MFP vs Bodybugg??

Options
I was doing weight watchers and guess I just got super bored with it because I just keep getting off track. This is my 5th time at least trying to get back into the swing of it and I can't seem to get it together so I thought maybe I should try something new.

I convinced myself I was going to fork out the $250ish and get a Body bugg.I've seen 3 girls at work lose a lot of weight using it. However, someone told me about this site and I thought I would try it out first. I'm thinking the only difference is the accuracy of calories you burn each day. What is everyone who is familiar with the Pricey device's opinion? Can I get the same results using MFP? Also, what makes everyone so successful that Has lost weight on here?? Are you on specific diets or just eating healthier staying within your calories for the day?

Replies

• sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the Body Bugg but I've had success with MFP. Think about getting a HRM but can't justify the expense when MFP is free. That being said, there are times when I would like to know exactly how many calories I am burning. For example, as I take more Zumba classes, I don't know how my body is reacting to it as well. I have made the decision to not get an HRM until my weight loss starts to plateau. Until then, I'll just use MFP! :-)
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    I think this site keeps me honest. I am logging what I eat...everything I eat, even the bad stuff. I also log my exercise. I feel like it is a goal everyday to do so. The people on this site struggle the same way I do so the support they give is awesome. You think you have a unique question...and it turns out someone has already asked it. The best thing about this site...IT'S FREE! The body bugg is expensive...and it can't give you the emotional support you need on the weight loss journey.
    Hope you stay with us...there is plenty of space for everyone!
  • kellyd23
    kellyd23 Posts: 24
    Options
    The support on this site seems AMAZING!! That is definitely a great point!
  • jenwillbthin
    Options
    Maybe you could "rent" one from a co-worker for a week and see how it works for you.?
  • Crickks
    Crickks Posts: 94
    Options
    Hey :).........

Go with the Bodybugg, it does all the work for you, plus it’s on sale for 179.00 until April 25, with free ground shipping. I ordered mines last week Friday and it should be here tomorrow.. and I can not wait.

Go to http://mystore.24hourfitness.com or www.24hourfitness.com....

I also used coupon code “bbgcj24" (it worked for me) and save 15.00.
  • samsonov77
    samsonov77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey there! I used a BodyBugg about 2 years ago (I am the Group Exercise Manager at my gym so I got APEX to give it to me for free for a 2 month trial). I was so excited to see how many calories I was burning, and surprise, it was SO super close to all of the "online calorie calculators" i'd always tried. After 2 weeks, I knew my calorie burn like the back of my hand. It was very consistent, I could predict it depending on which exercise classes I did, so I didn't need it anymore. I recently have gotten a Heart Rate Monitor and SAME THING. Almost identical to any online calculator I've tried. And it's gotten so predictable that I don't use it much anymore - I just know it now.

My thought to you is, it's GREAT to know exactly how many calories you're burning, but after about a week, you'll have it down for the most part. So if one of your friends with the BodyBugg or a heart rate monitor would let you borrow theirs, that would be your best (economical) bet!

GOOD LUCK!
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have experience with both :) Hands down, if I could afford it right now, I would do the body bugg. If you research the device, it reads your biometrics something like 5 different ways. It is much more accurate than a heart rate monitor too. I still use my heart rate monitor though, I love it for many reasons. My trainer loaned me his body bugg for about 3-4 months and it is one heck of an eye opener as to your actual calorie burns. The site is pretty neat too.

Also with the body bugg, you wear it all day long so you can easily see how taking the stairs instead of the elevator increases your daily burn.
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to add to this discussion is that while it is great to be accurate with your calorie burn, a lot of it is also the nutrition. and the only way to be accurate with that is to 1. track it and 2. be honest with yourself while you track it. even with that... with all the measuring and weighing of food... it's still not 100% accurate as to how many calories you are taking in. So, in my opinion, it all evens out in the end, even if you are just using the number that MFP or the machines at the gym give you as your burned calories.
    On a side note, i do use a Heart rate monitor, but i use it more to measure the intensity that i am working at.. It helps me to assess whether or not i should pick it up a notch during my workouts.
  • 2bskinnyagain1978
    Options
    I use both .. the body bugg keeps track of how many calories you burn.. and it acurratly keeps track of how much you burned on a machine an aerobic class etc and u can enter your food etc keep track of your steps and calories burned and consumed it is well worht the money but I also keep track on here to because I like the enter action with everybody so I would say do both...my hbby lost over 100 pounds using the body bugg ..
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The bodybugg is basically a glorified HRM. An HRM will measure calories burned during a period of strenuous effort (exercise), while a bodybugg measures calories burned all day. Using those tools in tandem with MFP is nothing short of knocking the ball out of the park-- a home run. MFP keeps you honest. An HRM/BB gives you facts.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    yay I just ordered one lol I am excited got it for 164.00!!
  • kellyd23
    Options
    Where did you find it for $164? And are you getting the wrist watch too that shows calories burned as you go about your day?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The bodybugg is amazing! I don't have it, but want it! Someone here posted about the fitbit (http://www.fitbit.com/ )yesterday which seems similar. A HRM is a great tool also! I use it when I do cardio like running or spin class to track calories burned. When you enter here is it an estimate. If you go with a HRM go for the Polar brand.

I am very interested in buying the bodybugg now that I see it's on sale!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that this site is great for motivation and inspiration and has helped me keep track of calories consumed and has kept me in check in that regard.

Why don't you consider doing something a little less expensive. Instead of buying the bodybugg for $170.00 plus, how about a good heart rate monitor with a chest strap? You can find one for about $100.00 and not spend as much money. It will still tell you calories burned for exercise and keep you on track. I love my HRM, I do not exercise without out.

You did not mention if you exercise or not so if you do NOT exercise, then you probably want to consider the bodybugg because I believe it calculates calories burned for "all" activity, even sitting. Just something to think about.
  • kellyd23
    Options
    I do excercise 4-5 times a week, but for now only doing cardio due to my buldging disc in my back giving me all kinds of pain :( I do 30 minutes on the eliptical each day (at lunch so it's all I have time for at the gym) and I'm about to start Physcial thearpy so hopefully they will teach me some other exercises I can do that will be okay for my back.
    I noticed that when I put in my workout on this site it was very close to the amount of calories the eliptical actually said I burned. I guess l'm mainly concerned about all of those extra calories I burn such as walking up and down the steps and doing laundry etc. that will show up with the body bugg.

I just got off the elevator with a girl who has lost 45lbs using the bugg She looks AMAZING. She said she swears by it and would reccomend it to anyone.. I'm really leaning towards getting it... I just wonder if I'm not sticking to my diet now, what makes me think this thing on my arm will make me. Something's GOT to give.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    Go to http://mystore.24hourfitness.com or www.24hourfitness.com....

I also used coupon code “bbgcj24" (it worked for me) and save 15.00. to it comes to 164 and comes with the watch and the actual monitor thing lol I know thats not very technical but I am pretty excited!!
  • Crickks
    Options
    I got my Bodybugg.........so far so good. As stated in my frist post go www.24hourfitness.com (sale ends 4/30/10) AND the watch is not encluded..
  • Crickks
    Options
    It’s not recommend multiple users on 1 Bodybugg armband. Each armband is linked to a particular Bodybugg online program. Having multiple users wearing the same device simultaneously would negate the accuracy and effectiveness of the overall Bodbugg progam.
  • kellyd23
    Options
    Yeah I don't think you can really "borrow" anyone's. You could buy a used one I guess but not borrow one.... not to mention I don' t know anyone who would be willing to give it up.....everyone I know LOVES IT!