Biggest Loser - on last night

Options
Did anyone watch it? Thoughts?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Was it any different to normal? If so I might try to catch up.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I do not watch it regularly but my general thoughts are that it is good for (subjectively, of course):

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

And it is absolutely AWFUL for:

3) Information
    4) Anything resembling reality as it pertains to expectations

and my belief is that the bad can outweigh the good unless the viewer separate the above lists.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I lost interest in the show a long time ago. It started becoming a promo stage for ziploc bags and sugar-free gum. Plus, being on a 9 EST doesn't bode well considering I got to bed at 9:30 and don't have a DVR.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I do not watch it regularly but my general thoughts are that it is good for (subjectively, of course):

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

3) Information

and my belief is that the bad can outweigh the good unless the viewer separate the above lists.

Agreed. We caught a clip last night while channel surfing and I wonder if this show is one of the reasons why so many people have wrong/bad/strange ideas about dieting and getting "healthy." They really should make a commitment to getting real information to the masses through the show.
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The contestants Shirts are a little different. Jillian was especially vicious and made a ton of people pass out. I love her but I'm super glad that I just have her DVD's in which she isn't so mean.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't like the expectations it sets for people. What I do like is that it shows people over the season that it is possible. that it can be done. When I was at my worst, it was inspiring to see people you felt you connected with making that change.

Seeing someone who has already lost the weight, you disconnect from them. They aren''t like you. They used to be, but you don't relate as well when you feel hopeless.

You feel like you relate to them in the beginning when they are so big, and that makes the transformation hit home more.

Now, if they would stress more that you shouldn't lose that much, that fast IRL, it would be better.

But for a lot of people, just seeing that it can happen to someone they relate with is vitally important.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

3) Information

As usual, SS hit the nail on the head. Exactly what he said. But damn you to all my East Coaster people on my FL. You people and your spoiler statuses! :angry:
  • Punisher1130
    Punisher1130 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

3) Information

I watch it for 1 & 2 and as usual...great post SS
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The contestants Shirts are a little different. Jillian was especially vicious and made a ton of people pass out. I love her but I'm super glad that I just have her DVD's in which she isn't so mean.

Yes! Jillian was scary! LOL I def agree that it really is just for entertainment vs. helpful info, I hate how they make the contestants pass out on day one. It's not a real great way to start an exercise plan, I know it's a TV show and all, but people watching from home might think "oh I could never do that" and then not even try, when really exercise should be gradual building up. vs passing out day one.
  • devynmariee
    Options
    There was so many people wiping out and puking! its a very motivational show! Poor Ct though I definitely thought he should of stayed! white team is already down 2 people now.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Jilian is a beast! I need an audio of her screaming like that on my phone to keep me going in the gym
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't normally watch the show but I watched it last night. It was weird! People were losing between 10 and 30 lbs just in the first week! And the ones who didn't lose at least 20 were DISAPPOINTED! Talk about strange and unrealistic expectations...
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: When Biggest Loser first started it was a great show for info, showing different excercises you can do at home, what foods to eat & quantity but as the years have gone on it has become way to commercialized for me. Plus what people watching don't understand is that these people are at the Ranch for 8 months & strictly regulated with excercise & eating so of course anyone can lose weight that way! I just take it for what it is:ohwell:
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I Love it
  • FitGoal165
    Options

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

3) Information

^^ This. I tuned in last night. A man that weighed 300-something pounds lost 20 pounds in a week...and was told that he would have "pulled a higher number". That just seems wrong.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know why I quit watching last year. I am disappointing with my 3 pound loss for the week after seeing their numbers last night. I have to keep reminding myself, I am not on the ranch with trainers, and I live in the real world with real goals. Not everyone can lose 100 pounds in 8 weeks.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

1) Entertainment
    2) Motivation

3) Information

I think 3 & 4 could appy to any reality show. People need to realize reality tv is not reality and usually just cheap entertainment for the studio to produce.

I stopped watching several seasons ago. The first few seasons seemed much more informative and, as someone already said, it became an advert for whoever was giving them money.
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten into this show but I know people love it. I don't really want to be bullied into getting fit but I guess it works for some. I loved Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition because of it's encouraging nature but there was still accountability. I miss that show!
  • Khittle123
    Khittle123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't mind it.I actually know one of the contestants so I mainly watched it for that and inspiration for my weight loss journey. I think they have good intentions when it comes to promoting healthy eating, childhood obesity and so forth. I like they have a no excuse approach as well. But I also understand that a lot of it is entertainment value.
    I don't like the fact that they count fruits and veggies into calories. I think the nutritional value that comes with them out weigh their caloric value.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Did anyone watch it? Thoughts?

It upped the awfulness. That red line thingy? Sure that won't cause them to undereat and dehydrate even more. The douchey hipster Bob? Obviously the fatty who only lost 9 lbs didn't work hard enough. How much did they talk about diet or show anything about what they ate, oh yeah zilch