Desk Job

Options

Replies

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bumping for some good advice here. thanks everyone!
  • territurner908347
    Options
    BUMP!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I am a receptionist. I am trying to find some exercises I can do at my desk that aren't "Jumping jacks, push ups etc" I need chair exercises.

kegels
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When you go for a bathroom break take a couple minutes to do a set of squats, lunges or push ups with your hands on the counter. You could also do this while in the copy room or lunch room if you have one. You could also do calf raises or wall sits for 30 seconds to a minute.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You should get a ball to sit on!
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do you work 24/7? Why not just work out after or before work. Sitting on a ball all day isn't going to change your life.

^^^^^^^^^i agree with this post here
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    One thing my office does (as per my request) is a 3min stretch workout called Radio Taiso on youtube.

I get the majority of the office to join in, its very fun and its a good way to just move a little during the workday.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and it's not really acceptable to take a lunch break,

That's unusual.

I don't really get a lunch to myself either. Unless I physically leave the building in my car I have to sit at my desk and constantly answer the phones.

I've never heard of an employer not allowing a lunch break. I'd find a new job if that were the case. Most employers will offer at least 30 minutes for lunch and sometimes a couple of 10-15 minute breaks too.
    A lot of jobs dont allow breaks, its not always just as easy as "find a new one". I worked as a cashier and I rarely got a break, or when I was a waitress? breaks? What is that?
  • IndianCat3
    Options
    Sounds like a bunch of excuses to why you can't workout. There are plenty of programs that you can do at home, even with a 2 year old. you can workout when she takes a nap, you can get in some squats, some jump roping, some something..plenty of ppl find the time if its important to them. Im jus saying.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How about doing your job while seated at your desk and setting aside 25 mins before or after work for exercise? Or am i taking crazy again?
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dont mean to sound harsh but you have a million and 15 excuses! Your job is not stopping you from working out you are. Sorry great suggestions by everyone but the truth is you make time. Ask anyone here in order to exercise they make time . Everyone has jobs school life kids. My advice is quit making excuses and start making time for exercise!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here are some great exercises. Obviously some are not practical at all, but many are, and they will keep your joints loose enough during the day so you aren't achy after work...well, from sitting, I can't say anything about stress from the day. :tongue:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/stretching-exercises-at-your-desk-12-simple-tips?page=2

http://www.squidoo.com/desk-exercises
  • IndianCat3
    Options
    Dont mean to sound harsh but you have a million and 15 excuses! Your job is not stopping you from working out you are. Sorry great suggestions by everyone but the truth is you make time. Ask anyone here in order to exercise they make time . Everyone has jobs school life kids. My advice is quit making excuses and start making time for exercise!

amen to that!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Use some of the quality time with your daughter to squeeze in some exercise in the evenings and on weekends--pop her into a stroller and go for a walk, or go to the park and play!

I do go on a walk with her, I am usually pulling her in a wagon. SO I get that out, but I work from 7:30 am to 4pm. And by the time I pick her up from day care ( I am up around 5:45 am to get ready for the day) it's about 4:30, home by 5. I need to make her dinner & set her clothes out & stuff for bed time so my mom can get her ready for bed. I leave My house at 6pm to go to class at 630, There is some place that I can walk alot, and park far away, and I am in class until 10:30. And Friday is no school so I do a small workout there ( Walking with the baby) and then Saturday/Sunday ( 1 day is devoted to getting house work done) And the other day I am normally playing with her outside, we have a trampoline, and I run around in the yard with her.

But If i'm sitting at a desk all day, why not incorporate something in that.

Sounds like you've got time in the morning. If you normally get up at 5:45 get up at 5:00 or 5:15 - 30 to 45 minutes is a great amount of time for a good workout.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    To all of you saying that you're not allowed to have breaks, do you live in the US? If so, that is illegal and you need to contact your state's employment department.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Solution:
    ballchair.jpg

BALL CHAIR.
    I've been sitting on this puppy M-F, 8 hours every day for the past 2 years.
    My core is tighter, and you don't even feel like you're "exercising."
    When people leave the office, I head to Youtube and do exercises involving the ball.

I also have a drawer full of resistance bands that I'll play around with, I run up and down the stairs when I'm tired of sitting still, and I'll walk to go get lunch (weather permitting)

It's NOT impossible to find ways to exercise.
    Stop looking for excuses, and prove to yourself that you don't have to be lazy if you work at a desk job.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    First, I commend you for looking for something to do. Weight loss is probably 95% diet so even though you don't HAVE to workout, I think you're taking a good step in aknowledging it will help you to be healthier.

I like a lot of suggestions from folks here (try to stand up more often, walk around the building more often, more restroom trips, more trips getting water) and a lot of good strength training type stuff you can do (love the lifts on your chair arms, lunges and squats when you make trips to the bathroom).

I do think you could get away with a 20 minute workout video a couple times a week (maybe a dance one, then your 2 year old can join in as they get older etc). But sometimes you just have to aknowledge limitations. If you focus on eating right for your health now, and doing what you can do NOW, maybe you can do more later. I did the working full time/school thing myself and it did not leave a lot of time for much else. Now I run but there's no way I could have done that while in school. Good luck.
  • sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search. The following ideas I found from the Livestrong website. It's true, as some have said, you won't get a killer workout at your desk, but if you're trying to get a little more activity in your day, maybe some of these will help. If not...then I guess just workout before or after work. Good luck.

Glute Clenches
    Glute clenches will help improve the tone and shape of your butt even while you sit at your desk. Simply squeeze your glutes as tight as you can. Hold the squeeze for two seconds, relax then repeat the squeeze. Complete these 20 short clenches -- and then clench and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat the sequence several times throughout the day.

Stomach Vaccuum
    This exercise will help you discretely strengthen and condition your abdominal muscles. Sit in your chair with your back straight. Hollow your stomach by pulling your belly button toward your spine as far as possible. Maintain this position for five to 10 seconds, breathing normally throughout the exercise. Repeat 10 to 15 times.

Knee Lifts
    Knee lifts also target the abdominal muscles as well as the hip flexors. Sit in your chair with your stomach muscles stabilized and your back straight. Maintaining this position, lift your right knee 4 inches. Concentrate on using your abdomen for the movement. Slowly lower your leg and repeat with your left knee. Continue to alternate legs moving in a slow controlled fashion until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts with each leg.

Leg Flexion
    Leg flexion allows you to discretely work your hamstring muscles on the back of your thigh. Sit in your chair with your knees bent to 90 degrees and your feet flat on the floor. Press your right foot into the floor while contracting your hamstrings as if you were drawing your heel toward your butt, except your foot maintains its position on the floor. Hold the contraction for 30 seconds then repeat the exercise with your left leg.

Foot Rock
    This exercise works the muscles of the lower leg, particularly the triceps surae and tibialis anterior. While sitting tall in your chair, position your legs to 90 degrees and place your feet flat on the floor. Press the balls of your feet into the floor to lift your heels as high as possible. Squeeze your calves at the top of the movement. Lower your heels back to the floor and immediately lift your toes 1 to 2 inches off the floor so that the muscle on the front of your shin is fully contracted. Lower your toes back to the floor. Continue to "rock" your feet back and forth until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts to the front and back.

Arm Press
    This exercise targets the triceps muscles on the back of the upper arm. Rest your forearms on your desk so that your arms are bent to 90 degrees. Sit tall and stabilize your abdomen. Maintain this position and press your forearms into the top of your desk as if you were straightening your elbows. Hold this position for 30 seconds then relax. Next, place your arms beneath your desk with your palms up. Press your arms into the desk to contract your biceps and hold for 30 seconds before relaxing.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/513012-discrete-exercises-you-can-do-sitting-in-a-chair/#ixzz2HJ1lGVBn

This was amazing. Thanks!

I've been working in an office for years and always assumed that correct diet and working out and exercising outside of work were fine and helped to counteract that. Then I read this the other day and got freaked out:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think

I'm going to be buying an exercise ball in the next week or so and begin trying some of these exercises throughout the day.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the good advice. I appreciate it all. :)
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How about doing your job while seated at your desk and setting aside 25 mins before or after work for exercise? Or am i taking crazy again?

Well I probably work about 2 hours through out my day, the rest I am surfing the web. SO why not instead of searching the web, do some exercises at my desk. Pardon me for attempting to do some exercises while sitting at my desk. Thank you and have a GREAT day! :happy: