Healthy hangover cures

Options
Okay, I find it really difficult when I'm hungover or drinking to resist all the fatty, greasy foods like chips and kebabs, or a massive fry up. At the minute my diet hangover cures just consist of wholemeal toast and cous cous, does anyone have any more inventive ideas that work?
Cheers lovelies

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Don't drink so much?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Tons of water

I don't drink much anymore, but on the rare occasion that I do I feel better after a breakky with wheat toast, eggs, a slice of lean bacon and some tomatoes and mushrooms.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    a quart of gatorade, 2 Excedrine Migraine, Scrambled Eggs, and toast with jam.

Works.Every.Time.
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely have to try some of those next time I'm out - and lets face it, I'm a uni student living in the party block, it probably won't be that long before I get convinced again ;D
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely have to try some of those next time I'm out - and lets face it, I'm a uni student living in the party block, it probably won't be that long before I get convinced again ;D

Yep. That's how I perfected my "hangover cure". College was a haze of late nights and early bloodshot-eyes mornings.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    a quart of gatorade, 2 Excedrine Migraine, Scrambled Eggs, and toast with jam.

Works.Every.Time.

Yup, sounds pretty similar to mine. Scrambled Eggs (with veggies thrown in if you have the energy), sometimes bacon or turkey bacon, an apple or some sort of fruit, and like 100 litres of water. Or make an egg sandwich/wrap with lots of veggies and perhaps some bacon. Subway can hit the spot pretty well, just watch out for your sauces and meat. If you are really lazy and hung over, make something healthy the night before and put it in the fridge. Yes, I have done that.

Also, if you drink hard liquor, try a drink with water. I like whiskey, water and a splash of lemon juice. Or rum (or voldka, which I don't personally enjoy), water and a splash of cranberry (or orange, or lemon, or all three!). Maybe just whiskey, water and some ice. Or if you are doing shots, drink a cup of water after every shot. I know it sounds a little weird, but I find it helps because you don't get as dehydrated during the night. It's also way more healthy than diet cola or other low carb drinks.

Can you tell I have lots of experience? :tongue: I'm a bartender and can get overzealous about the drinks.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of tea and water until I feel normal again and then food is allowed back!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    A pint of water before bed helps. Can't stop teh kebab/pizza cravings the night before though. If anyone works that out I'd like to know!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    water water water, coffee, something light like eggs and toast as another poster suggested, painkillers, a nap.

i love the fatty stuff when im hung over, too.
  • krs5201
    krs5201 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    An egg sandwich and juice/gatorade are the only things that make me feel any better.

The egg sandwich does the trick. You could probably just "fry" up the egg whites in some olive oil or light cooking spray if you want to avoid the cholesterol of yolks.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Coconut water... it is very good for hydration. Sobe makes a line of flavored drinks that are 10% coconut water that are really tasty. Or I just get a can of 100% by Goya and use it to swallow a couple Advil... a little activity to get the blood pumping is a great cure too.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B and C with lots of water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Okay, I find it really difficult when I'm hungover or drinking to resist all the fatty, greasy foods like chips and kebabs, or a massive fry up. At the minute my diet hangover cures just consist of wholemeal toast and cous cous, does anyone have any more inventive ideas that work?
    Cheers lovelies
    Yes, reduce you alcohol intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Nothing. Lol. If there had been a "cure" I would've found it, believe me.

Time.

Water, gatorade, pain meds, B vitamins.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a little activity to get the blood pumping is a great cure too.

yep-
    THAT.
    i usually do the water/eggs/etc. thing until i'm good enough to face outside, and then go for a long, brisk walk. im sure it's not scientifically true, but "sweating out the alcohol" (& releasing endorphins) really helps.
    a lot.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Tons of water!