Spin Class booked - terrified!

Options
I have started going to the classes at my gym. Bootcamp, Circuit and Legs, Bums and Tums type classes, and I LOVE them.

I can only go to the gym after 8pm, and tonights late class is spin... I've never done it before and it terrifies me! I'm no where near as fit as I want to be, and spin looks incredibly daunting!

So, please, could I shamlessly ask for a bit of motivation and encouragement to get my *kitten* in there tonight? :blushing:

Replies

• Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Depends on the instructor how good the music is, but it's usually catchy. It won't be that bad, just go at your own pace and you'll be fine.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love spin. You'll be sore after your first time since you're not used to sitting in saddle that long. You can take it at your own pace and when they add tension you can go easier. No one will ever know. It's a great workout and you'll burn major calories.

Good luck and have fun!
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid...you'll love it....as PAZlady says you do it at your own pace...go easy on the tensions at first and no one knows what tension you have it at and we're all different. No one takes any notice of anyone else. You'll have a great workout....i used to be scared but love it now...i'm going for first time since before xmas tonight! you do some great classes already so don't be scared.
    enjoy :o)
  • stgmanitoba
    Options
    You can do it!! Spin is actually one of my favorite classes! As already said since you can adjust the tension you can go at your own place. If the instructor says turn up the tension but you can't that is OK! I remember the first class I was huffing and puffing and thought why am I doing this at the beginning and then before I knew it the end of class had come.. It gets better the more you go. Give it a chance more than once if your unsure.. Also when you get there ask the instructor to help you set up your bike since positioning can make all the difference.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I LOVE spin. My favourite class, have done them on and off for years.

Why are spin classes great...

...you burn LOADS of calories without putting loads of strain on your joints
    ...the relatively stationary position means the extra rolls of fat that wobble unflatteringly don't (well not AS much!)
    ...doesn't require learning lots of moves/hand eye coordination
    ...regardless of fitness, everyone looks as dead as each other at the end

But I have had bad ones, so...

...get there a bit early, introduce yourself to the instructor and ask for clear instructions on how to set up the bike. If the positioning is wrong you will be sore in all the wrong ways
    ...also ask the instructor what will happen during the class. Different instructors use the bikes in different ways. A spin bike has a dial on it for resistance to make it harder/easier and the idea is you change it up and down during the session. Different instructors communicate this differently - e.g. one of mine tells you to put it up/down a specific amount (e.g. 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn) another just says up/down and how you should be feeling

Also remember...

...drink water beforehand and take a water bottle with you to have close by to drink during the class
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They get the music pumping and you're all pedaling your little brains out.
    Will be super fun!

Advice: If you've signed up for an HOUR class and it's your first time, take it easy on piling on the weight (be conservative) because you'll have She-Ra thighs the next day and they will HURT! Don't get too carried away and put too much weight on the wheel. Talk with the teacher.

Have fun!
  • chcoley
    chcoley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did my first full spin class last week...my butt hurt for two days after! It is a great workout though...burns tons of calories! Everyone I've talked to says you have to do it 2-3 times before the saddle stops hurting your butt...I hope they're right! Ha!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Spin is great! The first few classes are killer as your body adjusts but it's a huge rush!

Go early, tell the instructor that you are new so you can get the bike adjusted to your body/height.
    Bring lots of water, you need to stay hydrated.
    Go easy the first few classes. Don't try to keep up to their speed and adjust the resistance as needed to make it through the class.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ooh dont be terriefied! its alot of fun! like everything else, you will want to die while in class, but then youll grow to love it if u have the right instructor. my current instructor really sucks so i dont take it anymore. but lots of fun!!
  • Whiskeygirl12
    Options
    I spin 4 days a week and i love it. I bought a padded seat at Walmart for $20 which helps alot. Also, don't forget a water bottle because you will need one. If you keep doing it you will come to love it and your butt will not hurt!!! It is my favorite class at the gym
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Spin is a fantastic class! It torches calories, they play upbeat music. Yes, there will be some soreness the first couple of classes but it goes away pretty quickly. Have fun!!
  • KeriAnn06
    KeriAnn06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Spin is actually quite easy because you have control over how hard you work. I would let the instructor know that you're new as well! If they want you to turn up the tension and it's too much for you then there is no shame in that! If they're standing and you want to be sitting then just sit down. I will warn you, the seat takes some getting used to and you may be a bit sore for a few days afterwards! Lol. But it's fun and enjoyable so I wouldn't stress much about it! Like I said, take it at your own pace and don't worry about anyone else around you. Get the best workout you can for your fitness level!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do your best, and FORGET THE REST!!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Spinning rocks.

Don't wear long pants, they can get caught on the pedals.

You control the tension of the bike and nobody else can tell how hard you are working (if you are worried about keeping up).

Enjoy the burn, spinning makes my legs look fab :)
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You will do fine! I'm an instructor and trust me, there are all ages, sizes, and fitness levels in class. Bring a water bottle and a towel, and get after it! :) You can take breaks anytime, just sit down and pedal till you recover enough to jump back in. Don't worry about people judging, just do your thing. I bet you will surprise yourself! I never understood why people are so intimidated by spinning in particular. Things like step class are so much more difficult to master!

Your butt will be sore for a few days afterwards, but if you do spin regularly, that goes away after a few weeks. Let us know how you do. Watch out, you might get hooked! ;)
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    woah I didn't expect that much support! You guys are fantastic, thank you!

I willgo early and say hi, and get the bike set up right for me - thank you! lots of water and butt ache.

I feel positively empowered... well... for now! But I'm NOT going to cancel it now!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine!

The good thing about spin is it is interval training so you know if you're going through a particularly tough track, you'll get some form of cool down after. It is not easy at all but the pace and the music and the instructor make it so much fun and a 50 min class for me goes by in a flash!

Also, if you are finding it difficult, you know you can set your bike resistance so it suits you, especially for the first time :)

Good luck, it's addictive!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Work at your own level but try to push yourself. The time actually ends up going by pretty fast and when it's over you'll feel amazing! Take plenty of water, you'll need it.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You can do it....It's fun. It's a lot of work but you will do just fine. It's a great sense of accomplishment and a great burn. Don't let inexperience keep you from trying something new. :)
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    do it! It's like being in a night club! almost as much fun without the hangover. yes your backside will be sore and your lungs might burn (first class I did after xmas break and it was HARD) but you will feel greeeeaaat afterwards! Get set up properly and keep drinking water and go at your own pace but do push yourself a little too.

(is that upbeat enough for you? ;)