calorie intake

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i just have a hard time eating them back

Then don't exercise as much. If your goal is simple weight loss, you don't need to exercise. And you probably shouldn't (at least not as much) if your diet can't support it.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    the only exercise i do is walking i have an app that counts my steps per day
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    i eat atleast 1000 calories a day, but i burn like 600 plus calories a day

No you don't burn 600 a day, that's just exercise calories. you also burn calories surviving, pumping your blood, growing hair, nails, repairing muscles, going to the bathroom, walking around etc.

I checked your diary - one day you ate 1000, had 1400 remaining, that alreday has a defict in it, so you probably created a defict of almost 2000 calories.

you should eat more.
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    the only exercise i do is walking i have an app that counts my steps per day

Counting your steps doens't tell you calories burned since everyone burns at a different rate. Invest in an HRM and get a better idea of what you're buring.

In the meantime, read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/840082-a-sad-realization
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Add veggies with healthy fats to your diet. Also, a handful of nuts now and then.

You definitely need to add in veggies.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so you eat back your exercise calories. You should never eat less than your BMR. This sounds unhealthy. You will end of having health issues due to lack of nutrition. I suggest you consult with a doctor.

There are plenty of healthy foods that you can add to a high protein diet and still loose weight. Almonds, avocado, greek yogurt, string cheese, etc. You need to add calorie dense foods to get your calories up.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time eating all of your calories... Trying eating full fat items of the stuff you do eat, like full fat cheese Vs. reduced fat cheese, drink 1% or 2% milk vs. Skim milk, etc.... These fuller fat items have more calories but you'll be eating about the same amount... so like you'll still be drinking a glass of milk but that glass of milk has more calories making it easier for you to reach your recommended calories a day.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    1. How much do you weigh?

2. I am always doubtful of a 700 calorie burn in 60 mins of zumba, but if you are very large it is possible.

3. You aren't eating enough anyway. 1000 calories isn't enough to survive. Your diet is great, just focus on adding a few small, calorie dense items like peanut butter or other nuts.

4. I'd be constipated if I were you. More veggies and fibre!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie burns are a little inflated but I need to ask some questions to be sure. When you're doing this walking, are you really walking fast and/or walking uphill or are you just sort of strolling along like walking to the bathroom at work?

Here's the difference.. I can walk 4+ mph and burn about 400 calories in an hour. Or I can walk closer to 3 mph and maybe burn 200 calories per hour. Effort means everything. Number of steps has little to do with calorie burn.

Also, I think I saw 677 calories for 45 minutes of Zumba. That seems pretty high to me too. Where did you get this from?
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think that you are over estimating your calories burned through walking ...
  • maaky3
    maaky3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Better off having a protein shake at the end of the day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You should never net below your BMR (Base Metobolic Rate). Doing so for extended periods of time can send you into metabolic stall and you can cause a lot of damage to your internal organs. You need to educate yourself a little more on how this site works, general nutrition, and fitness.

I personally think you're significantly overestimating your exercise calories using a step counter. If you're going to log exercise, just log actual exercise that is outside of your daily routine. It sounds like you have a job or something where you are up and walking around a lot...maybe look into properly setting up your profile to reflect that and then just log actual exercise (i.e. an aerobic event where your heart rate is above 120 for more than 20 minutes).
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP estimates for your calories burned, you're not burning 600. I've found that it generally gives me an estimate that's about twice what my HRM tells me. But even if that's true in your case, you're still eating too few calories.