Lean Body Mass and Protein

Options
I have heard so many people explain about how important it is to eat enough protein to keep your lean body mass while losing weight. My question is, if you eat a good amount of protein while losing slowly, above BMR but below TDEE, but do not exercise will you still preserve your lean body mass? I know I should be working out and have a desire to but for some reason haven't followed through consistently. I lost 4 pounds in November and 4 pounds in December just keeping track of my calories and walking occasionally. I am happy as my goal per month was 4 pounds but am afraid that even though I'm losing slowly and eating heathy that I will still lose muscle. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many people explain about how important it is to eat enough protein to keep your lean body mass while losing weight. My question is, if you eat a good amount of protein while losing slowly, above BMR but below TDEE, but do not exercise will you still preserve your lean body mass?

I doubt you would preserve LBM in the absence of stimulus. I would speculate that the more obese you are the better you would likely retain LBM though.

Any info would be appreciated.

Why are you having problems sticking to training?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, even without muscle stimulation, high protein intake is muscle sparing. I remember reading it from a doctor who talked about the IV protein they give to patients in comas.

However, muscle stimulus will help even more.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Muscle shrinks with disuse. I assume this means its volume AND weight decrease. If you're not being active, you're losing LBM anyways.
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I know I have to make the exercise happen. I actually am alot more active in the warmer months but know I can't just waste the winter months away not doing anything. I have a goal of losing 20 more pounds. If I continue to lose 4 pounds a month then it will take until about summertime to lose it but don't want to get there and lose the lbm I have. I have to dig down deep and make it happen and not let the winter blahs get to me.