Protein Sources without Dairy

Options
So I really, really, like REALLY, need to bump up my protein intake, but it's pretty hard since my body rejects all things lactose and whey. I don't eat any dairy at all, and watch out for these in other food products. So outside of eating chicken and tuna (the most affordable lean protein I can find) does anyone have suggestions?

I do enjoy clif builder bars in replacement of a protein shake. I've also stopped eating rice and pasta and put Quinoa in it's place and have added nuts into my diet, but that also gets expensive. I hear beans are good, too, so any bean dish recipes would be appreciated.

Basically I need more protein, without dairy, and I'm on a budget. Help?

Replies

• FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Edamame chicken avocado turkey egg whites protein shakes (good investment)
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like Sun Warrior protein powders. 1 scoop = 17 grams of protein. All plant based (Vegan). Then there's chicken, fish, steak... (If you eat animal proteins)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What about a different kind of protein shake? There are many other than whey option.

Soy protein (they make me gassy, but some people like them?)
    Hemp protein (I use hemp protein in my salads)

What about beans? Tofu? Lentils?
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/
    I do 2t or less salt and some cayenne instead of the jalapeno since I have it in the spice rack. It's really good, super easy and SO cheap to make. I make bean & cheese burritos but you could easily sub some veggies in for the cheese.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish, eggs, organ meats like liver, dried soya chunks or crumbles, peanut butter. Other canned fish are cheaper than tuna here in the UK - mackerel and pilchards (large sardines) for example and you also get 'free' essential fatty acids and minerals if you eat the crumbly bones.
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts have a good amount of protein, for a vegetable.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll be following this thread with interest. My breastfed daughter is allergic to cow's milk protein and her tummy aches if I eat eggs. Fish makes me throw up and I don't like soy-based protein sources...
    I survive on lean meat and pulses at the moment, but it is getting boring.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Meat is the best source of protein. Don't get hung up on trying to eat super-lean meat all the time. Have a burger or steak once a week. Throw in a pork chop or pork steak once a week. Variety is the spice of life.
  • andreamossy
    andreamossy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Almond milk!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    beef jerky.....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Cereal
    Beef Jerky
    Eggs
    Meaaaaaaaaat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meat, Poultry, Fish. Legumes are good, but they are not a complete protein...to make them complete, you would have to include a bit of meat in there, but not a whole lot. Switch it up, it doesn't always have to be chicken or turkey...have a nice steak once a week...throw in a burger and some pork chops, etc. Try different kinds of fish and shell fish.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    beans of many varieties
    lentils
    quinoa, which you seem to have discovered :)
    eggs

^most protein bang for the buck, outside of plain meat. and lactose/whey free!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of tofu and beans. Loaded with protein. I also use protein powder. Sunwarrior. It is a vegetarian protein powder.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    All beans and lentils.

Black beans, kidney beans, Indian dhal, vegetarian chili, split peas, houmous.

Also quinoa and other whole grains are amazing sources of protein.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WOW! My grocery list just blew up! Thanks!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Almond milk!

What kind are you getting? My almond milk only has 1g/serving.