Girls, I need some advice!

Options
How do you keep your hands out of the cookie jar during that wonderful time of the month?
I will be doing so good all month, then a day before, boom!, I must have chocolate, cookies, cake, chips, ect..
I feel like crap because I indulge for about three days as my hormones go crazy, and then it take a day or two to get myself back on track.

Do y'all have the same problem? If so, do you have any tricks to keeps those fingers out of the cookie jar? lol Thankx!

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    How does the cookie jar keep getting re-filled?
  • ninavivi
    ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    good point Spade117.

you can eat some of it, just do it in portions.
  • simplyk8
    simplyk8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I understand this.

I don't get a PMS sweet tooth, but a day or two before my period I have a hard time eating anything that isn't nailed down. I plan for it, and try to be more forgiving of myself when I inevitably eat more than I should. I keep healthy snacks (fruits and veggies) on hand, and eat often to keep from getting to the "so ravenous I don't care if it's junk" phase. Also, if you know you're gonna go nuts for a few days, increase workouts on those day to counteract the extra calories, and the likely added moody/crankiness which also leads to overeating. Good luck!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Let yourself have a little bit of whatever you are craving. It won't hurt and it will keep that craving monster at bay. I know that for me, I turn into a vacuum cleaner. I suddenly start feeling like I am starving and can't get enough. One thing I do during those days.... I don't go food shopping and I don't go out to eat. a bag of chips can't jump into my cart if I am not there for it to, lol.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    JM would call bullshlt. Ha ha
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do not have a cookie jar... I cannot crave what I do not have.

If there is a reason there must be cookies in the house, just have one and control yourself. You are controlling your eat habits, time of the month is just an excuse.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

There is no logic during shark week.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself to have small portions of chocolate, which is what I usually crave. If I don't, my mood swings become ten times worse. If you are feeling guilty after eating these things, try doing an extra 15-20 minutes at the gym. I usually try to do that as well if I've overindulged, or eaten something "bad". This way, once all the bloat is gone the extra weight is gone too :)
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Actually for me it is fairly easy. I dont have the sweet tooth during before or after. I just dont want to eat at all.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I either eat the cookies

or murder my family

when Uncle ToM and Aunt flo come to visit.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    noooooooooooooooooo not another TOM post, My head is going to explode!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your hands out of the cookie jar during that wonderful time of the month?
    I will be doing so good all month, then a day before, boom!, I must have chocolate, cookies, cake, chips, ect..
    I feel like crap because I indulge for about three days as my hormones go crazy, and then it take a day or two to get myself back on track.

Do y'all have the same problem? If so, do you have any tricks to keeps those fingers out of the cookie jar? lol Thankx!
    I don't keep anything like that in the house.

I have cravings, but if I actually have to leave my house to satisfy them, they don't get satisfied and then they fade.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    a cup of hot tea and then i allow myself 2-3 biscuits.:smile:

its summer here and there's such wonderful fruit in season, i;ve been gorging on watermelon which totally kicks my sweet tooth. delish and super low in cals!
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yup -- if you can avoid even having those foods around it helps. Your body is craving protein and fat and iron and nutrients it's losing at that time of the month -- so feed it "good" versions of those things,like salmon, greens, berries, nuts... Maybe taking a multivitamin will help some?

The idea to exercise more is good too -- if you do end up eating the bad stuff, working it off is the best plan, and exercise can help other TOM issues too like bloat, aches, etc.
  • BellaMaria85
    BellaMaria85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Haha, great question. I try the big WW fudge bars or dark chocolate and almonds. Anything with a chocolate or sweet flavor helps as long as you look at the portions.
  • ShanImogen
    Options
    I do not have a cookie jar... I cannot crave what I do not have.

If there is a reason there must be cookies in the house, just have one and control yourself. You are controlling your eat habits, time of the month is just an excuse.

See now I personally disagree with this. I do not have a cookie jar or snack jar or anything either, but as soon as it's THAT time, I get very emotionally distressed and sick if I do not have some of what my body is craving. It actually makes me feel physically ill and despite the numerous different techniques I have tried, nothing works apart from walking to the nearest shop and buying what I want to munch on! I just have it in small portions over the days and my weight has never really been affected :) xx
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

There is no logic during shark week.

^^^ This.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    even the things i dont particularly like when its that time , i eat , specially if sweet :(
  • Moka_Lady
    Options
    Your body might be looking for various nutrients. Try adding a multivitamin to your diet. =)
  • territurner908347
    Options
    As I am going through this RIGHT NOW, I feel your pain.

I don't even realize what it going on and then bam! I need chocolate. I had cleared out everything to avoid any "binges" but then, suddenly, out of nowhere, that box of After Eight Dinner Mints appeared as I was packing away some wrapping supplies. I had bought it for a gift and forgotten it during Christmas. So...I ate THREE. Less than a "serving" and I paired it with some coffee to give me a nice treat.

Normally, I would have eaten a batch of brownies with a large glass of milk, so I fell that moderation is helping me. lol

Now, to get rid of the evil crampies!