Heel pain/Plantar Fasciitis - Home cure suggestions

Options

Replies

• skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    This couldn't have come at a better time for me...I just found out that I have it Friday in both feet (worse in the left foot). Looks like I will have to suck it up and get both better shoes and better insoles (the Rite Aid ones help, but not enough arch support) and start stretching/massaging. Let's just hope that the prescription naprosyn helps with the inflammation...

And it sounds like no hard core physical activity (read: kickboxing) until the pain dies down.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have active Plantar Fascitis and my doctor has me on Anti-Inflammatory's and is telling me to use a baseball or something round that is hard like a baseball and to roll the entire bottom of your foot on it with a great deal of pressure to work out the stresses. Also stretching helps a lot. You can look up foot stretches regarding PF on google. [Also, doc said golf ball is too small to affect the right sized area, so to use something similar to the size of a baseball]

Also, she recommended getting properly fitted at a shoe store (like the Running Room or a shoe store for runners) and explain to them your condition and they can help you chose out the best curved, wide and thick insoles for your shoes (or new shoes all together).

Hope that helps!! [But I know how much it hurts to wake up and step down onto hard floor... ugh. I can't wait for it to be gone!]
  • Drewillbeback111
    Options
    My doctor says to stretch daily
  • krickan03
    krickan03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here are a few suggestions. Stretch and stretch often. Stretch your calfs. Perform exercises to increase strength of your intrinic foot muscles including towel scrunches with your toes or picking up small objects with your toes. Massage the bottom of your foot throughout the entire arch and heel region. Also rolling a golf ball or frozen waterbottle under your foot works well too. Also, very important, wear shoes with good arch supports or add a firm arch support to your shoes! Hope this helps!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    my mom wears a brace at night and it helps her a lot.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had it years ago and now it is back for me too. Great thread. I'm going to try the frozen water bottle. The problem I have now is from limping from my right heel problem, now my left knee hurts. I don't walk, I wobble. :( Maybe icing my knee will help too??
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    ****bump my son has this issue.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Get orthotics for your shoes. Superfeet are good. They are available at most running stores. And, stretch, stretch, stretch the bottom of your feet. I like to sit down on my knees, with my toes on the floor and the bottom of my feet pointing backwards toward the wall behind me -- best sole stretch you can get.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good gym shoes fixed my problem... I even wore them to work for 2 weeks.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem last year. I stayed away from the gym for a little while and then went to a specialty running store and got fitted for an awesome pair of new gym shoes. My feet felt a billion times better, and I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!

this! New shoes made the world of difference to me. After about 8 months of wearing my gym shoes and sandals with arch support, I can now go back and wear my other shoes occasionally without pain. I have noticed that if I wear my regular shoes too much then I start to have some flare ups so I just go back to my good shoes. Good, quality shoes are a must!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got the Dr.Scholl (sp?) insoles which helped some. But when I got good tennis shoes and quit wearing flip flips and going barefoot it improved dramatically. Still had a little pain for awhile but it hasn't flared up for a long time. Good luck!
  • ccostagliola
    ccostagliola Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from Plantar Fascitis. I make sure to stretch before getting out of bed in the a.m. I also wear Birkenstock shoes most of the time. These shoes mold to your foot and take some of the pressure off your heels. I stay away from totally flat shoes, slippers, etc. because they have no support and tend to irritate it more.
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks everyone for the info.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I had this condition for a few years in my late 30s and early 40s. I even developed heel spurs. However, since wearing Merrill shoes, I no longer have that issue. Do some research and find some shoes that will work for you. I tried all the home remedies and special orthotics. You really just need good footwear. Now that I have lost weight, I can wear other shoes without any problems and my feet haven't hurt in about 5 years.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to have a handicapped parking spot because of it. I got a lot of good info from www.heelspurs.com. I changed my shoes to birkenstocks, due to the high arch support. 10 years later I still wear birks 90% of the time. If I wear other shoes & my feet start hurting again, switch back to the birks. #1 help is to do foot stretch exercises before you get out of bed every morning. Essentially, you re-injure yourself every time you step on it, which is why it hurts the worst after you haven't been on your feet a while. Do some ankle circles, or spell out your name or the alphabet with your feet. Pretend you have a pen in your toes and write your name. It will stretch the muscles & then when you get up yo won't re-tear it.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My mom stretched it, iced it, and rolled it on a golf ball.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had this as well, I went to 2 Foot Drs. I Did Most of the Above, the end result for me was Surgery about 3 weeks ago, The One and only thing that really helped me was a ($10.00 pair of Struts) My Daughter bought at Walmart in the only as seen on T.V. Section, I Suggest you Invest in some Really Good Shoes........Also I feel I should Tell you that I let this Hinder all My Hard work and Really just Gave up on all Exercise and Diet, So Now I'm Back to Below Zero on my ticker. I hope this Helps.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read for husband...
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You should probably see a doctor (preferably a Sports Medicine Podiatrist, I got lucky and found one easily). They can take X-rays and verify that your problem is Plantar Fasciitis. I say this primarily becasue I once posted a big long advice thread telling someone they almost certainly had PF, and it turned out to to be an Achilles problem :blushing: The doctor may recommend the Cortisone shot, but you don't have to take it if you don't want to. Mine told me that the shot would likely hurt more than the PF, and it probably wasn't worth it unless the PF was really bad.

If you absolutely cannot go to a doctor, then here's some non-medical advice. PF hurts in the heel, and feels like something is digging into the inside of the foot. The pain is worst first thing in the morning, after the Plantar Fascia has been stiffening all night. Similarly, it hurts more after you've been sitting for a while (though usually not as much as first thing in the morning). Walking or running makes it *feel* better in the short term, but actually make it worse and the pain will come back. The disorder is caused by your foot (your arch specifically) spreading out on impact with the ground, forcing the connective tissue between the front of your foot and your heel (the Plantar Fascia) to stretch more than it is capable of. This causes it separate from your heel and hurt like hell.

Things like frozen golf balls or water bottles, NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs like Asprin or Tylenol), and stretching the calves before getting out of bed can make it hurt less, but don't actually address the root problem. Sometimes rest will take care of the root problem, but not always. I'd recommend arch supporting insoles like Power Steps or Super Feet. These support your arch and prevent your foot from spreading out. This treats the root of the problem. For a long time after I first got PF I wore these insoles in all of my shoes, but these days I find it's enough to just wear them in my running shoes. A Podiatrist can also prescribe custom insoles. These are very expensive ($450 was what I was quoted), but my doc said they were probably not necessary for most cases. Some people need them though. By all means use the golf balls, water bottles, and NSAIDs if you need to, they won't make the problem worse and make you feel better.