Being under

Options
I notice that a lot of people praise people for being under on their calories but have read that you should eat your calories given and the calories you burned while working out as well. So why all the praise for being significantly under, 300-500+ under, should the aim be to be that far under or should it be to eat the calories given and earned? It seems so conflicting.

Replies

• p1nkdreams
    Options
    If you're aiming to lose weight, then you should not be eating the calories you burn.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    i can't speak for others' experiences, but I only ate back half of my exercise calories bc I felt MFP's estimates were grossly inflated. I got a HRM about a month ago, and turns out, they are. Only activities for me that are close to the same numbers are running, jumping rope and running stairs. That said, there are some people who NEVER east back their exercise calories. I guess they are only hoping to weigh a certain amount, not preserve muscle.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If you're aiming to lose weight, then you should not be eating the calories you burn.

Not true. I have lost eating 2700 calories a day, give or take a few based on my activity. Additionally, mfp gives you a deficit base on how much you want to lose. you're already at, say, a 500 calorie deficit if you've chosen to lose a lb a week. eating back your exercise calorie....if they're accurate....does not change this deficit.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree, at least for myself, that I should keep to the number mfp gives me. Ive had too many tries with undereating in desperation at seeing my weight higher than I expected. But weight loss is about a lifestyle change, and undereating by that many calories isnt possible long term. Even if I work out, I subtract the number of calories I burned off, and take the net number of calories im taking in.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Really, I haven't noticed that, but that doesn't mean anything. I find that people that say they eat 1200, a good percentage consume lower. It's action-reaction, from one extreme to the other and the reason a good sales pitch for diets make people a lot of money, lets face it, people will buy into anything, so what makes consuming higher calories the better option, it takes longer, who has time. If I could invest in a dieting index stock, I would be rich beyond my dreams in 5 years.
  • p1nkdreams
    Options
    I, personally, do not follow what MFP recommends because it's not very precise on what people should be eating. Every one is different and based on level of activity, height, weight, and gender, your body has different caloric needs and nutritional macros. But as a generalized statement, someone who wants to lose weight NEEDS a caloric deficit or they are just going to maintain where they are at.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I personally don't "eat back" exercise calories. I adjusted my caloric needs based off of my workout, So i eat 1700-1800 calories a day. MFP gave me a 1200 cal goal to lose 2lbs a week before exercise, so instead of eating and then working out and being like "dang, i have 500-700 cals extra to eat" i just eat more to accommodate my workouts and on the day(s) where i don't workout i eat less.
  • cbrandew
    Options
    I actually have a hard time eating the amount of calories allotted to me. I am supposed to eat something like 1460 but am constantly 200-600 (sometimes up to 800) under. I eat as much as I'm able to eat, in smaller segments through the day, but I just am not hungry enough to eat that much. I typically find that even working out doesn't really make me hungry. so if eating all of those calories is essential...then i will be failing at this program.

This is not even to mention when I exercise. I have ended up earning back my full number of calories, between whats left from the day and exercise, but no way could I eat another 1400 calories.

Idk.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Not true. I have lost eating 2700 calories a day, give or take a few based on my activity. Additionally, mfp gives you a deficit base on how much you want to lose. you're already at, say, a 500 calorie deficit if you've chosen to lose a lb a week. eating back your exercise calorie....if they're accurate....does not change this deficit.

Agree.
  • p1nkdreams
    Options
    I have this same problem too. My goal is 1,800 calories a day and I'm trying to gain muscle weight, so I should be eating all of the calories I burn as well. But some days I burn 500-800 calories, so eating that on top of 1,800 calories is a lot for me especially when you're eating healthy food that doesn't contain many calories. My only suggestion is start supplementing with protein shakes. That's how I plan on meeting my goal.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I actually have a hard time eating the amount of calories allotted to me. I am supposed to eat something like 1460 but am constantly 200-600 (sometimes up to 800) under. I eat as much as I'm able to eat, in smaller segments through the day, but I just am not hungry enough to eat that much. I typically find that even working out doesn't really make me hungry. so if eating all of those calories is essential...then i will be failing at this program.

I'm afraid you may be right about that. You must learn to meet your caloric needs without over-eating or eating junk if you're to have any hope at all of maintaining your weight loss for the long term. You won't learn anything from chronic under-eating, however hard it may be to eat your allotted calories. You're just replacing one set of bad habits for another.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    See this is where I feel there is the conflicting info. It seems split with people who say that extra should be eaten and others claiming 1200 is what should be eaten since that seems to be where mfp starts people 1200-1400. I've hear of some people eating based on their tdee which also calculates calories burned. Maybe there isn't a universal answer I just want to eat the appropriate caloric amount and its hard to know what that is when told so many other things!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...But some days I burn 500-800 calories, so eating that on top of 1,800 calories is a lot for me especially when you're eating healthy food that doesn't contain many calories....
    There are plenty of "healthy" foods that are calorie dense and will get you up to your goals in a hurry. Avocados, nuts, dairy, olive oil, peanut butter, etc. Cook one of your foods in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and you've just added 200 calories to your day. Put 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a couple celery stalks and you have another 200 calories. Half of an avocado is around 160 calories - top your salad or veggies with it. All of these foods contain healthy, essential fats. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that dietary fat = body fat, because it's not true.
  • I don't go below 1200. Some days I eat a little more and some days I may be under because I dont eat back my exercise calories. I just dont think the amount burned given is completely accurate so I just stick to 1200. Going below 1200 is not healthy and would give you no energy to go about your day.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I, personally, do not follow what MFP recommends because it's not very precise on what people should be eating. Every one is different and based on level of activity, height, weight, and gender, your body has different caloric needs and nutritional macros. But as a generalized statement, someone who wants to lose weight NEEDS a caloric deficit or they are just going to maintain where they are at.

I see where you are coming from, but most people that do not lose weight following MFP's plan (tracking calories and exercise and maintaining a moderate deficit) fail due to not logging/estimating their food and exercise properly or accurately.

Using a blanket statement to tell people to exercise and not eat back calories is mis-informed and can be a dangerous or unhealthy way to lose weight due to the possibility of creating a huge calorie deficit.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I usually have a big calorie deficit because I love to exercise and get in a nice, long sweat. I eat healthily, build in some treats every day, and stop eating when I'm no longer hungry.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

MFP calorie numbers are already set at a defict, so if you don't eat back the calories, you are just making the deficit larger.

For some people that is not a problem as they set a small defict and rely on exercise to get some more deficit, but for others who may have set a 1000 calorie defict, telling them not to eat back their exercise calories is bad advice.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    LOL I wish you could set a goal range and if you're within that it would say you met your goal. Because I'm over half the time on purpose. But I'm way under some days too, since I'm set to maintenance. And everyone does it differently so it's hard to know if they did a good job or not really. Like maybe they are 300 lbs and have it set to maintenance and if they are 1000 calories under then that's what they intended and it's good :)
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I'm set to lose 1 lb a week, and would be happy doing that. I seem to be losing much faster than that, but I think I was retaining water after the holidays and I'm just now shedding it.
  • adriensmommy88
    adriensmommy88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally don't "eat back" exercise calories. I adjusted my caloric needs based off of my workout, So i eat 1700-1800 calories a day. MFP gave me a 1200 cal goal to lose 2lbs a week before exercise, so instead of eating and then working out and being like "dang, i have 500-700 cals extra to eat" i just eat more to accommodate my workouts and on the day(s) where i don't workout i eat less.

I do this also buuuut! I just read in Women's Health magazine that a nutrionist said you should'nt eat less than 1400 calories, and I am eating 1200.. any ideas on that? is 1200 too little for anyone even a 5 foot tall me?