Home Stomach Pump

Options
Just when I thought things could not become any more absurd....

Eat, drink and pump it out: new weight loss gadget sucks food straight out of the stomach
Who would have thought that the future of weight loss might lie in the hands of the inventor of the Segway? Dean Kamen, creator of the two-wheeled wonder, along with a team from Aspire Bariatrics, of Philadelphia, has applied for a patent for a pump that can suck food and drink straight out of the stomach.

Users are able to stuff their face before draining their stomach by connecting the pump to a valve surgically installed in their abdominal wall. The makers hope to use it to treat the morbidly obese, and to provide an alternative to a gastric bypass.

Initial setbacks – and here's the really yucky part – have occurred because the pump struggles to break up large foods. One patient reported "clogging" and had to avoid eating cauliflower, broccoli, Chinese food, stir fry, snow peas, pretzels, chips and steak. No chips? It will never catch on.
GILLIAN ORR
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/eat-drink-and-pump-it-out-new-weight-loss-gadget-sucks-food-straight-out-of-the-stomach-8440201.html

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wow ..I've heard it all now :noway:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's more disgusting than those women walking around with a feeding tube up their nose!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a recipe for bulimia if i've ever heard one
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Disgusting and insane! I am baffled by anyone who would rather do this than learn to eat properly. People just want to be gluttons.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    That is truly disturbing!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Whoa.... So basically Bulimia....for people also too lazy to puke? LOL I dont get this.... healthyeating/diet and excercise.... is 99% of the populations recipe for weight loss. No gadget needed except maybe an excercise ball and some free weights (inserting sarcasm) This makes me sick. I have decided Dean Kamen is a lazy *kitten*! Stop inventing **** that causes people to become more lazy.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    S glad I wasn't about to eat when I read this, that's vile!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Users are able to stuff their face before draining their stomach by connecting the pump to a valve surgically installed in their abdominal wall. The makers hope to use it to treat the morbidly obese, and to provide an alternative to a gastric bypass.

IDK, it might be a good idea. I have seen g-tubes and what is pumped out of them, including the clogging. It's definitely an appetite suppressant. :sick:

And as an added bonus, you have that lovely g-tube on your belly to show off in your bikini after you lose the weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whoa.... So basically Bulimia....for people also too lazy to puke?

The difference would be the lack of damage to the esophagus from puking. As disgusting as it is, draining stomach contents via a g-tube is usually safe.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    wow, i though the belly band that shocks you to give you abs was bad
  • graciemom828
    Options
    That is horrendous. I have a dear friend who almost died due to a mishap in surgical procedure attempting to have a Lap-Band done this past summer. It never was accomplished and she was in the hospital most of the summer. Pretty scary stuff.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

lol, great perspective! Perfectly stated.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I used to actually joke about such a device....a PVC bypass valve to activate after a binge...and here it is...:huh:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I'd rather just do a Dr. Oz cleanse instead.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    realityslap_zpsa3938da2.jpg

(bleh ..... yet he'll probably rake in $$$$)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I'd rather just do a Dr. Oz cleanse instead.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I also just lost my appetite for the hot chocolate that is sitting in front of me.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    People with bulemia and anorexia probably wouldn't qualify to have the surgery to put the valve thing in the first place. But still pretty disturbing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad.