Heel pain/Plantar Fasciitis - Home cure suggestions

Options

Replies

• newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I didn't give any of the stretches or exercises much of a try... I did order orthotics through my doctor, which were fairly expensive, but they did the trick. When I'm wearing them, I have no pain. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Golf ball under the sole and roll it daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I have feet problems, no doubt brought on by weight. I would try the ice bottle, I swear by my night brace, which you can get at most any drugstore or you can get more choices at a medical supply store. I wear mine nightly because I have other issues too and by the next morning my feet are great.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Stretch your calf and soleus muscle daily.
    Sleep with a night splint.
    Roll the bottom of your foot hard on a golf ball several times a day. (it should hurt)
    Roll the bottom of your foot on a frozen bottle of water several times a day.

If you aggessively treat it early there is a good chance you can cure it within a few weeks. Without treatment it could be around for a long time.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    I used Dr. Scholl's Heel Pain Relief that I bought at Walgreens. I noticed a difference in the pain within a couple of days. I've worn them for almost 2 months now and am completely pain free. It's not an overnight solution, but it does help.

Good Luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Cortisone didn't even work for me.

- Rolling it on a hard ball (I like the hard rubber dog toys more than a golf ball)
    - Stretching WARM. Apply heat and then do it. Ankle bend, toe stretch, and foot grabs.
    - Night splint was not very helpful, but I still do it because it hurts a little less in the morning
    - Immobilization boot - worked for 2 days.
    - Ice it after running by rolling it on a frozen water bottle, then apply heat.
    - Changed my running shoes to ones with more arch support and a gel heal insert. (Sketchers with the cantilever spring sole.) I also used Mizuno and Saucony hurricanes and will for the longer races because of the larger toe box.
    - Cross train more on the bike, rollerblading and ice skating.
    - Had PT with ultrasound and that helped, but I like the hot tub much better.
    - There is a specialized compression sock just for PF, and I like that.
    - There are some other socks that help some folks.
    - Chiropractic
    - Kinseo taping
    - Custom insoles
    - NSAIDs like Motrin

It has been 7 years for me. Cold makes it worse, heat makes it better. I am considering platelet replacement therapy, but it's $900.

Good luck.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice so far. I just wanted to add that whenever I start wearing an insole, my feet hurt worse for a day or two. My doctor warned me, otherwise I would have quit wearing it.

I have had pain for 12 months. I just manage it, but I've continued to increase my activity and the pain isn't getting worse. It hurts on the days I am inactive too, so I would suggest you don't let it prevent you from being active....take it slow and build it up.

Good luck.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor. PF is not something to mess around with. If you don't treat it properly it can get so bad that you'll need surgery.

Also don't do any impact exercises until it is healed. My husband had PF and it took over a year for it to properly heal
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    the ball rolling worked for me, so did the Dr Scholl's PF insoles, I think they were 7-8 bucks. buy two pair.
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There is lots of good advice in this thread. I had issues with PF two years ago. KT tape (www.kttape .com) , rolling on a frozen water bottle, using a foam roller on my calves, and monthly massages worked for me. My PF seems to be primarily triggered by tight calves. As long as I stretch them sufficiently and get a massage every month or so I have no issues.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have this problem currently and it kicked off although I was wearing custom made insoles. I found that getting a roller (In the UK they sell these in Boots) but running stores and pharmacies should carry them or as suggested a golf ball may do the trick.

After a good hike or run I'll stretch out my foot on the roller, it has made a huge difference, now the pain doesn't last all day. I also try and do the roll stretch most mornings.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't have any tips.. I've been dealing with this myself for going on 1.5 years. Do have a comment re: the shot though. It was SUPER painful and I couldn't walk for a day after I got it. But then it was pure bliss for about 3 months. It has worn off now sadly and the pain has returned, though not as bad because I got some insoles. Hoping to get custom orthotics one of these days..
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I've been having heel pain for a couple of weeks now. Hard to walk with it. I'm pretty sure that it is Plantar Fasciitis.

Trying to avoid going to the doctor and getting Shatnerarianly pain cortisone shot.

What have you all done to get your feet to feel better?

Thanks!
    One of the mistakes a lot of us make is wearing our "gym" shoes for too long. After 4 to 6 months of wear, chuck them, buy a new pair. Even the best shoes need to be replaced frequently!!! (my personal favorite SAS shoes made in San Antonio)
    Most advice very good to excellent here; exercises, stretching, orthotics, pliates, ice, rest, rolling. I'd only add...keep going so as not to lose all your fitness gains (if nothing is broken) the K-TAPE is quite nice to keep you in the game.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options

This^^^ combined with the other consistentadvice above. Roll it and stetch as much as you can. Deep tissue massage into the heel and the Stassburg Sock, especially on nights after a longer run, helps a lot!

Good luck!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I finally was able to get an appointment, the severe pain had worn down and so I didn't need to get a shot. The FIRST thing to do is go get fit for proper running shoes and inserts (whatever they suggest) and wear them ALL THE TIME whenever you're on your feet. A nighttime brace is helpful to begin stretching out the muscles in your feet (instead of them tightening overnight), and the Dr. suggested that I take ibuprofen or some kind of over the counter anti-inflammatory. The last thing I had to do was get a "spikey" (or whatever it's called) rolling ball from the running store. Used it often to massage the muscles in my foot. It took me about a year to fully get over it (& I still have to be aware of it and massage it and take ibuprofen on & off to keep it in check). Good luck.
    Hi Folks,

I've been having heel pain for a couple of weeks now. Hard to walk with it. I'm pretty sure that it is Plantar Fasciitis.

Trying to avoid going to the doctor and getting Shatnerarianly pain cortisone shot.

What have you all done to get your feet to feel better?

Thanks!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    To my dearest fellow MFPers,

You are all that and a bag of low fat chips/crisps. I appeciate every one of your responses.

I will trying the all the non doctor stuff for about 10 days and if I don't see improvement, I'll put on my big girl panties and see the primary care doctor for a referral to a foot doc.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had it years ago and now it is back for me too. Great thread. I'm going to try the frozen water bottle. The problem I have now is from limping from my right heel problem, now my left knee hurts. I don't walk, I wobble. :( Maybe icing my knee will help too??

The same thing is happening to me! I have it in my left foot...I have done all the things people have posted here plus a cortisone shot. Nothing helps. Now my right knee is starting to hurt! Oy!
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, might want to wear some heels (silly as it is) it also helped my feet - it changes the pressure on the tendon. By heel I mean an inch or two - not stilletos. My podiatrist actually told me to wear heels and NOT to wear dress flats (pretty much ever . That being said, reasonable heels.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with the same type of pain for 8 months - trained for a half marathon, and the infamous Falmouth road race. It wasn't until I went to disney in Sept that the pain got so bad that I decided to go to a foot doctor and I ended up having a plantars wart and had to have it removed. My advise would be to go the doctor, esp if you are unsure of what the issue really is and have it looked at.

Good luck to you!