filling in your food diary

Options
Just wondered when you filled in your diary! I have started doing mine the night before for my main meals for the following day so I know what I am eating and know how many calories I have left for snacks :) do you fill it in as you eat or at the end ot the day? Thanks

Replies

• fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do it as I eat. I am not organized enough to know what I will eat, or what I will want to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. I usually log in the morning while I'm eating my breakfast, including all meals and snacks for the day...beverages, etc. I have to make adjustments from time to time, but I like knowing exactly where I stand. I don't like having to check MFP to see if I can have something or not...it's already budgeted and I know exactly if I'm over/under/near goal.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    During the week I fill mine in up to afternoon snack with what I plan to take to work for the day. If I know what I'm making for dinner I'll fill that in too.

But I tend to update it throughout the day and change it as needed.

On weekends I update as I go since I don't have a real plan on those days like I do at work.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I guess I am an "oddball" then because I am kinda in the middle. I prelog the things I know. Breakfast and lunch because they have to be taken to work and I know what they will be. Unfortunately, Dinner is another matter. I always have to wait until after to log it because I am never sure what I am going to have. Guess it is just a matter of finding what works best for you.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I fill mine in as I eat. I wouldn't stick to any plans I made lol
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I guess I am an "oddball" then because I am kinda in the middle. I prelog the things I know. Breakfast and lunch because they have to be taken to work and I know what they will be. Unfortunately, Dinner is another matter. I always have to wait until after to log it because I am never sure what I am going to have. Guess it is just a matter of finding what works best for you.

Pretty much this. I pre-log most of my snacks, too, since I take those to work with me. But after work stuff usually gets logged right around the time I eat it (sometimes right before, sometimes right after). Just depends on how close to budget I am. If I'm really close I pre-log so I can prepare my food so I don't go over. If I've got tons of room I just eat and log afterward.
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I pre-log and then make changes as needed - it works best for me this way. Since it's easy enough to change things if I don't eat something or eat more/less of another I like to be able to juggle my diary before I've eaten half my calories before 2:00
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. And if I find that I am running out of calories for the day I either slow down on eating or just have a smaller portion for supper.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I normally fill it out as I go, unless I know what's already planned for dinner. If I know, I'll add it whenever.

The most important thing for me though is to add water as I finish it, otherwise I forget how much I've had!
  • vwpiper
    vwpiper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I fill mine in as I eat. It helps me slow down and stretch out what I am eating. I just make sure to look things up BEFORE I eat them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals, then add snacks later. I go through each night and make sure that day is correct, then pre-log the meals for the next day.
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm another fill as I go-er.