Lifting while training for a marathon....

Options
I am beginning to train for a full marathon with the intent of walk/running it (ideally only walking through the water stops)....with that in mind I don't want to give up on lifting but I have had my former personal trainer tell me I cannot lift while training for the marathon as they contradict each other. Anyone out there successful in doing both?

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep doing it - just cut back the days (go down to 2-3 days a week from wherever you are and maybe cut the time). Marathon training shouldn't mean that you stop doing everything but running. You need to strength train (at least a little) and you need to cross train to avoid injury.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Last time I trained for the half I cut out weights, but did bodyweight workouts for strength - mainly because I was tired of the gym. Worked great. The time previously I still lifted - and lifted heavy - but 2 days a week. One for lower, and one for upper. That's it. The mileage that's needed in marathon training is so high it does need to be your focus.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is quite difficult. I've tried doing it while training for three marathons and I find that at the end of the day, the mileage takes over and you're body can only handle so much of a beating. I try to lift twice per week to keep my muscles strong, but I'm tapped out at that.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    im to am training for a marathon, but mines is a half marathon and im goin to do P90X with my training. It will be my first half marathon (i already did a 5k - with no training = 29mins) so im goin to take that chance and see what happens :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to a question of efficiency/effectiveness. Can you lift while you run? Sure, but your running performance may suffer. Similarly, can you run while bulking? Sure, but your bulking may suffer. It's not that you can't do it, it's just that it's not IDEAL.

IME, it's far more important to be at race weight come race season than it is to be strictly running (or biking or whatever), assuming you don't have high level performance goals in mind.

I lift all winter (my off season), then slowly begin to taper my lifting in late winter. I still lift during the season, but much less often, and focus more on volume than weight.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is crazy! I wouldn't train for a marathon and a body-building competition at the same time... but mixing cardio and strength is perfect.

I am running my first full marathon Sunday, and also training for an Ironman. Building/maintaining muscle strength is key. I incorporate lots of yoga and pilates into my training program (I don't lift heavy, never have, but no reason not to). I also do some of the p90x videos for arm/shoulder and core strength.

Cross training will help you avoid injury, and so will strengthening your muscles. Running will identify which ones need work as those will be the ones that hurt the most :)

Good luck with training!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a half marathon myself, and I lift three times a week. However, I only started lifting again last month, and my half is this Sunday. After this half, I'm cutting my mileage down from 24-25 miles per week to around 15 and focusing more on speed and strength training again.
  • Woolooloo
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing, first marathon is in March. I'm continuing to lift, in fact I'm starting a new lifting routine (StrongLifts 5x5). Your trainer is right, they are working at cross purposes, but it doesn't mean you won't get a benefit from both. I know I won't put on as much muscle lifting as I would as if I cut my cardio, but it will help me retain what I've got. And I know I might be sore from lifting when I run, but I can deal with that. And any muscle I develop from squats and deadlifts can only be beneficial to my running.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 1st half following Hal Higdon's training program. That program has you strength training one day a week, then run 3 days, rest 1, cross train 1, then a long run on Sunday.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I ran my first maraton in October and I found it hard to keep up with weights and the running. I found the training for my runs wore me out, so I did not do weights during my training. Good luck!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is crazy! I wouldn't train for a marathon and a body-building competition at the same time... but mixing cardio and strength is perfect.

I am running my first full marathon Sunday, and also training for an Ironman. Building/maintaining muscle strength is key. I incorporate lots of yoga and pilates into my training program (I don't lift heavy, never have, but no reason not to). I also do some of the p90x videos for arm/shoulder and core strength.

Cross training will help you avoid injury, and so will strengthening your muscles. Running will identify which ones need work as those will be the ones that hurt the most :)

Good luck with training!

this^^

You won't be able to do a bodybuilding type routine...but strength training twice a week is often part of running training...especially if your goal is to just finish.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    While I've never done any serious weight training, I have done two marathons, and have been part of a running community for several years. The general agreement there is that serious weight training and marathon training don't work well together. How many running days does your training plan call for? Perhaps you could do a bit of weight training on your non-running days. I think it's important, though, to make sure your body gets at least one recovery day a week. Marathon training takes a lot of time as the mileage builds up is tough on a body.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half marathon in the first part of my training for a body building competition (figure) last year. My race was in February, the competition was in April. It was hard.
    I decided to train for a marathon in May this year and decided against competing for the simple fact it would be possible to do both.
    As others have said, you won't be able to make progress in both
    I do plan on continuing to weight train, but will change my workouts. In the plan I am using, Hal Higdon says that if you are strength training, you can continue but you may want to reduce weight when you hit double digit runs.
    The biggest issues for me was timing of runs. Long runs and lifting were not good. I also was careful when planning leg day.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Good luck with training!

this^^

You won't be able to do a bodybuilding type routine...but strength training twice a week is often part of running training...especially if your goal is to just finish.

I agree that your trainer is crazy.

I've run 6 full marathons. The first 2 I didn't do any weight lifting/strength training during my marathon training. My times were 4:34 and 4:48.

Since then I've added more & more weight lifting to my routine....right now I'm just on the last couple stages of NROLFW and about ready to hop into training for marathon #7.

With each subsequent marathon I've added more weight lifting and less running. My times dropped to 4:17 and 4:04 for marathons # 3 & 4. This past June I ran my fastest marathon ever doing 3x running per week and 2-3x lifting. I ran 3:50.

I will say that there comes a point when your running mileage is at its peak where you will have to scale back on the lifting...it just gets to be too much. I usually dropped down to just once a week during that time. I also scaled back when I was tapering because my intent was to just let my body recoup from all the training I had put it through the past few months so I would be rested and as fresh as possible when I got to the starting line.

Good luck to you!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't an elite athlete and your primary goal is to finish, then you should continue to include strength training @ 1-2 x/week. Strong muscles and core will help carry you over those last few miles when the rest of you wants to give out. Remember those muscles are there to hold our body upright. If we don't keep them strong we are subjecting our bodies to potential increased risk for injury. Generally we see the strength training take a back seat primarily due to the amount of time required for marathon training. It's like having a part time job, really! 1-2 days of a full body workout is a great way to maintain your muscle strength and doesn't require a huge time committment.
  • jodiebarrette
    jodiebarrette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses...I was planning on weight training 3 days per week and running 3 days per week with one day of rest; however, I think I may change that to 2 days of lifting with 4 days of running! Thanks! :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Good luck with training!

I agree with this!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You may have to lift differently, but I wouldn't give up your lifting. Lunges, core work step ups all help prevent injury from running.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was training for a half marathon but fell off my bike and bruised my ribs, so I'm gonna take it back to 5km. I keep lifting, although now most exercises are killing my ribs, but trying to get back on track gradually.

The contradicting part is that if the lifting is meant to get bigger, it will slow down your running, and running will interfere with building muscle. But if it's for strength, and/or to get toned, by all means. Do get plenty of rest though.