Desk Job

Options

Replies

• chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    get some ankle weights and do some leg extensions under the table...both legs together...one leg, other leg...both legs etc ...it's what I do in lessons !

That's intelligent!!! :wink:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search. The following ideas I found from the Livestrong website. It's true, as some have said, you won't get a killer workout at your desk, but if you're trying to get a little more activity in your day, maybe some of these will help. If not...then I guess just workout before or after work. Good luck.

Glute Clenches
    Glute clenches will help improve the tone and shape of your butt even while you sit at your desk. Simply squeeze your glutes as tight as you can. Hold the squeeze for two seconds, relax then repeat the squeeze. Complete these 20 short clenches -- and then clench and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat the sequence several times throughout the day.

Stomach Vaccuum
    This exercise will help you discretely strengthen and condition your abdominal muscles. Sit in your chair with your back straight. Hollow your stomach by pulling your belly button toward your spine as far as possible. Maintain this position for five to 10 seconds, breathing normally throughout the exercise. Repeat 10 to 15 times.

Knee Lifts
    Knee lifts also target the abdominal muscles as well as the hip flexors. Sit in your chair with your stomach muscles stabilized and your back straight. Maintaining this position, lift your right knee 4 inches. Concentrate on using your abdomen for the movement. Slowly lower your leg and repeat with your left knee. Continue to alternate legs moving in a slow controlled fashion until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts with each leg.

Leg Flexion
    Leg flexion allows you to discretely work your hamstring muscles on the back of your thigh. Sit in your chair with your knees bent to 90 degrees and your feet flat on the floor. Press your right foot into the floor while contracting your hamstrings as if you were drawing your heel toward your butt, except your foot maintains its position on the floor. Hold the contraction for 30 seconds then repeat the exercise with your left leg.

Foot Rock
    This exercise works the muscles of the lower leg, particularly the triceps surae and tibialis anterior. While sitting tall in your chair, position your legs to 90 degrees and place your feet flat on the floor. Press the balls of your feet into the floor to lift your heels as high as possible. Squeeze your calves at the top of the movement. Lower your heels back to the floor and immediately lift your toes 1 to 2 inches off the floor so that the muscle on the front of your shin is fully contracted. Lower your toes back to the floor. Continue to "rock" your feet back and forth until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts to the front and back.

Arm Press
    This exercise targets the triceps muscles on the back of the upper arm. Rest your forearms on your desk so that your arms are bent to 90 degrees. Sit tall and stabilize your abdomen. Maintain this position and press your forearms into the top of your desk as if you were straightening your elbows. Hold this position for 30 seconds then relax. Next, place your arms beneath your desk with your palms up. Press your arms into the desk to contract your biceps and hold for 30 seconds before relaxing.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/513012-discrete-exercises-you-can-do-sitting-in-a-chair/#ixzz2HJ1lGVBn

having a go at some of these now haha
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can do dips using your chair. This will help build toned arms and tri's.
    As everyone else recommended, try walking around as much as possible.

What are dips?
  • crgoakleaf
    crgoakleaf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need to work on my arms; what are dips?
  • Fox_n_sox
    Options
    I have a desk job and it's not really acceptable to take a lunch break,

That's unusual.

I don't really get a lunch to myself either. Unless I physically leave the building in my car I have to sit at my desk and constantly answer the phones.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have a distinctive lack of trust when it comes to people in this business complex and their behavior in regards to my Harley, so I pay her multiple visits during the day.

I make a lap around my floor before I go and take the stairs down from the 4th floor to the parking garage and to the farthest corner where I park.

It gets me away from my desk for about 15 minutes, I drink water while I walk, and it's an added layer of exercise I wouldn't have otherwise.

Anything to keep moving.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Use some of the quality time with your daughter to squeeze in some exercise in the evenings and on weekends--pop her into a stroller and go for a walk, or go to the park and play!
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need to work on my arms; what are dips?
    stand with your back facing your desk
    plant your palms on the desk
    step your feet away from desk a bit
    bend your knees like your gonna sit down on thin air
    let your arms / hands hold your weight
    dip your body down using only your triceps
    push back up with your triceps
    :happy: and repeat
  • Fox_n_sox
    Options
    Use some of the quality time with your daughter to squeeze in some exercise in the evenings and on weekends--pop her into a stroller and go for a walk, or go to the park and play!

I do go on a walk with her, I am usually pulling her in a wagon. SO I get that out, but I work from 7:30 am to 4pm. And by the time I pick her up from day care ( I am up around 5:45 am to get ready for the day) it's about 4:30, home by 5. I need to make her dinner & set her clothes out & stuff for bed time so my mom can get her ready for bed. I leave My house at 6pm to go to class at 630, There is some place that I can walk alot, and park far away, and I am in class until 10:30. And Friday is no school so I do a small workout there ( Walking with the baby) and then Saturday/Sunday ( 1 day is devoted to getting house work done) And the other day I am normally playing with her outside, we have a trampoline, and I run around in the yard with her.

But If i'm sitting at a desk all day, why not incorporate something in that.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I am a receptionist. I am trying to find some exercises I can do at my desk that aren't "Jumping jacks, push ups etc" I need chair exercises.

Many of us has desk jobs. Don't need to exercise at work. Just get up periodically, walk around. Take the stairs when possible. Part far away. Walk during lunch. Many things you can do without resorting to working out sitting at your desk.

^^ This

I checked out a book at the library one time about how to exercise from your chair. In the end I decided that taking the stairs and intentionally walking would be more beneficial.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I am a receptionist. I am trying to find some exercises I can do at my desk that aren't "Jumping jacks, push ups etc" I need chair exercises.

Many of us has desk jobs. Don't need to exercise at work. Just get up periodically, walk around. Take the stairs when possible. Part far away. Walk during lunch. Many things you can do without resorting to working out sitting at your desk.

^^^This...stand, move around, take a walk on your break. But most importantly - get a good work out in before or after work!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's unusual.

I don't really get a lunch to myself either. Unless I physically leave the building in my car I have to sit at my desk and constantly answer the phones.

I've never heard of an employer not allowing a lunch break. I'd find a new job if that were the case. Most employers will offer at least 30 minutes for lunch and sometimes a couple of 10-15 minute breaks too.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Ok, might be corny, but have you seen those little peddles that fit under a desk? Maybe that would help! I've also heard of people replacing their chair with a balance ball!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too and while I work from home; I haven't always and I have a step under my desk...you can turn it two directions. You can step you toes down or your heels. A nurse friend of mine bought it for me for when I was working in the market room and couldn't take anything but bathroom breaks (lunch breaks were not allowed); so I sat at my desk from ~6:30am to 5pm daily. You can find them at a Physical Therapy store or online.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Simple deck jockey by day.... HERO by night!
  • dadirtydawg
    Options
    Hi, I have arthritis so sitting is alot of what I have to do. I have found chair dancing a great exercise. It gets my heart rate up and I can do it sitting here in front of the computer. If you do a chair dancing search, there are alot of options. I have been doing pauleugene.com. You dont have to buy the videos because he has a lot of short ones on his site.
  • kristinarussell7
    kristinarussell7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Take a walk at lunch. Make time to get up every hour and do a quick walk (even just to the bathroom). But most of all, don't snack at work... thats my problem. If I'm not BUSY, BUSY, BUSY... i find myself wanting to hit up the Vending machine... YUCK!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    What about getting up even 30 minutes earlier to do some at home work outs (jumping jacks, squats, crunches, lunges etc.)

When you go to the bathroom, pick the largest stall. Do standing oblique crunches, squats or something.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options

That's unusual.

Same here. I work at the front desk at a hotel and we dont get breaks.
  • charaxid
    Options
    I have a desk job as well... i work 8-5 every day, and we can't leave the building during lunch...

My chair has arms (not sure if yours does), so each hour on the hour I put my hands on the arms, with my fingers facing forward and lift my body 20 times (lift all the way up until your arms are straight, lower back down until you are seated). I keep my abs engaged so my legs are lifted as well, but you might need to work up to this...
    Then I turn my arms so my fingers go towards me & elbows go out away from me & do it again 20 times.

EVERY HOUR.

You could also sit straight & lift one leg at a time a couple inches off the chair & hold it for 2 seconds, then alternate. Each leg is 40 times. I do this once an hour, on the half.

So chair raises at 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, and 4... leg raises at 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, and 4:30

Each morning I wake up at 5:45 and do exercises... crunches with my legs raised, 100 jumping jacks, 50 squats, 25 squats/lunges to each side... then I get in my car at 6:15, arrive at the gym when they open at 6:30 and complete 30 minutes of cardio as well (walking outside or on a track, elliptical, tredmill w/ an incline.... what ever I feel like doing that day.

Each evening I pop in a work out dvd (varies from pilates, yoga, turbo jam, turbo fire, P90x, Insanity, Carmen Electra, or a couple Tony Horton 10 minute sessions), I go swim at my gym or use their weight machines, or I follow one of the work outs from Tone It Up (toneitup.com)... I get bored doing the same thing every day, so I switch up the evenings.