (though I am sure somebody here does), but that is what happens. Try evening primrose oil and the trusty old heating pad. Those Thermacare things that you can stick to your abdomen while you are on the go are lifesavers too.

I wish you the very best!

Thank you for your suggestions!!
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Have you tried cinnamon pills? I heard of them in one of the old forums & suggested them to my niece whom suffers greatly with endo and ovarian cysts. She's been taking them and it's helped her. I had other pelvic pain issues and so every day I load up a bunch of cinnamon on my eggo waffles & it's improved it. I suggest that. You can also do a forum search and see if anyone has gotten better advice or ideas about it.

Good Luck & Hope you feel better quickly!
  • donnamfreitagross
    Options
    I totally understand what you going through, I had a complete, and i mean complete hysterectomy at 32 as well, I will be 35 in march, my issue is the hormone replacement therapy i am on, and how my body struggles to lose an ounce!! But i will keep going and i think you should as well, even just light walking, it took a full year for me before i could do the lightest of things.
  • platina416
    platina416 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nothing else to add that the wonderful ladies above haven't gotten to... although I'd also add to beware of Lupron - the side effects can be horrendous and affect the rest of your life - do your own research if your doctor wants to put you on it.
  • mistressmozart
    mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're suffering, I have very severe endometriosis as well. All i can recommend is, if you can, get yourself to the Center for Endometriosis Care in Atlanta. It was after their surgery that i got some relief! I'd had surgery before with laser, totally ineffective and was given the most awful medications. Lupron, Depo provera...do not get these!! http://www.centerforendo.com/

look into the CEC, they know what they're doing and really care about their patients. Good luck and I hope you feel better!